What Unusual (i.e. "Necessary") Cooking Gadgets Do You Have?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:55 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Pots and pans. Knives and spoons. Bowls, whisks, sieves...everyone has these in their kitchen, even people who don't cook. But, what about the fun stuff? What did you see someone use on "Chopped" that you decided you *had* to have? And, better question: do you actually use them? Here are some things that I own that I know most people don't have (or think they need, for that matter).

Meat Grinder - I bought a hand-operated one, and ended up breaking it by trying too hard to tighten the parts. Grinding meat by hand is a pain anyway: besides being labor-intensive, it takes so long that the meat warms up and becomes progressively harder to grind without smearing. The one I bought to replace it is superb, and not that much more expensive ($60 vs $40):
Vacuum Sealer - This sat for a few months before I finally used it; I had some vague idea of using with a sous vide machine (which I don't own...yet). But, I've found this indispensable when making sausage (portion it, vacuum seal it, freeze what I don't need for now). I also frequently use it to season meats before cooking (put all the goodies in a bag with the meat, let it rest, then cut open later and enjoy the deep flavors). The one I got was $100, but it's been marked down to half that:

Ricer - I realize that this isn't exactly exotic, but not many people I know own one. I've mostly used it when making gnocchi, but occasionally find other uses (like squeezing water out of watery vegetables).

Brulee Torch - Not particularly expensive, but I'm the only one I know who owns one. I've mostly just used this for Creme Brulee (of course), but I've also used it to quick roast/blacken the skin of peppers when I didn't feel like firing up the grill.

Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker - I bought this for ultra cheap on eBay, minus the freezer bowl (which cost $20). I use it entirely for churning the ice cream, but that alone makes it indispensable:

Spiralizer - The most underutilized tool in my kitchen. I bought it because...well...I *needed* it. I tried twirling some vegetables, just as a test, but I really do need to get going and start using it.

Gnocchi Roller - My wife bought me this, and I have used it when I feel like putting the characteristic grooves on my gnocchi. But, usually, I'm not thinking about presentation, so I skip it.

THINGS I HAVE THAT I'M NOT COUNTING FOR THIS LIST: mandoline, pressure cooker, quail egg scissors (a quail egg PEELER would have been useful, however)

WISH LIST: 1) Sous vide machine; 2) mortar and pestle; 3) salamander (no...I'm not kidding; I *need* one of these!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Own nearly everything on your list except the vacuum sealer. Owned one but used it so much the vacuum broke. When I called the company (which has now been bought out), they told me that I didn't know how to use it so I didn't buy a new one. Haven't missed it either.

I couldn't live without my food choppers. (Veg-o-matic and a manual food chopper)

As to the spiralizer, with just the main blade, it is great for potatoes (steam 10 minutes) and doing onions for cooking.

My old fashioned potato masher.

My Zyliss cheese grater.

My cast iron pizza pan. Except I use it as a griddle. Ideal for tortillas and steaks. It lives in the oven.

20170330_133633.jpg spiralizer and blades20170330_133642.jpg main blade20170330_133646.jpg optional blades20170330_133802.jpg with a potato inserted20170330_133710.jpg spiralizer with main blade only

Attachments

• 20170330_133710.jpg
    20170330_133710.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 238
PS: Do not attempt to spiralize a frozen cooked potato.
I just learned that when I used a frozen baked potato.

I don't know why but I hadn't considered spiralising potato but I will now! Thanks @Cinisajoy! Regarding the onion; how does that work? Onions are not solid like potatoes so doesn't it break into fragments?

20170330_141646.jpg

I don't know why but I hadn't considered spiralising potato but I will now! Thanks @Cinisajoy! Regarding the onion; how does that work? Onions are not solid like potatoes so doesn't it break into fragments?
Some of it will come apart but hold on. Spiralized onion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom