Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 60003

View attachment 60004

These are interesting. They are part of a variety pack that more or less gives you a classic mixed drink in a can. What you get is actually a seltzer with hints of the original drink. There is also an interpretation of the sidecar mixed drink in the pack.

The old-fashioned is one of my favorites when done properly, but this interpretation is just a boozy aftertaste of what the real drink should be. The gimlet and the sidecar are good, however. I really can’t recommend any of them other than the way I bought them: at a reduced price.

I tried a few different hard seltzers once. Like you said, they were all seltzer, with a hint of flavor. Cosidering what they cost at retail, the profit margins must be insane.

CD

The hard seltzers and flavored lemonades/teas really annoy me because I don't like them, but they're so popular now, they're claiming all the beer aisle space at my local Kroger.

There was a two or three year period where craft and import beer ruled the aisle, but now that's dwindled down to almost nothing, overtaken by big name national brewers (BMC) and those blasted alkie-pops. 😡

D1DCFFF5-CD60-4C1D-85E8-E0005E995D7E.jpeg

A potent Canadian take on a Trappist ale. La Fin du Mond means The End of the World; it feels like we’re there sometimes over the past year, but what a way to go.

The hard seltzers and flavored lemonades/teas really annoy me because I don't like them, but they're so popular now, they're claiming all the beer aisle space at my local Kroger.

There was a two or three year period where craft and import beer ruled the aisle, but now that's dwindled down to almost nothing, overtaken by big name national brewers (BMC) and those blasted alkie-pops. 😡

Since an alcoholic beverage is a very rare treat for me now, I haven't noticed. When I do have something, it is at a generally at a restaurant -- I don't keep any alcohol in the house.

CD

DF20E6DE-58AB-4D64-99C4-937C5E7B8BFF.jpeg

What could be more Michigan than this picture? Shorts brewery is in Michigan, the beer label has a picture of Michigan on it, the glass is showing the University of Michigan logo, and the Michigan versus Florida State basketball game is in the background.

This beer is celebrating today’s win in the NCAA college basketball tournament. Three more wins, and they will be champion.

Last edited:
View attachment 60061

A potent Canadian take on a Trappist ale. La Fin du Mond means The End of the World; it feels like we’re there sometimes over the past year, but what a way to go.
The 9% (ouch) beer reminded me of an Edinburgh beer festival I went to a few years ago. I spotted a chap I knew and went over to talk to him, but he had spent the afternoon drinking Orkney brewery's Skullsplitter (8.5%) and pints of it at that. I think he recognised me, but his eyeballs seemed to be going in about fifteen different directions at the same time, so I couldn't be entirely sure.

The 9% (ouch) beer reminded me of an Edinburgh beer festival I went to a few years ago. I spotted a chap I knew and went over to talk to him, but he had spent the afternoon drinking Orkney brewery's Skullsplitter (8.5%) and pints of it at that. I think he recognised me, but his eyeballs seemed to be going in about fifteen different directions at the same time, so I couldn't be entirely sure.

I've also had that one...it's name for a Viking leader, and it will indeed split your skull. These are brews for people who are short on time (since you consume the equivalent of 2 beers in time time it takes to drink 1) and short on brain cells.

Yesterday, I drank something I haven't had in years...a cup of instant coffee.

Honestly, it wasn't terrible.

I've also had that one...it's name for a Viking leader, and it will indeed split your skull. These are brews for people who are short on time (since you consume the equivalent of 2 beers in time time it takes to drink 1) and short on brain cells.
I am now reminded of another Edinburgh beer festival when I was working behind the bar. Just before closing time, an old fellow staggered in. He swayed a bit, looked up and down the huge bar that housed about 80 cask ales, then turned to me and said, "Er...got a pint of Tennent's, pal?"

(Note for those not in the know: Tennent's is a vile, watery, fizzy mass produced lager that no sane person would use to clean a toilet.)

The latest Woodforde's offering is a new beer of theirs, Norada Pale Ale (4.3%). It has some tropical fruit and citrus tones, but quite a powerful hop blast. You could mistake it for a relatively strong IPA, although it is an easy-drinking ale. In fact, it's much closer to an IPA than a lot of beers that are called such. Enjoyable.

Norada Pale Ale (4.3%). It has some tropical fruit and citrus tones, but quite a powerful hop blast
That was so interesting to read! The tropical fruit and citrus tones sparked my curiosity, and now I've read a bit about Ale beer...
A long time ago it was more of a nutrient than an alcohol beverage...and it was mainly home brewed by women, who would thus supplement their income...
And the fruity tones are not necessarily from actual fruit, but they develop during fermentation at certain temperatures, how extraordinary!!

Would definitely look for some locally or online available ones, and share a glass with my boyfriend....

There are some beers that use real fruit, remarkably enough called fruit beers (!) Many of these come from Belgium, where they brew a whole variety of beers including a lot of fruit beers.

Most "fruity" beers get their fruit notes from the hops. An obvious example is the citra variety of hop, which - yes - imparts a citrus taste. There is also a mandarina hop variety and you can probably guess how that one tastes. Most of the "fruity" hop varieties are "New World" hops, generally applied to those from North America and New Zealand. Many of the bewildering range of pale ales and IPAs are brewed using these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom