Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mussels were really cheap, so I figured the rest of the lunch budget would go on wine.

There was a TV series called The Beer Hunter, by a British writer called Michael Jackson (insert own jokes here). He wrote several books about beer and malt whisky.

When I worked for the accounting software company (reunion photo somewhere on the forum), we were aquirred by a British company out of Newcastle. The executives came over to have meetings with the senior management of our company, and when they introduced themselves, one guy's name was Michael Jackson. We all kind of looked at each other, not sure if he got the connection. He broke out laghing, and said, "Yes, my name really is Michael Jackson." :laugh:

CD

My sons friend at primary school was named Chris bacon. His middle name was after his father Paul.
Chris p bacon. I knew his dad as we were on board of trustees together, he had a wicked sense of humour. He named him that because he thought it was funny. True story.!!

Russ

When I worked for the accounting software company (reunion photo somewhere on the forum), we were aquirred by a British company out of Newcastle. The executives came over to have meetings with the senior management of our company, and when they introduced themselves, one guy's name was Michael Jackson. We all kind of looked at each other, not sure if he got the connection. He broke out laghing, and said, "Yes, my name really is Michael Jackson." :laugh:

CD
I'm going right off the theme here, but I slipped in a character called Mick Jackson into my novel. This was purely so that my antihero, a complete berk, could throw a heap of Michael Jackson song titles into the job interview that poor Mick was subjected to. My antihero, Vince, was based on an old boss I had and this was just the sort of dumb thing he'd have done.

1CAAF070-89B3-4364-879F-0FAF71C459E4.jpeg

I have been experimenting with my gin recipe, which I posted for the general berry challenge. This is my third batch. But, notice the difference between what I posted for the challenge on the left, and this new one on the right. I use kiwi instead of nectarines, but that clearly wasn’t what changed the color so dramatically.

The difference is the Juniper berries themselves. My previous batches are made with dried juniper berries, whereas these are packaged fresh berries. It seems that the flavor here is smoother, too.

I feel like I’ve made some sort of scientific breakthrough. Please don’t applaud me for my great sacrifice, since I have a feeling this will require more experimentation. It’s one I am happy to make in the interest of science.

Last edited:
whereas these are packaged fresh berries. It seems that the flavor here is smoother, too.

Hey - you are lucky to be able to get these. I've never seen them on sale here. Of course, if you were in Finland like Hemulen you would be able to pop into the garden and pick some!

Hey - you are lucky to be able to get these. I've never seen them on sale here. Of course, if you were in Finland like Hemulen you would be able to pop into the garden and pick some!
I reposted the image above, since I see it didn’t show up previously.

Here’s what mine look like:
E4B9AAFC-D4EA-4A6F-9DC7-233C8DF4FA1B.jpeg

I ordered them from amazon.com, but strangely I couldn’t find them on amazon.co.uk. They are made in turkey, so it seems strange that the plane delivering them would fly right over the rest of Europe and go straight to the US. The direct site is eatwellfood.net.

And, I think they actually are dried, though they look "cleaner"; the last batch of juniper berries looked more like this:

photos_113065514-stock-photo-dried-juniper-berries.jpg

Open last night: a small minipin of Hadrian Border Tyneside Blonde (3.9%).

Not surprisingly, this is a very pale beer. It has a light and fresh taste, with no really powerful characteristics. It's like a rather light IPA. There is a gentle fruitiness, mildly citrus. A very pleasant session ale.

Hadrian Border is quite a new brewery, but still has a somewhat complex history. It is the successor to the old Border Brewery in Berwick, which closed in 1994. The new brewery had to move and eventually took over the old Four Rivers Brewery in Newcastle. This was formerly the Hadrian Brewery and the names were merged.

The brewery has since moved again and has a new home in a different part of Newcastle.

The site of Hadrian's Wall runs through the city of Newcastle. One common misconception is the continued use of the term "north of Hadrian's Wall" to mean Scotland. This is lazy and wrong. The wall was never a border between England and Scotland. I was born north of the wall, but I was not born in Scotland. I was born in Northumberland, although if I were a bit younger, I would have been born in the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear, which came into being in 1974.

FFF89194-F0EC-47E3-877D-54B557B0C525.jpeg

How ridiculously awesome. I was helping my wife’s mom clear out the last of a storage unit, and I found these about to be thrown away. I have no idea how long these have been in here, but most likely over 30 years. Left to right:

1. Olde Frothingslosh - I think it’s a lager. There actually is beer still in the bottle, and I have three bottles. At some point, I will be drunk enough to try it and see if it’s any good. Very entertaining label.
  2. J.R. Ewing’s Private Stock - in the 1980s, many Americans watched a show called Dallas. It was about a wealthy oil family, and the drama that they inflicted on everybody. J.R. was the head of the family. I have no idea what kind of beer this is, but I would bet that it’s a lager. There is still beer in the can, but there’s only one can. Maybe if I get drunk enough to try the first one, I’ll open this one up. On the other hand, this could actually collect some money if I decided to sell it.
  3. A tankard, probably from Frankenmuth, in desperate need of cleaning. Maybe, I will try one of the first two in this when it’s clean enough.
  4. D.G. Yuengling Premium Beer. Maybe Ohio’s greatest export. TastyReuben: I assume you approve? Sadly, there is no beer left in the can. But, the new version of this (also a lager) is pretty great.
  5. Iron City Beer. A special edition to commemorate the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates baseball championship. No beer in the can, though it looks like it’s unopened.

Last edited:
View attachment 49568

How ridiculously awesome. I was helping my wife’s mom clear out the last of a storage unit, and I found these about to be thrown away. I have no idea how long these have been in here, but most likely over 30 years. Left to right:

1. Olde Frothingslosh - I think it’s a lager. There actually is beer still in the bottle, and I have three bottles. At some point, I will be drunk enough to try it and see if it’s any good. Very entertaining label.
  2. J.R. Ewing’s Private Stock - in the 1980s, many Americans watched a show called Dallas. It was about a wealthy oil family, and the drama that they inflicted on everybody. J.R. was the head of the family. I have no idea what kind of beer this is, but I would bet that it’s a lager. There is still beer in the can, but there’s only one can. Maybe if I get drunk enough to try the first one, I’ll open this one up. On the other hand, this could actually collect some money if I decided to sell it.
  3. A tankard, probably from Frankenmuth, in desperate need of cleaning. Maybe, I will try one of the first two in this when it’s clean enough.
  4. D.G. Yuengling Premium Beer. Maybe Ohio’s greatest export. TastyReuben: I assume you were approved? Sadly, there is no beer left in the can. But, the new version of this (also a lager) is pretty great.
  5. Iron City Beer. A special edition to commemorate the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates baseball championship. No beer in the can, though it looks like it’s unopened.

Yuengling is a Pennsylvania beer. Pottsville, PA. The oldest brewery still operating in the US. It was never swallowed up by the big beer companies, as so many others have.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom