What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have marigolds as well, wife read they are a companion plant for tomatoes.

Russ

I planted marigolds among my tomatoes in the past, when I had a large yard with a big garden. The supposedly confuse critters that like to eat your tomatoes. I still had bird netting over my garden, so I don't know if they work.

CD

I planted marigolds among my tomatoes in the past, when I had a large yard with a big garden. The supposedly confuse critters that like to eat your tomatoes. I still had bird netting over my garden, so I don't know if they work.

CD
That’s was my wife’s thinking as well, we have dozens of them.

Russ

Do you worry about snakes over there? I’d be very wary!

Russ
Not usually because the chooks are a really good indication of anything amiss . The lemon tree needed the cut back. The lemon bush was very overgrown and the lemons covered in soil from the chooks dust bathing under the tree. It needed pruning and maintenance. It had been left to grow wild previously (by previous tenants).

Last summer, on Christmas Eve, hubby told me he could NOT get the parsley from the veg plot because it was being guarded by a brown snake. He and his 3 brothers have a history of trying their hardest to get out of helping mum and dad in the veg plot, so coming up with the best excuse was always a competition with the 4 of them. That beat every excuse they had ever come up with hands down. I never saw the snake but all we need to do was turn on the water and water the veg plot. They will move on very quickly. To be honest, we only usually see a couple a year so it's no big deal. If I'm gardening early before the chooks are up (in summery it's not as warm that way) then there is less chance of a snake anyway. Mostly we see them dead on the road. They like the space where it warms up the sand or soil (or tarmac if it is a sealed road) sunbathing is their favorite sport. There are plenty of ways of disturbing them without endangering yourself. Just be noisy entering the veg plot. Wear long boots, not short shoes, stamp on the ground so they sense the vibrations and move any overhanging leaves with the handle end of a brush first, our better still a hoe.

We have cos lettuces ready, along with spring onions and radishes.
Raspberries budding up so it looks like twice the harvest this year. Just as well as jam/jelly and coulis stocks are almost pitiful.

Russ

I have a good number of jalapeños in the garden, They are small, but pack a lot of heat, as my late harvest japs always do.

CD

I have a good number of jalapeños in the garden, They are small, but pack a lot of heat, as my late harvest japs always do.

CD

We are way behind the 8 ball here chilly wise. Having trouble propagating them. My ones are only like an inch high. Wife bought some to balance my stock. Bought late, about 12 inches high.
We have 1000s frozen so I'm not concerned.

Russ

Last month we had rain almost every day, followed by blazing tropical sun.
The garden has gone ballistic. I give up until the gardener comes next week!

Yesterday we spent time in the front garden, lawn mowing, weeding, raking over, it is looking better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom