What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawn mans here mowing. Wife picked these from our garden yesterday.

Russ

I've received the seeds, peat pellets, plastic bags, fertilizers etc. by mail now. The seedbeds (behind a couch) are ready too; I've installed two plant bulbs with cardboard shades and placed Oasis floral foam blocks/bricks underneath - just about one and a half months before time. :hyper: Yes, I'm nuts (but I spent four years in a gardening school as a youngster). Sometimes I'm really envious of people living in warm or moderate climate zones with plenty of sunshine.

Seedlings 2021 (sowing in March/April)

12 boxes, ten with 24 large peat pellets, one with 10 large and 16 small, one with 28 small. Peat pellets wrapped in tiny plastic bags with holes in the bottom.

cress 'Black Velvet' 6
cress 'Glorious Gleam' 6
cress 'Peach Melba' 6
cress 'Jewel Cherry Rose' 6

black hollyhock 7
Mauritian mallow 7
painted tongue 'Kew Blue' 6
cup-and-saucer vine (Cobaea sc.) 'Alba' 4

African marigold, deep orange 24

cress 'Whirlybird Rose' 6
tomato 'Cream Sausage' 3
pincushion flower 7
dark lilac geranium 8

petunia double, brick red 8
cress 'Baby Orange' 6
stock (Matthiola) 6
morning glory, bicolor 4

sweet pea, deep orange 6
dark blue violet 8
cress 'Bloody Mary' 6
sage 4

thyme 4
rosemary 4
basil 4
pot tomato 6
fennel 6

yellow poppy 10
purple zinnia 10
angelā€™s trumpet 4

ā€˜Sunstripeā€™ zucchini 3
'Latinoā€™ zucchini 3
white zucchini 3
lemon cucumber 3
cucumber ā€œMarketerā€ 3
anemone 5
orange melon, striped 4

abutilon 5
Tuscan kale 'Black Magic' 7
open-air cucumber 'Gunnar' 3
'Vert Petit de Paris' cucumber 3
'White Wonder' cucumber 3
ā€˜Kermitā€™ zucchini 3

(10 large + 16 small)
cucumber 'Marketmore' 3
cucumber 'Conny' 3
'Beit Alpha' cucumber 3
green broccoli 6
tiny pansy, yellow-striped 6
strawberry 5

(28 small)
swede 'Bora' 7
spring onion 'Red Ninja' 8
black salsify 7
celery 6

Testing:
seed_1.jpg

Future nursery (blue plastic salad servers as bulb holders).
seed_2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry. It's even worse than that for me. I've lost count how many plants and seedlings I've managed to kill. To make matters worse, both my late paternal grandmother and father can grow anything. My daughter is good at it too. It totally skipped a generation. LOL

And you still haven't seen the condition of my terrace!
I think I'm going to put up some stand-in plants.

The fact is that I forget about plants and in some area of my brain I imagine that they take care of themselves and water themselves. My magical thinking also makes me believe that they die not because of me but because they are bored.
I managed to kill two bonsai trees. Two, not one, but two. They must have been bored out of their minds.

Don't worry. It's even worse than that for me. I've lost count how many plants and seedlings I've managed to kill. To make matters worse, both my late paternal grandmother and father can grow anything. My daughter is good at it too. It totally skipped a generation. LOL

I'm no gardener either, my wife is though. I just propagate for her, she does the rest.

Russ

:hug:A (Japanese morning glory) cultivar called 'Blue Picotee'. The sizeable seeds (8 pcs in the entire sachet) have to be rubbed with sand paper and kept in water overnight before sowing. I love the thin white edges; hopefully I'll manage to grow at least two or three decent seedlings to plant next to my clematis cultivars. I'll send pics in April/May when these and other seeds have germinated. I haven't been very lucky with seedlings before but that's mainly because of too little light (main windows facing north and miserable artificial lighting) and careless watering and fertilization. That's why I placed absorbing, moisture emitting floral foam underneath this time and bought authentic plant light bulbs which emit red and blue wavelengths.

My hubby and I have sown hardy perennials in pure sand at the countryside in the past. The seeds have gained the compulsory stratification (cold treatment) during the winter, germinated smoothly and grown into fine plants with little if any care, so - as most garden owners and kitchen pot growers know - growing seedlings isn't rocket science; you just have to have decent "natural" conditions with occasional rain - which is a bit hard to replicate and execute in dark, heated apartments. SatNavSaysStraightOn has to deal with drought, thunder storms, snakes and floods down under. I have to deal with nonexistent sunlight, red-hot radiators and night frost outside (at the countryside and on the balcony) until mid-June. One can say goodbye to all seedlings if the frost bites even once, so early summer is all about covering and setting protective gauzes every other <bleeping> night. Well, plus Ƨa change, plus c'est la mĆŖme chose (the more it changes, the more it's the same thing): horticultural challenges; just different shock effects for the plants in different regions. There are a few advantages in cold climates: less pests, venomous bugs, harmful animals and plant diseases - and in the midsummer the sun shines so abundantly (nightless nights) that strawberries, potatoes and other veggies taste super sweet.

I have a good semi-cold, bright space to store seedlings and plants at the countryside but I don't want to drive dozens of kilometres in the spring just to water some plants. Four seasons is an aesthetic delight but not adorable in an agri-/horticultural sense. Still, if I get even a few home grown potatoes, carrots and cucumbers in the autumn, I'm happy. I know I could buy several boxes of local vegetables and pre-grown plants with the price of the (ridiculously overprized) seed sachets. I could start collecting or changing seeds in late season too - but the collecting, preparation, rinsing and drying of seeds takes a lot of time, so I haven't bothered so far.
blue_p.jpg

Last edited:
I used to breed horses, one mare was called picotee, I wondered where that came from, now I know, another mare in the same family was miss dianthus. It all fits now. What a small world.

Russ

:hug:A (Japanese morning glory) cultivar called 'Blue Picotee'. The sizeable seeds (8 pcs in the entire sachet) have to be rubbed with sand paper and kept in water overnight before sowing. I love the thin white edges; hopefully I'll manage to grow at least two or three decent seedlings to plant next to my clematis cultivars. I'll send pics in April/May when these and other seeds have germinated. I haven't been very lucky with seedlings before but that's mainly because of too little light (main windows facing north and miserable artificial lighting) and careless watering and fertilization. That's why I placed absorbing, moisture emitting floral foam underneath this time and bought authentic plant light bulbs which emit red and blue wavelengths.

My hubby and I have sown hardy perennials in pure sand at the countryside in the past. The seeds have gained the compulsory stratification (cold treatment) during the winter, germinated smoothly and grown into fine plants with little if any care, so - as most garden owners and kitchen pot growers know - growing seedlings isn't rocket science; you just have to have decent "natural" conditions with occasional rain - which is a bit hard to replicate and execute in dark, heated apartments. SatNavSaysStraightOn has to deal with drought, thunder storms, snakes and floods down under. I have to deal with nonexistent sunlight, red-hot radiators and night frost outside (at the countryside and on the balcony) until mid-June. One can say goodbye to all seedlings if the frost bites even once, so early summer is all about covering and setting protective gauzes every other <bleeping> night. Well, plus Ƨa change, plus c'est la mĆŖme chose (the more it changes, the more it's the same thing): horticultural challenges; just different shock effects for the plants in different regions. There are a few advantages in cold climates: less pests, venomous bugs, harmful animals and plant diseases - and in the midsummer the sun shines so abundantly (nightless nights) that strawberries, potatoes and other veggies taste super sweet.

I have a good semi-cold, bright space to store seedlings and plants at the countryside but I don't want to drive dozens of kilometres in the spring just to water some plants. Four seasons is an aesthetic delight but not adorable in an agri-/horticultural sense. Still, if I get even a few home grown potatoes, carrots and cucumbers in the autumn, I'm happy. I know I could buy several boxes of local vegetables and pre-grown plants with the price of the (ridiculously overprized) seed sachets. I could start collecting or changing seeds in late season too - but the collecting, preparation, rinsing and drying of seeds takes a lot of time, so I haven't bothered so far.
View attachment 57491
You are so talented. Impressive.

SatNavSaysStraightOn has to deal with drought, thunder storms, snakes and floods down under
You missed nightly frosts (3 to 4 months a year) and seasonal snow (usually only once or twice a year though), winters temps starting in January and lasting to December (not kidding on this one, frosts kill a lot of my seeds and things like cucumber, tomatoes and such) storms, dust storms blocking out light, bush fires, as well as UV 15 on a daily basis (it's simply too much for most seeds to cope with to the point that the veg plot now has its own shading).
And there's a peculiar law regarding some seeds not being allowed across state or territory borders, potato exclusion zones (I'm actually in one but...) think tomatoes have another, and laws on what can be grown where.
My temperature zones is actually cold climate believe it or not. -10Ā°C is common in winter, it's just dry and warms up very quickly during the day, then plummets again at dusk.
We're on a cold climate grape area though I'm amazed that lemons and oranges plus limes can with care and sheltered spots be grown, but then they can be in the UK as well.
Olives surprised me but they seem quite hardy.

At least the rabbit issue isn't as bad as it was in the UK. And I don't have to deal with reindeer... always a bonus. (Just possums and kangaroo)

I'm actually looking at getting a greenhouse to extend my sewing season and protect the seedlings from frost ... But that may have to wait another season or two. I'm still getting me head around the sewing sessions here. We have 2 and most things actually get sewn at the same time as the northern hemisphere to be grown through autumn, then on good through winter just ticking over and hoping frosts don't kill them before spring takes. Late spring and summer is the 2nd growing season but that's only for warm weather stuff (tomatoes, aubergine, courgette etc)

You missed nightly frosts (3 to 4 months a year) and seasonal snow (usually only once or twice a year though), winters temps starting in January and lasting to December (not kidding on this one, frosts kill a lot of my seeds and things like cucumber, tomatoes and such) storms, dust storms blocking out light, bush fires, as well as UV 15 on a daily basis (it's simply too much for most seeds to cope with to the point that the veg plot now has its own shading).
And there's a peculiar law regarding some seeds not being allowed across state or territory borders, potato exclusion zones (I'm actually in one but...) think tomatoes have another, and laws on what can be grown where.
My temperature zones is actually cold climate believe it or not. -10Ā°C is common in winter, it's just dry and warms up very quickly during the day, then plummets again at dusk.
We're on a cold climate grape area though I'm amazed that lemons and oranges plus limes can with care and sheltered spots be grown, but then they can be in the UK as well.
Olives surprised me but they seem quite hardy.

At least the rabbit issue isn't as bad as it was in the UK. And I don't have to deal with reindeer... always a bonus. (Just possums and kangaroo)
Ok, it seems that gardening is even more challenging in Australia due to extreme and/ore volatile weather conditions. I wish you endurance - and helping hands - until you recover from your current injuries. A spacious greenhouse is my dream too - but greenhouse cleaning, ventilation and winter maintenance..., phew, that's heavy forced labo(u)r too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom