What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to do the same as well. Plus a mixed broccoli and cauli cheese..

Melted cheese over sprouts works really well as well.

I have done broccoli and cheese sauce, and broccoli, cauliflower and cheese sauce.

But, sprouts? Doesn't that wilt the sprouts to almost nothing? :scratchhead:

CD

I have done broccoli and cheese sauce, and broccoli, cauliflower and cheese sauce.

But, sprouts? Doesn't that wilt the sprouts to almost nothing? :scratchhead:

CD
No. Just cook the sprouts to that bright green stage, grate cheese over and put under a (UK) grill to melt and brown the grated cheese. Have the grill hot and ready to go.

You can do it with a cooked cheese sauce as well, just have that grill hot. It won't take more than a few minutes to melt the cheese and brown it.

No. Just cook the sprouts to that bright green stage, grate cheese over and put under a (UK) grill to melt and brown the grated cheese. Have the grill hot and ready to go.

You can do it with a cooked cheese sauce as well, just have that grill hot. It won't take more than a few minutes to melt the cheese and brown it.

I don't know that I will try it, but it does sound okay, now that you explained it. I'm thinking fresh grated cheese would work better than a cheese sauce. I think a sauce would be too heavy.

CD

I don't know that I will try it, but it does sound okay, now that you explained it. I'm thinking fresh grated cheese would work better than a cheese sauce. I think a sauce would be too heavy.

CD
Let's put it this way, even my baby brother and sister used to fight over it, as to who got the most. It is one of the dishes I do miss now that I can't have dairy cheese. Any decent mature cheddar (for those in the UK, Wexford works wonderfully with it) will work, as would Emmental, Comte, Jarlsberg and Gruyère.
For some reason, younger fresher cheeses such as Lancashire, Cheshire or Wensleydale don't work as well with sprouts.

CD

Sprouts are really quite robust - in fact more robust than broccoli. Cooked 'el dente' (I do it in the microwave) they will certainly survive being covered in a Mornay (cheese) sauce and baked in the oven for 15 minutes or put under a grill. Delicious!

Sprouts are really quite robust - in fact more robust than broccoli. Cooked 'el dente' (I do it in the microwave) they will certainly survive being covered in a Mornay (cheese) sauce and baked in the oven for 15 minutes or put under a grill. Delicious!

How will it do under a broiler? If I put it under my grill, it will be on the patio, and will never brown. :wink:

CD (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Today's harvest of raspberries and a handful of strawberries.

I picked 250g or so earlier in the week and there is a lot more fruit still to ripen, not to mention flowers and the next lot of growth coming through. Last year we had 2 distinct harvests from these canes. The new growth flowered in autumn add though it was a new season for them, then subsequently died back and grew new growth a second time which is what is producing my current crop. It looks like this may happen again this year.

Some more fruit.

I've left the broccoli growing a touch longer because I wasn't to see if hubby wants any with our evening meal. I've at least 2 small heads that can be cut today or tomorrow.

Chooks got the worst of the strawberries eaten by slugs. The chooks were in heaven, the slugs were in hell i guess, eaten alive and whole! Lol.

Apologies if you love slugs. Send need your address and I'll send you weekly refills on them.
Apologies if you love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom