Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have this lined up for this evening. West Berkshire brewery began life in 1995, a time when there was quite a surge in new breweries.

"Good old boy" is a term familiar to me from several years of living in Oxfordshire, but presumably straddles the county boundary with Berkshire. In my experience, it is generally spoken with a bit of a rural accent. The term applies to men of any age, not just old fellows. It was quite normal for someone to refer to someone in their twenties as a "good old boy."

We have this lined up for this evening. West Berkshire brewery began life in 1995, a time when there was quite a surge in new breweries.

"Good old boy" is a term familiar to me from several years of living in Oxfordshire, but presumably straddles the county boundary with Berkshire. In my experience, it is generally spoken with a bit of a rural accent. The term applies to men of any age, not just old fellows. It was quite normal for someone to refer to someone in their twenties as a "good old boy."

View attachment 41028

Snap - but mine was in a bottle:

I think mine came from Morrisons.
Supermarkets up here sell mostly Scottish beers and a few from more mainstream English breweries. It can be a bit hit and miss trying to find brewery websites that have a decent online shop. Some only deliver locally, some charge a fortune for delivery and some are a bit pricey anyway.

We've found Hook Norton and Woodforde's to be pretty good value. West Berkshire was excellent, too. Adnam's seem to have regressed somewhat and have stopped doing mini-kegs for now.

An amazingly good light beer. If you think this is an oxymoron, indulge me a moment while I explain. Or, better yet, indulge yourself with a can.

Bells makes Two Hearted Ale, one of the best IPAs on the planet (and I’m far from the only one who thinks that). This is a slimmed down version. The hops are identical to the original, and the rest of it is brewed so well that I might not have known the difference.

Weighing in at only 110 cal, it’s the perfect beer for the shelter in place cocktail hour after not moving very much during the day.

A taste of the blonde beer as above. Quite the lemon zest to it. The taste, if not appearance, was more wheat beer than anything. Most pleasing.

On my first visit to Australia last century, I visited a pub in Freemantle (Sail and Anchor I think) where I was served a speciality of the house, a dark lager. It arrived with a slice of lemon floating in it which I quickly removed explaining to the landlord that I did not request a cocktail.

Unfortunately they had temporarily run out of their other speciality, "Dogbolter".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom