What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas soil, on the East side of the State, is heavy, black clay. It is nicknamed "black gumbo." My sister's garden is a raised garden, and it is full of good soil, with a lot of organic content.

CD

My wife buys sheep pellets of manure dug into the soil. Soil is from a garden centre plus she tops up,with bought compost as well. Our soil is really fertile. Bet we don't have squirrels or anything bidg to eat her plants. Raised beds mainly as well. Two railway sleepers high.

Russ

They really look real healthy plants, I thought most of you guys get stuff eaten by critters ? And then the fruit is quite tasteless? That's the impression I get anyway!

Russ

Homegrown tomatoes are loaded with flavor. They fully ripen on the vine. It is the industrial farmed toms at the grocery store that suck. Those are picked while still green, and artificially ripened while shipping with ethylene gas.

If you notice in the photo, there is heavy-duty critter netting on the bottom half of the garden frame. The top half has light bird netting, that was rolled back for the photo.

CD

Oregano is real healthy, do you dry it ans save it or just pick as you need?

Russ

Now and then I will pick and dry some, but mostly I just snip some off right before I use it.

EDIT: Oooops, you were asking Tasty. :whistling:

CD

Oregano is real healthy, do you dry it ans save it or just pick as you need?

Russ
I dried a bunch last year and still have plenty of that. I have yet to use any of the fresh this year.

That's sort of my problem. I can see the herb garden from the kitchen, and a little voice in my head says, "You should be using that, that's what it's there for," but there's far too much for me to use.

I topped the potatoes tonight with chives. That used up three whole chive...stalks? They grow faster than I can use them. Same with the sage and the parsley. Well, all of it, really.

I dried a bunch last year and still have plenty of that. I have yet to use any of the fresh this year.

That's sort of my problem. I can see the herb garden from the kitchen, and a little voice in my head says, "You should be using that, that's what it's there for," but there's far too much for me to use.

I topped the potatoes tonight with chives. That used up three whole chive...stalks? They grow faster than I can use them. Same with the sage and the parsley. Well, all of it, really.

When my garden gets too full of peppers and herbs for me to use, I tell my neighbors to come get some any time they want. But, they rarely do. People in the North Dallas burbs don't like to take neighbors up on offers like that. It's almost as if they think they will "owe" you something in return.

CD

I know what you mean, fresh herbs, just there, need to use. I got wife to trim them all back recently so it doesn't bother me now. We never have to buy sage rosemary or thyme ever again. We have loads.

Russ

I tell my neighbors to come get some any time they want. But, they rarely do.
Same here. I've told my neighbor many times to just come over and help herself. I know she cooks, and anybody can see I've got enough for about five people, but she never comes over. 🤷🏻‍♂️

With all the rain we are having, my garden looks great! My cayenne plant has some tiny fruit on it. The basil is full and green, although still small. The new thyme plant is looking good. The new rosemary hasn't grown much, but looks healthy. The oregano is a monster!

I'll try to post some snapshots later.

CD

Pictures...

Peppers and basil

IMG_1453.JPG

Oregano

IMG_1454.JPG

Rosemary and thyme

IMG_1455.JPG

CD

I think most people wouldn't expect to use up all the herbs growing in their garden. I certainly don't. They are simply plants in my garden which I happen to be able to pick and eat sometimes. They are not going to die if I don't use them for a while. I had a rosemary bush, for example, which was about 5 foot high by 4 foot wide. With the best will in the world, nobody could eat that much rosemary! Its different with fruit like tomatoes, cherries, berries etc. I do feel a need to use those when they are ripe as they will simply wither on the plant (or get eaten by birds).

Can anybody itentify these? Last year I had cucumbers and zucchini in this patchI also tried melons that didn't grow..I tilled a few weeks ago and these just came up on their own..I know they aren't cukes or zucchini because the secondary leaves aren't jagged enough but they did look like something similar because the first two leaves were two nice oval leaves..I have a patch of about 10 of them. GF says they are weeds and I wonder if I should leave them or use the space to make a hill or two and plant some zucchini?

Can anybody itentify these? Last year I had cucumbers and zucchini in this patchI also tried melons that didn't grow..I tilled a few weeks ago and these just came up on their own..I know they aren't cukes or zucchini because the secondary leaves aren't jagged enough but they did look like something similar because the first two leaves were two nice oval leaves..I have a patch of about 10 of them. GF says they are weeds and I wonder if I should leave them or use the space to make a hill or two and plant some zucchini?View attachment 63713

View attachment 63714

Almost looks like a sunflower seedling - I note they have hairy stems. Not sure if sunflowers do...

That could very well be..I have a bird feeder hanging off a branch of a cherry tree at the edge of that garden..my feed mix has sunflower seeds in it

Ah! I had a similar thing with peanuts. A mysterious plant which I eventually realised was a peanut. If it turns out as a sunflower then its worth keeping some of them as they look so cheery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom