What type of vegetable peeler do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:38 AM
When I was a kid my Mum & Dad always used this type of peeler:

In fact, I'm not sure there was any other type available. Much later I came across the 'swivel' type which I didn't much like.

Finally I discovered the Y shaped peeler. I don't think they were even available in the UK when I was younger. I couldn't believe how much easier and faster they worked. Also they are great for making wide ribbons from cucumbers, courgettes and other vegetables.

Now I know some people don't like the 'Y' shaped peeler but I don't understand why. What type of peeler do you use and why?

We had one of these when I was growing up:
81oWAiuFebL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But I now have the same Oxo Y shaped one above - my first one eventually broke so I just replaced it like with like because its the best I've ever used.

I don't like these all-metal Y shaped peelers though:
15805_1?$80$.jpg

I find them really uncomfortable to use.

My favorite 1 ever has been the Euro peeler I just bought and mentioned in the Kitchen Toys thread. It's as sharp as a good knife and comfortable to hold. Have always used the straight peeler types. The Y ones just feel odd to use to me.

I much prefer the Y variety.
the supermarket used to sell a type with a ceramic blade - they were super sharp - but the ceramic blade was mounted in plastic, the plastic would break after 2-3 months - so I'm using the OXOs

I use the Oxo Peeler sisters:

The Y peeler works better on some things and the straight peeler works better on others.

The Y peeler works better on some things and the straight peeler works better on others.

I haven't found this but I'm willing to be convinced - which things does a straight peeler work best on? I have to add I don't have a straight peeler and have probably not used one since the 70's.

I haven't found this but I'm willing to be convinced - which things does a straight peeler work best on? I have to add I don't have a straight peeler and have probably not used one since the 70's.
I'm faster on potatoes with the straight peeler, and it has the purpose-made tip on it for digging out the eyes.

The Y peeler is great on big items, like a butternut squash.

I had one that I bought in the early '80's. They eventually get dull. Wasn't a problem. I just replaced it. Yes!! Oxo products are very good!! They last a long time. I just love their mixing bowls!! :whistling:

I have the swivel type. Alas it has gone missing in this kitchen. So atm until I find it, or break down and buy a dedicated peeler, I am simply using a paring knife, which admittedly loses a lot of the veggie being peeled.

Mom and Dad always used the swivel type. So I think they've been around a long while.

Back
Top Bottom