Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACDB9F32-F4D0-4FBB-9967-8277050F7FEA.jpeg

This configuration represents the change from warm weather to cool weather. Sort of. From left: Samuel Adams Winter Lager (subtly representing the robustness of our winters, this drink has some character), with it’s polar (pun intended) opposite.

El Mayor Anejo Tequila is a spectacular bargain for $29.99. I’d say it’s similar to Corralejo tequila, which cost $10 more.

I got the Aztec warrior mask shot glass in Cancun. I love it and I’m afraid at the same time. I have a habit where I will only drink tequila out of a glass that’s from Mexico. Fortunately, I have a few of them. Each one tells a story, or more like a memory.

That, and I get to drink some really good tequila. To honor history, of course.

The salt is something I started a while ago: I save the salt at the bottom of pretzel bags. There’s usually enough for several shots. And, I like the character from being among pretzels.

Something I started doing with Anejo tequila: i’ve been sipping it, which you’re supposed to do with an Anejo. But, I’ve also used the lime and salt, like a reposado shot. I also lick the salt off my hand, which you’re also supposed to do with tequila shots.

I really want to taste the tequila. I think, when you do a shot, you don’t get a chance to really enjoy it. Yes, it will make you drunk, which is great. But, as somebody who loves food, I want to enjoy every bit of it.

The Late Night Gourmet

Is that a dark tequila or a reflection from the counter top? I like margaritas. G likes to sip Patron. How would you describe the flavor difference between Patron and El Mayor Anejo? I may get G. a bottle for Christmas.

The Late Night Gourmet

Is that a dark tequila or a reflection from the counter top? I like margaritas. G likes to sip Patron. How would you describe the flavor difference between Patron and El Mayor Anejo? I may get G. a bottle for Christmas.
When you say Patron, I assume you mean Patrol Silver. That tends cleaner, whereas El Major Anejo will be more robust, like a bourbon.

Tequila is aged for varying periods of time in oak barrels. The longer they age, the darker they get as they take on the color (and the flavor) of the oak. The three types of tequila are:
  • Blanco - not aged at all. Literal translation from Spanish: white. USES: Often used for things like margaritas because the tend to be smoother (sort of the vodka of tequilas).
  • Reposado - aged 6-9 months. Literal translation from Spanish: restful. USES: When you say that you want a shot of tequila, this is the kind you'll get unless you specify otherwise.
  • Anejo - aged 1-3 years. Literal translation from Spanish: old. USES: Usually as a sipping tequila.
Just about every tequila maker produces all three types. The way these three types are used remained fairly unchanged for a very long time, but smart marketing from makers (like Patron) has resulted in people using them in different ways. That's why higher quality blancos (like Patron) are also used for shots and for sipping. NOTE: Patron "silver" is a blanco, but their branding makes it sound cooler.

The Late Night Gourmet

Is it too soon to put my Xmas order in,? lmao.

Russ

E57CAD9F-D60C-4123-85BC-6523A9CF0135.jpeg

Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale. I’ve had several scotch ales on Rose Street (Edinburgh) and this one from my hometown boys stacks up favorably. It doesn’t hurt that a 6 pack costs less than $10, or that the 8.5% alcohol content is almost like drinking two beers at the same time. Well done, boys. Well done.

Served in a glass I bought at in Ann Arbor outdoor beer garden. I won’t be enjoying outdoor drinking for a while, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy drinking.

Last edited:
More hot drinks last night - hot chocolate with Bailey's, whipped cream, and a little dusting of cinnamon.

Good to know. So what would you recommend for a sipping tequila?
Corralejo, Milagro, and Cazadores are all very good in Anejo form, as is El Mayor, for a mid range tequila. I would recommend you try any one of them. There are seriously so many very good tequilas out there that I really can’t single out just one.

The ultimate might just be Don Julio, but that is not cheap ($60+ for a bottle). Avion is also phenomenally good, at a similar price. I wouldn’t recommend trying one these if you don’t enjoy one of the mid range ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom