Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it to protect domestic alcohol producers/providers?
A little bit, but the majority is to collect taxes as our alcohol is heavily taxed here..The cost of alcohol beverages are about 50% tax..it varies from province to province but if a 24 case of beer costs 36 dollars, 18 of it goes to provincial and federal governments..

A debut for Double Hopped Pale Ale from Severn Brewing last night. Pale it most certainly is, a very light yellow. Hopped it also is; the first taste is rather like falling face first into a field of hops. Indeed, the first sip reminded me of an initial mouthful of the lamented Young's Bitter, in the great days of the Wandsworth brewery. There is still a beer of that name, brewed in Bedford, but sadly nothing like the original.

However, that does not concern us here. The Severn pale ale is 4.2%, just at the top end of strength for a session beer, but one could imagine treating it as such. The hoppy bitterness remains, but is not overpowering. A very good pale ale.

A debut for Double Hopped Pale Ale from Severn Brewing last night. Pale it most certainly is, a very light yellow. Hopped it also is; the first taste is rather like falling face first into a field of hops. Indeed, the first sip reminded me of an initial mouthful of the lamented Young's Bitter, in the great days of the Wandsworth brewery. There is still a beer of that name, brewed in Bedford, but sadly nothing like the original.

However, that does not concern us here. The Severn pale ale is 4.2%, just at the top end of strength for a session beer, but one could imagine treating it as such. The hoppy bitterness remains, but is not overpowering. A very good pale ale.
I'm not a beer drinker anymore. I used to love going to the beer festivals when I was younger but can't remember the last time I went to one and actually enjoyed an ale. I usually end up migrating to the ciders and sticking there all night buy tbh I'd rather have 1 decent whisky in the house than a night at a beer festival now.

The next Severn Brewing production on the assembly line is Copper Ale. This 3.8% beer is brewed with three English hop varieties and the result, not surprisingly, is a typical English bitter. This is intended as a compliment - with so many brewers around these days, there seems to be a tendency to seek out the wacky and zany, both in terms of beer style and name. The result is that sometimes brewers try to be a little too funky, so there's nothing wrong in a good solid bitter with a good solid name.

The beer itself? A light brown coloured ale with an initial bitterness followed by gentle sweetness of malt and fruity hop. The finish is also quite bitter, so it's a nicely rounded ale. Certainly a beer I would be happy to spend an evening with in a pub.

Bailey's

At the weekend, I had a glass of something I've not tasted in years. It was Theakston's Old Peculier (and yes, it is spelt like that), a darkish brown 5.6% beer that has been around since the 1890s. It is an old ale, a style you don't see very often these days. They can be quite variable in strength, appearance and taste, though they are usually quite strong and dark. You are more likely to come across them in winter.

Back in the 1980s, this was one of the few beers you could get in bottled form. It used to come in a chunky little bottle with a ring-pull top, something I've not seen for anything else. I was trying to find an image of one, but couldn't, so you'll have to take my word for it.

At the weekend, I had a glass of something I've not tasted in years. It was Theakston's Old Peculier (and yes, it is spelt like that), a darkish brown 5.6% beer that has been around since the 1890s. It is an old ale, a style you don't see very often these days. They can be quite variable in strength, appearance and taste, though they are usually quite strong and dark. You are more likely to come across them in winter.

Back in the 1980s, this was one of the few beers you could get in bottled form. It used to come in a chunky little bottle with a ring-pull top, something I've not seen for anything else. I was trying to find an image of one, but couldn't, so you'll have to take my word for it.
Believe it or not, that's always been a beer that's fairly easy to get here. I can't get it at the local Kroger, but any decent liquor store sells it.

Recently, I was asked "What are the worst beers you've ever had?" Now, I could mention plenty of horrible keg beers from the past and any number of mass-produced filthlagers, but the questioner was clearly referring to cask ale. Here, then, are my "top" three in the list of shame.

1) Hall's Harvest Bitter. Hall's was an old brewery whose name was resurrected by the giant Ind Coope (later Allied Breweries). They, like other big nationals, had a penchant for doing this kind of thing, presumably in an attempt to look more local and cuddly. It didn't work. In Oxford, we ended up with lots of pubs with Hall's branding and a beer under that name. It was vile. Even when it was fresh and served from clean pipes, it left an aftertaste that made you want to spit.

2) M & B Brew XI. Mitchell and Butler's was a large Birmingham brewery whose name lives on, though thankfully only in terms of owning pubs and hotels rather than brewing. Most of their beer was turgid muck, with an honourable exception given to M & B Highgate Mild, a pleasant mild ale brewed in nearby Walsall and not to be confused with M & B Mild, a truly awful beer. Even so, that mild looked good when set against Brew XI, a rank and foul bitter that should have been reserved for cleaning sewers.

3) McEwan's 80-/-. Brewed by the giant Scottish and Newcastle, McEwans 80 shilling was a cloying, sweet Scottish heavy that I found utterly disgusting. Admittedly the style of beer wasn't exactly up my street, but there were 80-/- ales that were palatable such as Caledonian. The McEwan's name lives on, but has no Scottish links other than the name itself. The brand got shifted onto Heineken, then Wells & Young and finally Marston's and any beers under the name are brewed in Bedford, a long way from Scotland.

The brand got shifted onto Heineken, then Wells & Young and finally Marston's and any beers under the name are brewed in Bedford, a long way from Scotland.
Now all that in your post is an expertly rating. Impressive.
I am just having water tonight.
A few days ago, the admin lady from the law office in which I worked called me, to say she returned my Amazon order.🙈😔

No contact from Amazon.
I assume they perceive that as a return.🙈🙈

I wished she had called me prior, not after.

I wished A software had accepted the change of ancient address.😔

I wish A had a contact email, and not a zillion instructions and links.

The Universe is making sure I have enough to do.👍😊

50 bucks a bottle. I've spent more on worse things lol

I hope you had some ZZ-Top playin' while you were sippin' that whiskey.

"When you're driving down the highway at night
And you're feelin' that Wild Turkey's bite
Don't give Johnnie Walker a ride
Cause Jack Black is right by your side
You might get taken to the jailhouse and find
You've been arrested for driving while blind."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCyh1dD7Dvw

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom