What type of kettle do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:56 PM
I'm aware that many people in the USA don't have electric kettles. I'm not entirely sure why that is as they are incredibly useful and fast. I'd say almost everyone in the UK has an electric kettle. I use it all the time for so many things - not just for making tea. What kind of kettle do you have and how do you use it?

Here is my brand new (cordless) electric kettle. I love the electric blue when its switched on. It wasn't a very expensive kettle.

fullsizeoutput_618a.jpeg

I read an article about this not so long ago. I'll have to see if I can find it again. I know one of the I-never-thought-of-that reasons was that US electric is 110 and U.K. electric is 220, and that means kettles here aren't nearly as fast to boil as they are there.

I do use one, and I'll post a pic later, when I'm not cooking.

Here's mine!! I use it mainly to boil water for instant coffee or hot chocolate in the morning. The on/off button is at the top of the handle. Lights up in amber when it's on. It's a Mainstays (Walmart brand)

Last edited:
Here's my kettle, electric and ceramic, but I like it, even if it is a little heavy.

That's the house brand for home electrics sold by ALDI (at least in the US).

I use it for whatever I need hot water for - pot of tea, ramen noodles, etc.

Its certainly eye-catching!

As for tea, I'll generally use the kettle if I'm making a full pot, because there's a minimum amount of water that has to be boiled, and it's more than a single cup.

If I'm just making one cup of tea, like in the evening, I'll almost always use the Keurig. It heats the water to just under boiling, so it's not the "perfect" cup of tea, but it's close. :)

The next time I use my kettle (probably tomorrow morning), I'll time how long it takes to boil the minimum amount of water and report my findings. Science demands it! :laugh:

Haven't owned a kettle for a long time. When I did it went on a stove top burner.
My mom still uses a whistling one, but she keeps it sat on a burner on low all day, then boils it over and over every time she wants some hot water. Drives me crazy.

Electric, but we do have a stove top one as back up, in event of power cuts. More importantly, our new kitchen tap arrived today, and a plumber has been found to fit it tomorrow. Probably will be the most exciting thing to happen all week.

Back
Top Bottom