Recipe What to serve with cornbread?

alexander

Über Member
Local time
8:43 PM
Mod.Edit - posts moved from another thread to form new discussion. Please feel free to add any thought about what to serve with sweet or savoury cornbread - whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner time!

I'm going to make corn bread this weekend for Sunday brunch. In USA is it served with anything particular for breakfast or brunch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but was using a smart phone so it a pain to type everything in full. I'm going to make corn bread this weekend for Sunday brunch. In USA is it served with anything particular for breakfast or brunch?

It usually isn't served for breakfast or brunch that I'm aware of. It is served most often with dinner or supper as part of the whole meal, especially in the south and isn't usually a sweet version. Sometimes fresh/frozen corn kernels are added to the batter. Classic southern style is done in a cast iron pan with bacon drippings. Personally, I like chopped/diced jalapenos in mine.

I think you might be confusing corn bread with Ho cakes or Johnny cakes which are corn batter pancakes that are often eaten for breakfast/brunch.

In USA is it served with anything particular for breakfast or brunch?

Any number of meats and eggs, hash browns etc is my simple response.

But your other half is dairy free - and presumably vegetarian? I've no idea how to reply to your query because the last time I was in the US was in the early 90s and vegetarianism was still a rarity then (perhaps it still is).

I don't know either if you're making a standard cornbread (which was the recipe I pointed you to) or a sweet cornbread (which is where you continue to post).

If the former then I suggest you use 'Google' to see what US vegetarians eat alongside cornbread (because I haven't the faintest idea - I'd have to Google it too - and I really can't be bothered).

If the latter, I can tell you that, for breakfast, I love it with sarrasin/caraway bread smeared with apricot jam, pain au raisin and very very strong coffee (and at least two cigarettes). But I haven't a clue how it would be eaten in the US - they seem to have a dislike for sweet cornbread in the southern states, that I do know. Maybe your query should be directed at someone who actually lives in the US, rather than a Brit who lives in France (who really doesn't get very excited about authenticity but who does enjoy wilful culinary misappropriation).

Have a nice weekend

It was in Shoney's in Atlanta back in 1984 !

Shoney's, Stucky's and the like are considered roadside tourist traps, I've eaten at both when I was younger. I'm not surprised they would serve it at breakfast, but I'm talking about folks home cooking.

It was in Shoney's in Atlanta back in 1984 !

Are you sure you didn't have hoecakes or Johnny cakes, which are basically pancakes? They are considered breakfast food (though are also eaten at other times of day as well), unlike the type of cornbread you are making. I personally love to eat them (after being slathered with butter) with beef stew.

I am southern and other than in some deli/diner type places that serve a small assortment of breads/pastries as a "treat" for the table while you are waiting for your food to arrive, I've never seen cornbread like you are making served for breakfast. I might add that in retrospect as a grown up and a bit wiser, these were probably left over from the day before as they were cut up in 1 or 2 bite size pieces.

Shoney's was a favorite restaurant of my parents and we would go for Sunday brunch after church a lot, as well as eat there when on vacation road trips, and I don't remember ever seeing cornbread like you are making on the menu for breakfast, even within the last 5 years or so when I was traveling from South Florida by car to rural Mississippi a lot due to my dad's decline.

BTW, I totally disagree with Craig's comparison of Stuckey's and Shoney's. They are very different. Stuckey's was a gas station, souvenir/junk/candy store (although they did make some pretty good candy), order at the counter, pick up your own food restaurant with a pretty limited menu for the most part. Shoney's was and is a sit-down wait for your waitress restaurant. Stuckey's were also located just off Interstates or major highways, whereas Shoney's were more in-town restaurants that might be close to those places.

I did find this:
I think some cornbread is traditionally made using bacon fat so maybe it would be good with bacon?

A lot of women back in the day would keep a big tin can of bacon grease on the stove to use as they cooked. It stayed there 24/7, never saw the inside of a refrigerator, just had new grease added every day when they fried bacon.

Are you sure you didn't have hoecakes or Johnny cakes, which are basically pancakes? They are considered breakfast food

I thought I'd eaten cornbread for breakfast at Shoney's - but maybe you're right, it could have been something else. Part of the problem with remembering is that (apart from the fact that it was 34 years ago) it was an 'Eat all you want for $8' breakfast buffet - and there was just so much food on display. Incidentally, I was told that Shoney's had disappeared (bankruptcy ? Chaper 11?) about 15 years ago - if it is still in business, then that's pleasing news.

If I didn't eat cornbread in Shoney's, I do know that I did eat it in the backwoods of North Georgia (real home cooking). Two types - the standard cornbread (if you like) and a Special cornbread that contained peppers & onions, and probably cheese. I could have sworn that I ate the standard cornbread for breakfast with eggs and grits.

unlike the type of cornbread you are making.

Do you mean the sweet cornbread that I've been making recently - or the simple cornbread that I referred the poster too? If it's the sweet cornbread, then I'm not surprised you've not come across it before. It's just me playing with ingredients and ideas. If I like what I've made - like the almond/strawberry then I'll make it again. If I don't like it much - as with the raisin/orange - then I just forget about it. I'll continue to share my ideas (successful or otherwise) on here and if anyone's inspired enough to follow my ideas, then that's good - but if not, then it doesn't worry me in the slightest. I did make the point above that I found that sweet cornbread worked for me as a breakfast food, but not as a dessert. I'd guess that as a good southerner you're probably against the whole concept of sweet cornbread anyway, but as an excellent and intuitive cook, aren't you just a little bit interested in some of these ideas?

I think this sweet cornbread thread gets more confusing by the day - but that doesn't matter if we can still use it as a conduit to share ideas and memories.

No, I was referring to baking it in the oven type of cornbread for breakfast versus pan frying like pancakes,i.e. the hoecakes/Johnny cakes.

Yes, there are still some Shoney's around, though no where near as plentiful back when I was a preteen/teen. There is 1 about 25 minutes from where my dad lived, which was the closest town that had a decent sized grocery store. And, on an all-you-eat buffet, there might very well have been cornbread, especially since most places like to have a lot of fillers.

I actually prefer sweet. I think I wrote in one of your cornbread threads that to eat by itself, I add a little sugar. If I'm using it in another recipe, like dressing/stuffing, no sugar.

Most often I see cornbread served with chili (soups or stews), or hot dogs on a stick (corn dogs). The hot dog is dipped in cornbread batter and deep fried. Or, cornbread croutons on top of a salad.

Last edited:
Cornbread, greens and white beans that were cooked with a ham hock or bits of leftover ham.

Cornbread and fried chicken and greens.

Cornbread based stuffing/dressing with roasted chicken or turkey.

Hushpuppies with fried fish.

As I wrote previously, with beef stew.

Anadama bread, which is very good as a breakfast bread with cinnamon and toast.

Back
Top Bottom