What type of onions do you use to cook with?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:30 AM
There are many kinds out there to choose from. I like to use the big yellow Spanish ones. There's more to them, & you get done faster, Slicing or chopping them.

Which ones do YOU like to use? :wink:

If i need to cook an onion i get a vidalia but generally just buy green onions for salads, sandwiches, and tacos.

If i need to cook an onion i get a vidalia but generally just buy green onions for salads, sandwiches, and tacos.

What do you mean by green onions? Terminology confusion - in UK green onions isn't a term used - are you referring to what in the UK are called Spring onions?

ONI-073z.jpg

Also - are scallions different from Spring onions? In recipe translations from US to UK scallions are usually translated as Spring onions. But I read somewhere that they are different. :scratchhead:

We don't have Vidalia onions in the UK. In fact, I've noticed that unlike some other vegetables which are often labelled with the particular variety, onions seem to be mainly sold as one of three generic types: brown, red or 'sweet mild' onions - although you can get pink 'Rosana' or pink Roscoff onions sometimes.

There are also shallots both 'banana' and round shaped available as well as small brown onions for pickling. Also the Spring onions mentioned above.

I pretty much use all of them depending on the dish.

Last edited:
I've always seen spring onions/scallions/green onions used interchangeably. Although, I've also seen the young onion plants that you can ONLY get in the spring that look like giant green onions/scallions except they have a more bulbous white part labeled as spring onions.

For everyday (?) use/cooking, mostly yellow/brown and scallions.

Brown onions for most things, apart from sauces or lighter fish dishes then its shallots.

I try to do everything with red onions. And, generally it seems to work. It adds color, and I like the results, even though they’re more expensive than white or yellow onions. And, to be honest, red onions are what I keep around all the time, so it’s a convenience thing for me, too.

I buy 'wonky' brown onions. Supermarkets in the UK have started selling veg that are not perfectly shaped a lot cheaper. Some I can't tell the difference, but the onions tend to be a lot smaller and so more time-consuming to chop, but unless I am batch-cooking curry, I tend to not mind. One day I'll have a food processor again and can shop then in seconds.

I'm not a fan of Spanish onions as I find the layers too think.

Spring onions and red onions for salads.

I try to do everything with red onions.

Interesting - the one thing I find an issue with red onions is that its easy to burn them or undercook when trying to caramelise because they are already dark in colour. But I do use them a lot too. They aren't that much more expensive here.

Interesting - the one thing I find an issue with red onions is that its easy to burn them or undercook when trying to caramelise because they are already dark in colour.
Come to think of it, you’re right. I haven’t tried caramelizing them often, but I do have to keep my eye on them the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom