Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying out a new cider today
IMG_20210411_174103.jpg

Red wine tonight. However, the pubs reopen tomorrow, so after too many months I will soon be wrapping my lips around a proper pint of Everard's Old Original.

I assume you have had your jabs. Covid would make for a pretty nasty hangover.

CD

When I was younger and not the responsible man I am now, it was common to open a can of cola, drink half of it, top it off with bourbon, then go about your day, shopping, visiting friends, whatever. 🥴

That's kinda' what you have to do in Texas State Parks (I've done a lot of camping in them). Public display or consumption of alcoholic beverages is illegal in the parks, however, you can drink as long as it is not visible. For example, you can drink inside your camper/RV.

So, pouring a cocktail into a Coke can is one way to beat the system. The iconic red Solo cup also works, for the most parks. My experience with Texas Park Rangers is that they are cool, as long as you are cool. On our big camp gatherings, we always invited the Park staff to get a plate of food at our Saturday evening pot-luck supper. It is amazing what something as simple as a plate of good food can accomplish.

CD

That's kinda' what you have to do in Texas State Parks (I've done a lot of camping in them). Public display or consumption of alcoholic beverages is illegal in the parks, however, you can drink as long as it is not visible. For example, you can drink inside your camper/RV.

So, pouring a cocktail into a Coke can is one way to beat the system. The iconic red Solo cup also works, for the most parks. My experience with Texas Park Rangers is that they are cool, as long as you are cool. On our big camp gatherings, we always invited the Park staff to get a plate of food at our Saturday evening pot-luck supper. It is amazing what something as simple as a plate of good food can accomplish.

CD
Alcohol in parks all comes down to the local jurisdiction here. The park closest to us, booze is allowed, but most don't allow it, unfortunately. Rebel lawbreaker that I am, I bring it anyway, but I don't flaunt it. Usually boozy coffee in a thermos, and small bottles of bubbly that hold about a glass-and-a-half each, and they stay out of sight until the moment of consumption.

It's another reason why we like the UK - booze is very much allowed in the parks, at least the ones we went to. Brits are renowned for their picnics, and the idea of a nice meal like that with no wine in tow is rather sacrilegious.

Alcohol in parks all comes down to the local jurisdiction here. The park closest to us, booze is allowed, but most don't allow it, unfortunately. Rebel lawbreaker that I am, I bring it anyway, but I don't flaunt it. Usually boozy coffee in a thermos, and small bottles of bubbly that hold about a glass-and-a-half each, and they stay out of sight until the moment of consumption.

It's another reason why we like the UK - booze is very much allowed in the parks, at least the ones we went to. Brits are renowned for their picnics, and the idea of a nice meal like that with no wine in tow is rather sacrilegious.

Hey, move to New Orleans. You can drink on the streets, and there are drive-thru Daiquiri stores.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb8WILbrrjQ

CD

I assume you have had your jabs. Covid would make for a pretty nasty hangover.

CD

They are only open for outdoor socially distanced drinking in groups of 6 or two households maximum. People from different households must socially distance. Pubs are legally required to take customers' names and addresses or scan the NHS Covid App.

More detail here: What are rules for pubs to reopen for outside trading?

Ah, reminiscences of sneaky drinking. I think back to the 1980s and travelling regularly on Saturdays to watch Newcastle United games. We were always booked onto the 17:10 train from Newcastle to London and the police would always be hanging around the station, eager to confiscate any booze, so buying cans of beer became a no-no.

In those days, wine bottles were sealed with corks and because of body searches going into football grounds, you couldn't really carry a corkscrew around. However, there was always one wine that came in screw-top bottles. This was Lambrusco and it soon became our drink of choice, or more to the point, necessity.

Winter was the best time because the cold weather meant thick clothing and overcoats, much easier for smuggling a couple of bottles of wine in your pockets without getting any attention from the Old Bill. It worked, too - I can't recall a single occasion where we had anything confiscated.

Back in my college days when no one really had a lot of money to drink, we were big on catembo, a mix of red wine and Coca cola. The wine was dirty cheap and the Coca cola was also a generic brand one. It was disgusting :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom