Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely dislike Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc. If it´s going to be white, then a Sauvignon Blanc, preferably from Chile or Argentina, or an Italian such as Frascati or Pino Grigio.
Agreed!
But my pocketbook has made a turn towards Three Buck Chuck Sauvignon Blanc, formally known as Two Buck Chuck but as of late is now $3.49 :ohmy:

Do you like Ice Wines from Canada?
I used to adore them. It is now 30 since they amazed the wine world. My timing was bad as this was then when I left the country!
Now, I only like the riesling ice wines, I find vidal and others too sweet or out of balance for my taste. Sadly, they are now out of my price range!
The good news is that canada now produces some fantastic table wines, especially chardonnay and pinot noir from ON and many reds from BC.
How do you feel about California wines?
I found very few I enjoyed enough to buy. There seemed to be really cheap stuff (e.g. 2 buck chuck) or really expensive (e.g. harlan estate). Mid range that offered good value is hard to come by in the UK. Wente has always been ok and reliable though. My taste has now changed over the years and I much prefer the less bold and brash wines from OR or WA, than CA.
Texas doesn't have a large selection of wines, but we have a few that are good
Cannot recall tasting anything from TX, probably because I have only spent about 2 days max there and that was over 20 years ago! But I was surprised by the quality of kit coming out of NM, when I had a small holiday there. I would imagine they would be similar.
It is all a matter of matching grapes to soil and climate, IMHO
Very true.
I thought it was a Chardonnay?
It is indeed.
As is chablis, which often surprises the folk who claim not to like chardonnay. The difficulty with chardonnay, when first trying wine is that the difference between chablis (clean, fresh, bright, no oak) to a big, bold, full-bodied, high abv chardy from california or australia, for example, is that they are polar opposites and taste nothing like each other. Much trial and error is required to find something you might like!

I sincerely dislike....Chenin Blanc
That is a shame. I believe chenin to be one of the world's most underrated grape varieties.
There are fantastic examples coming out of south africa and the hugely diverse range available from its homeland in the Loire Valley is astonishing. Sparkling, bone dry, medium dry, sweet, oaked and unoaked. Have you tried all these styles?

And good examples can mature for decades! About 15 years ago, while spending time in the Loire region, we decided to splash out at a restaurant one evening and we had a dry chenin - a truly memorable vouvray - that was over 40 years old. It was superb!

It is indeed.
As is chablis, which often surprises the folk who claim not to like chardonnay. The difficulty with chardonnay, when first trying wine is that the difference between chablis (clean, fresh, bright, no oak) to a big, bold, full-bodied, high abv chardy from california or australia, for example, is that they are polar opposites and taste nothing like each other. Much trial and error is required to find something you might like!

The strong oak flavor of many Chardonnays is what I don't like. I feel the same way about Porto -- I don't care much for tawny Portos. I prefer a good ruby Porto. I have often ordered a good vintage Porto after dinner instead of dessert.

CD

With the New Year comes resolutions, and number 1 resolution was "Dry January" a one month break from alcohol. I thought I would have to forsake this thread, but I found this non alcoholic beer to be palatable:
20211231_182734.jpg

With the New Year comes resolutions, and number 1 resolution was "Dry January" a one month break from alcohol. I thought I would have to forsake this thread, but I found this non alcoholic beer to be palatable:
View attachment 78646
It's very hard to find (around here, anyway), but Franziskaner do an NA beer that's actually good-tasting.

That is a shame. I believe chenin to be one of the world's most underrated grape varieties.
There are fantastic examples coming out of south africa and the hugely diverse range available from its homeland in the Loire Valley is astonishing. Sparkling, bone dry, medium dry, sweet, oaked and unoaked. Have you tried all these styles?
No, I haven´t really. most of my wines (as I live in Venezuela) come from Argentina, Chile, Uruguay. The sauvignon blanc are wonderful: fresh, grassy, perfectly acidic. I´ve tried torrontés and that is also on my list; however, the Chardonnay - even from the south - leave a floral aftertaste which I find disagreeable. The variations of Chardonnay, Chenin etc I´ve tasted from California - no way.
Perhaps I need convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom