Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! I remember the brand from Germany...
Was just about to ask about the jar, is it me at 4.20 am or is it really😄?

As long as you don't mind,👍

My ex husband collected and loved mustard glasses, they really were glasses...
Upcycling is good! I collect a few pickles jars and use them to transport stews...
I have a weakness for interesting glass jars. I've been known to buy things I don't really want, just to get the glass it's in. :)

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Welch's jelly jar glasses? We had about a dozen of them when I was a kid.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.38.59 PM.png

CD

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Welch's jelly jar glasses? We had about a dozen of them when I was a kid.

View attachment 60505

CD
We did not have those over here, but love the Tom&Jerry cartoons, my Dad loved them too, although he was fully an adult when I was a kid😂...still remember the sound of his laughter...

Were those meant to be collected? They look intentionally designed...

We did not have those over here, but love the Tom&Jerry cartoons, my Dad loved them too, although he was fully an adult when I was a kid😂...still remember the sound of his laughter...

Were those meant to be collected? They look intentionally designed...

Yes, they were meant to be collected -- and used as drinking glasses by kids.

CD

Something I get asked now and then is "How many breweries are there in the UK?" Oof. With the explosion of micro breweries in recent years, it's almost impossible to answer, but I believe we've got more than 2,000 these days. Scotland has well over 100 these days, a far cry from when I first lived in Scotland in 1992. We had, I think, about eight at the time and a couple of those were on their last legs.

My historian friend, the estimable Dr Susie, did her doctoral thesis on the history of brewing in the north-east of England. Her research uncovered a vast trove of long-lost breweries and provided the University of Newcastle with a large archive that still gets referenced a great deal. When she was working on that, breweries in that region were also few and far between, but these days it has a thriving number. This gives her a great deal of pleasure, especially when she gets to sample new beers!

. Her research uncovered a vast trove of long-lost breweries and provided the University of Newcastle with a large archive that still gets referenced a great deal
That is fantastic! True contribution. It is a significant part of history.
How fascinating and positive to see the number rising! More workplaces...more diversity of beer offered... Consumption has not suffered over Covid...has it?

An article I remember was portraying problems of -was it breweries in Germany, or wineries in France?- of too much unsold product...

Is there a downside to the rising number? Just curious...

That is fantastic! True contribution. It is a significant part of history.
How fascinating and positive to see the number rising! More workplaces...more diversity of beer offered... Consumption has not suffered over Covid...has it?

An article I remember was portraying problems of -was it breweries in Germany, or wineries in France?- of too much unsold product...

Is there a downside to the rising number? Just curious...
One significant factor was the change (in about 1990) to the "tied house" system, whereby pubs were "tied" to specific breweries and could only sell beer from that brewery. The change in the law was about the only time I found myself in agreement with anything a Thatcher government ever did.

That opened the way for pubs - particularly the more enterprising ones - to branch out a bit. Of course, pubs were suffering before the plague arrived, but it hasn't necessarily harmed breweries as a lot of people were drinking at home more anyway. Most breweries offer some kind of online service, whether through their own sites or third party sellers. They also offer more than the old-fashioned bottles and cans, with stuff like mini-kegs and mini-pins, which provide beer that is much closer to what you would get in a pub.

That opened the way for pubs - particularly the more enterprising ones - to branch out a bit. Of course, pubs were suffering before the plague arrived, but it hasn't necessarily harmed breweries as a lot of people were drinking at home more anyway.
Oh that is good to hear.
To un-tie does seem more reasonable. Well, for some breweries it might have been a loss, to some degree, but for the business itself it is way more free...

Good to see such liveliness in the beer industry in Uk.

View attachment 60505

CD
Mom kept all manner of jars, plastic tubs, any kind of container. She's nearly a hoarder that way, but not quite.

I don't remember those particular ones, though. MrsT has a ton of collectible glasses, everything from The Monkees to Star Wars, Disney, Buck Rogers (the '70's TV show), boxes of that stuff.

Mom kept all manner of jars, plastic tubs, any kind of container. She's nearly a hoarder that way, but not quite.

I don't remember those particular ones, though. MrsT has a ton of collectible glasses, everything from The Monkees to Star Wars, Disney, Buck Rogers (the '70's TV show), boxes of that stuff.
Couldn't help but think of this...

My first ever bourbon. :dance:
"Four Roses". Love the scent, reminds me of sour cherry. The taste is ouh whow, it burrrrns. Will prepare some ice cubes for tomorrow. The ice cube mould is in the shape of hearts, so it shall be "bourbon on the hearts"...
The sip is enough for this evening. Don't have a proper bourbon glass just yet.

Would love to have this view onto Rovinj right now, but a mental view is fine for now too.

Rovinj-Rovigno

Last edited:
Cider is a rare thing in the Mallard Tavern, but one of the minikegs we got from Woodforde's was such a beast. It is Norfolk Adder (4.5%) and they prefer to spell it "cyder." I generally prefer to have a glass of cider when the weather is somewhat warmer than it is now, but the stuff will probably have gone off if we're going to wait for that to happen.

It's not a bad drink at all. An encouraging sign is that it's not fizzy and neither is it sweet, two things I can't be doing with in any drink, It has a fresh and crisp taste and at 4.5%, it's not going to batter you into a stupor, something that certain cider makers appear to think adds to the enjoyment.

And yes, there are adders in Norfolk, one of only three snakes native to Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom