Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R. Ewing’s Private Stock - in the 1980s, many Americans watched a show called Dallas. It was about a wealthy oil family, and the drama that they inflicted on everybody. J.R. was the head of the family. I have no idea what kind of beer this is, but I would bet that it’s a lager. There is still beer in the can, but there’s only one can. Maybe if I get drunk enough to try the first one, I’ll open this one up. On the other hand, this could actually collect some money if I decided to sell it.

The original Southfork Ranch was in Frisco, just a few blocks from where I live. They shot the Pilot there... and it burned down. They moved to another ranch in Parker, Tx - in the same county, but about 20 miles away. Al that is left now is the steel skeleton of the building. However, it is currently a working cattle and horse ranch.

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

CD

BTW, don't open the unopened cans. The beer with taste nasty, and you'll diminish the value of the can.

Also, the Pirates won the World series that season, and the Steelers won the Super Bowl that season. That may be worth something.

CD

I usually have a few bottles of Peroni 0,0% in the fridge; just opened one. It's mild and sweet enough; I've only recently started to drink beer - and understandably mainly bottom-fermented, light lagers (Pilsner). On an everyday basis it's good to stick to non-alc beers. Finland has quite a few good breweries - and small ones popping up like mushrooms after rain. We love a new, tiny brewery in a nearby village. Their salty and tangy lemon gose beer is in production only in the summer. The year-round Sulku Pils is better than e.g. Heineken, Sol, Corona or Beck's. The village brewery is in a beautiful setting next to a canal with several summertime cafés on the banks.
vä.jpg

Photo source

I've been surrounded by beer and beer talk since childhood as my stepfather made his career as the head brewing master of a large local brewery.

Yuengling is a Pennsylvania beer. Pottsville, PA. The oldest brewery still operating in the US. It was never swallowed up by the big beer companies, as so many others have.

CD
Thank you for the clarification. I think I assumed it was from Ohio because I've consumed so many in Ohio, so I assumed it was a local brew. It is right across the border, however.

Is it Pennsylvania's greatest export? Some would probably say that steel is a pretty impressive contribution to the world. Yes, but those people have never tried this beer.

I also never knew what I love so much about this beer. it has an honesty to it. It's got a purity like beers I had in Frankfurt. And, there's a good reason for that. Yuengling is an Anglicized version of Jüngling, its founder's surname and the German term for a "young person” or “youngster”. The connection to Germany makes even more sense.

I suppose steel might be slightly more important, but only slightly.

A little break in the run of beers from the north-east of England, as we acquired something from around 60 miles to the north from where we live. St Andrews Brewing is a relatively new brewery, started in 2012. And yes, it is indeed the St Andrews of golf fame.

We got a mini-keg of IPA, something of a misnomer, I feel, as it is a gentle 3.2%. It is extremely light, both in strength and colour, being a very pale yellow. An exploratory sniff suggested lemon and that is certainly what you get. There is a slight bitterness, but overall, the taste is a lemony zest. I wouldn't describe this in any way as an IPA, but it's a pleasant and refreshing drink. More suitable, perhaps, for the end of a warm summer's day rather than a chilly autumnal one, but a nice drink nonetheless.

A little break in the run of beers from the north-east of England, as we acquired something from around 60 miles to the north from where we live. St Andrews Brewing is a relatively new brewery, started in 2012. And yes, it is indeed the St Andrews of golf fame.

We got a mini-keg of IPA, something of a misnomer, I feel, as it is a gentle 3.2%. It is extremely light, both in strength and colour, being a very pale yellow. An exploratory sniff suggested lemon and that is certainly what you get. There is a slight bitterness, but overall, the taste is a lemony zest. I wouldn't describe this in any way as an IPA, but it's a pleasant and refreshing drink. More suitable, perhaps, for the end of a warm summer's day rather than a chilly autumnal one, but a nice drink nonetheless.

You need to start a beer review YouTube channel. People make a lot of money with YouTube channels.

I think you should pattern after this guy's reviews -- without the redneck, of course. You have the sense of humor to do funny reviews, and the knowledge to make them informative.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wDq200b2s

BTW, I have had all of those beers, and I can't argue with the guy. Corona is Gringo pond water. I like the rest of them.

CD

Last edited:
You need to start a beer review YouTube channel. People make a lot of money with YouTube channels.

I think you should pattern after this guy's reviews -- without the redneck, of course. You have the sense of humor to do funny reviews, and the knowledge to make them informative.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wDq200b2s

BTW, I have had all of those beers, and I can't argue with the guy. Corona is Gringo pond water. I like the rest of them.

CD
I'm tempted to say I don't have the face for TV/video, but neither does he.

Back to the north-east brews and Allendale Brewery's Wagtail. This is a 3.8% session beer. It has a pale amber colour and you get a hint of bitter orange in the taste, along with a little spiciness. It most definitely classifies as a bitter - there is a notable bitterness in the finish, which I like.

Allendale is another relatively new brewery, having started in 2006. It is situated in the south-west of Northumberland, to the west of Newcastle and south-west of the old market town of Hexham.

Allendale is another relatively new brewery, having started in 2006. It is situated in the south-west of Northumberland, to the west of Newcastle and south-west of the old market town of Hexham.

I stayed in a hotel in Hexham once. Called something connected with horses I believe. It sported designer bathrooms some of which were quite strange. It was 40 odd years ago.

We come to the last of the north-east beers, Alnwick Gold, a 4.2% golden ale from Alnwick Brewery. This is a very clean-tasting and refreshing beer with a gentle bitterness and a gentle orange tang. There are lots of golden ales around and one or two can be a bit samey and bland, but I wouldn't label this as such. A most pleasing drink.

Alnwick (pronounced Ann-ick) is a market town about 35 miles north of Newcastle. It is not to be confused with the nearby coastal town of Alnmouth (pronounced Alun-mouth). The brewery is very new, although it is in a way a resurrected brewer. There was an old Alnwick Brewery that closed in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom