What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Mango of the season!
20220524_091444.jpg

I just ran into town, bought 12 plants, and potted up the first planter:

My neighbor, who’s well ahead of me, warned me that prices had shot up, and she wasn’t kidding. These are run-of-the-mill petunias and marigolds, and I got these at Lowes, not some fancy-pants garden center, and these cost me (with my 10% veterans discount)…
$77!

I’ve got seven more planters to go, plus three hanging baskets and seven smaller pots.

I wonder what interest rates on flower loans are… 😳

View attachment 85695

My neighbor, who’s well ahead of me, warned me that prices had shot up, and she wasn’t kidding. These are run-of-the-mill petunias and marigolds, and I got these at Lowes, not some fancy-pants garden center, and these cost me (with my 10% veterans discount)…
$77!

I’ve got seven more planters to go, plus three hanging baskets and seven smaller pots.

Lovely colours.

View attachment 85695

$77!

Surely they can't cost that much? I mean surely not! Maybe I'm misreading this but does that means £60 for planting up one hanging basket? I can buy one ready planted here for £15.

Surely they can't cost that much? I mean surely not! Maybe I'm misreading this but does that means £60 for planting up one hanging basket? I can buy one ready planted here for £15.
Not a hanging basket, but 12 plants (two wave petunias, eight regular petunias, and two giant marigolds) to go in the big planter on the porch.

Aphids! that's what's going on with my potatoes right now.

Grumbles....

Any organic way to deal with them?
Soapy water
There is also something called white oil, but frankly I prefer to use soapy water or a naturally derived (from a flower) pesticide in very small quantities, though I've never really had them bother with potatoes before. I generally just let ladybirds/ladybugs deal with them.

Planted out some seedlings yesterday... leeks, celery, spinach and pak choy. Also planted out the last of the late season garlic. I always sprout garlic before it gets planted out, but this one bulb has put up a lot of resistance to growing at all... it finally had about 3cm green growth and roots, so it's gone out. The rest was all 7-10cm high when I planted then out. I guess I'll be harvesting it a lot later than the rest of the garlic.

Still need to plant out things like some tomatoes to get the seed germinated, peas growing, beans growing, and a while load of other bits going.... but I made a start.

Also got 3 raspberry canes I need to plant when I find a home for them. I'm thinking I may need to create a fruit plot given the volume of strawberry runners that the plants created this year. I've so many of them... between the raspberries and strawberries about a third of the veg plot is taken!

Planted out some seedlings yesterday... leeks, celery, spinach and pak choy. Also planted out the last of the late season garlic. I always sprout garlic before it gets planted out, but this one bulb has put up a lot of resistance to growing at all... it finally had about 3cm green growth and roots, so it's gone out. The rest was all 7-10cm high when I planted then out. I guess I'll be harvesting it a lot later than the rest of the garlic.

Still need to plant out things like some tomatoes to get the seed germinated, peas growing, beans growing, and a while load of other bits going.... but I made a start.

Also got 3 raspberry canes I need to plant when I find a home for them. I'm thinking I may need to create a fruit plot given the volume of strawberry runners that the plants created this year. I've so many of them... between the raspberries and strawberries about a third of the veg plot is taken!
Were getting rid of a few canes that haven't produced raspberries for 2 years. Strawberry plants for Africa here.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom