What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah! I had a similar thing with peanuts. A mysterious plant which I eventually realised was a peanut. If it turns out as a sunflower then its worth keeping some of them as they look so cheery.
Yes...I am goig to keep the biggest ones..I need the space for more zucchini hills

Pretty much done today..we have a shorter growing season than a lot of members so we have to wait until late May to be sure that there won't be more frost..some times there is...
Bottom right is beans, assorted onions, shallots, the patch in the upper right is strawberries, beside that is cucumbers and zucchini, the tomatoes take up most of the garden..I have Roma, San Marzan, Beefsteak, then there are assorted peppers upper left, with a few eggplant, garlic in far upper left, out of the picture is red cabbage, mesclin, spinach...I was standing on a chair with a couple of beer in me so this is the best photo I could take...oops! Bottom left you can see a row of beets starting. They just came up yesterday..

Last edited:
Frost last night..lost some basil...everything else looks ok..will assess when the sun comes over the big spruce and warms up the garden..it's always a guessing game..last week the over night temps were 14 C...even a month ago they were around 9-10...you'd think by now they would have stabilized..always a guessing game in this part of the country..

Frost last night..lost some basil...everything else looks ok..will assess when the sun comes over the big spruce and warms up the garden..it's always a guessing game..last week the over night temps were 14 C...even a month ago they were around 9-10...you'd think by now they would have stabilized..always a guessing game in this part of the country..
It took me three plantings of basil to get it going. I'm either too dumb to watch the weather or the weather is crazy.

Was thinking about setting up a small wildlife pond in the back garden, won't be for a while yet as we still have a lot of other stuff to do but it is an idea.

Where I live, you need to have a pond circulator (and optional Koi), or you have a mosquito breeding heaven. A circulator, or better yet, and fountain keeps ripples on the pond that mosquito larvae can't survive. Koi eat the larvae.

Mosquitos are not just an annoyance here, they often carry the West Nile Virus, which can put you in the hospital.

CD

Where I live, you need to have a pond circulator (and optional Koi), or you have a mosquito breeding heaven. A circulator, or better yet, and fountain keeps ripples on the pond that mosquito larvae can't survive. Koi eat the larvae.

Mosquitos are not just an annoyance here, they often carry the West Nile Virus, which can put you in the hospital.

CD

I don't want any fish because of the herons around, just want something small and manageable to attract frogs.

Pretty much done today..we have a shorter growing season than a lot of members so we have to wait until late May to be sure that there won't be more frost..some times there is...
Bottom right is beans, assorted onions, shallots, the patch in the upper right is strawberries, beside that is cucumbers and zucchini, the tomatoes take up most of the garden..I have Roma, San Marzan, Beefsteak, then there are assorted peppers upper left, with a few eggplant, garlic in far upper left, out of the picture is red cabbage, mesclin, spinach...I was standing on a chair with a couple of beer in me so this is the best photo I could take...oops! Bottom left you can see a row of beets starting. They just came up yesterday..
View attachment 63881

You would love my wife's garden.

Russ

Torrential rain last three days, bridges swept away, state of emergencies everywhere. Roads closed everywhere, but I ok here, nothing doing in the garden though, absolutely nothing. I'm not going outside. Hear pump cranked up.
Talking of ponds I want one, I used to be fascinated watching an Auntys pond when visiting. Gold fish, black mooars etc. cant see the komandant letting me, she wants to dig up the front lawn for dahlias?? Space is a premium around here.

It's officially winter tomorrow, I will hunker down until September.

Russ

Torrential rain last three days, bridges swept away, state of emergencies everywhere. Roads closed everywhere, but I ok here, nothing doing in the garden though, absolutely nothing. I'm not going outside. Hear pump cranked up.
Talking of ponds I want one, I used to be fascinated watching an Auntys pond when visiting. Gold fish, black mooars etc. cant see the komandant letting me, she wants to dig up the front lawn for dahlias?? Space is a premium around here.

It's officially winter tomorrow, I will hunker down until September.

Russ
Glad you're doing ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom