Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rascal - To be fair, Beerfest is just a goofy comedy centered around a beer drinking contest. It's good fun.

A quick google search turned up a short (and possibly apocryphal) history of beer boots. I'll summarize:

First used by the English in the 1800's, fashioned after riding boots and used at hunting lodges.

Then they caught on in Germany, where they were part of initiation rites in the military (drinking beer from a boot). This evolved into giving beer glasses shaped like boots as mementos and as awards.

They made their way to the US via soldiers returning from service in Europe, and became really popular after the release of the movie Beerfest in 2006.

@rascal - To be fair, Beerfest is just a goofy comedy centered around a beer drinking contest. It's good fun.

A quick google search turned up a short (and possibly apocryphal) history of beer boots. I'll summarize:

First used by the English in the 1800's, fashioned after riding boots and used at hunting lodges.

Then they caught on in Germany, where they were part of initiation rites in the military (drinking beer from a boot). This evolved into giving beer glasses shaped like boots as mementos and as awards.

They made their way to the US via soldiers returning from service in Europe, and became really popular after the release of the movie Beerfest in 2006.

I've travelled quite a bit and never come across this!!

Russ

I've travelled quite a bit and never come across this!!

Russ
Well, thinking back, I've seen plenty of painted steins made in the shape of a boot, and it's not unusual for German Christmas markets to sell gluhwein in little boot-shaped mugs, but I must say the first time I recall seeing an actual glass boot, in a liter or bigger, was probably just after 2006.

We lived in Minnesota until 2004, and went to three or four German restaurants regularly, and I don't remember ever seeing one.

Then we moved to Cincinnati and Cincy is thick with Germans/German-Americans, and there are plenty of beer boots about, and not just in the German-themed places.

Well, thinking back, I've seen plenty of painted steins made in the shape of a boot, and it's not unusual for German Christmas markets to sell gluhwein in little boot-shaped mugs, but I must say the first time I recall seeing an actual glass boot, in a liter or bigger, was probably just after 2006.

We lived in Minnesota until 2004, and went to three or four German restaurants regularly, and I don't remember ever seeing one.

Then we moved to Cincinnati and Cincy is thick with Germans/German-Americans, and there are plenty of beer boots about, and not just in the German-themed places.

We used to go to Bavarian nights, it was run by a guy who was a dead spit for Schultz off hogans heroes.
Very funny nights.

Russ

I'm having a Braxton hefe (local beer from Covington, Kentucky) and the wife is having a perry from Woodchuck.
AD6EC0EE-A168-4372-9685-52B2D76280D6.jpeg

Just went down the Pub and drank a pint of Ruddles. Sat in the garden and... oh... its flying ant day! And they love my red hair and then one fell in my pint. :mad::ohmy:Oh well. Went inside and ordered another pint and sat in a quiet corner to sup it.

@morning glory - another British story for you:

In 1995, we moved back from the UK. The wife went early, and about two weeks before leaving, I had to drive my car from RAF Alconbury to just outside London to have it shipped home.

A British gentleman I worked with offered to follow me in his car and give me a lift back if I agreed to spring for lunch and beer at a pub on the way back, which I readily took him up on.

We got all the car stuff taken care of, and we were driving back, and I don't know where it was, but we went to a pub he liked, and we had lunch and sat outside.

Before long, I was swatting at bees, and all seemed to be heading for my beer.

I said, "God, this is why I hate sitting outside!"

He just shook his head, picked up an ashtray, dumped out the ashes and butts, then poured about a quarter-cup of (my!) beer into it and sat it at the edge of the table.

Within two minutes, every bee was enjoying a drink at the ashtray and left us completely alone for the rest of the meal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom