What would you not eat?

Sticky Fingers

Local time
9:24 PM
Is there anything you have not tried that you would not eat?
I told my wife that I did not like elvers (baby eels), have you tried them she said, No, so I did and I did not have a second fork full and spat out the rest.
I don't like elvers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Endangered species. I won't eat those. Okay, I did eat bluefin tuna about ten or so years back, but I was not properly informed.

Natto. I don't mind okra slime, but natto just looks so WRONG. Hundred year old eggs fall into the same category.

No primates and no housecats.

No fake cheese, especially if it pretends to melt - I mean, what's IN that???

I'd probably try anything else (and in some cases, already have...)

I don't know. A lot of the stuff people mention here, because we're all in different countries and cultures, I don't even know what it is.

I know I've never had seafood that I've liked, apart from fish and chips, and then I really want the batter, not the fish, so if it comes from the ocean, whether I've heard of it or not, I'm not eating it.

I try to be respectful of other cultures and I also logically understand that just because I grew up thinking of cows as food and dogs as pets, not everyone did, so I shouldn't be judgmental, but I absolutely would not eat a dog, not just because they're pets, but because they've developed right along side us and do so much for us besides companionship (which is reason enough for me); drug detectors, bomb sniffers, police work, cancer and seizure identifiers, seeing-eye, etc. Dogs are off the menu for me.

No bugs, no snakes, no spiders. I don't even think of those as food anyway.

Smoked eel is one of my faves, a friend swaps stuff with me.
Agree on the dog, it's a no no. I used to breed German Shepards.

Russ

Endangered species. No brainer.

Insects. Just can't wrap my head around that.

Any delecacy that is poisonous if not prepared exactly right. Well, unless I am already dying from some terminal disease, then I might roll the dice. It might make a tasty meal after an afternoon of skydiving.

CD

I would not want to eat endangered species, no dogs or cats or insects ( cultural preference) , no things like feet or brains because I hate slippery textures. I'm ok with liver, heart and kidneys though.

Otherwise there is not much I would not try, except those things I can't eat because I have no colon. So no tough bits of leafy greens, raw nuts, sauerkraut or popcorn.

On the no-go list are endangered species, bugs, pets....
On reflection I will eat animals that are sustainably & ethically farmed or sustainably fished. I don't buy meat or fish from the supermarket but from a trusted butcher/fishmonger. I will also try to eat as much from a beast as I can (nose to tail philosophy) but I have to admit that tripe is beyond me.
Apparently insects are the next big protein source to tap into, but mentally I just can't go there. Also they are far more important to the planet as a species (than say sheep & cows) & we've forked it up enough without eradicating bugs by eating them. Saying that, I have had Australian green ants in gin

Endangered species. No brainer.

Insects. Just can't wrap my head around that.

Any delecacy that is poisonous if not prepared exactly right. Well, unless I am already dying from some terminal disease, then I might roll the dice. It might make a tasty meal after an afternoon of skydiving.

CD

If it is an animal or insect, it is venomous not poisonous.

If it is an animal or insect, it is venomous not poisonous.

If the animal or insect bites you, and injects you with the toxin, it is venomous. If you eat the animal or insect and swallow the toxin, it is poisonous.

The outcome is the same, either way.

CD

I watched Bear Grylls and David Walliams on TV last night barbecuing then eating a rat.

I would have to be a long way the other side of hungry before I could handle that.

Back
Top Bottom