What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had to pay for replacements? The garden centers around here will give you free replacements, no questions asked.

CD
They’ll do that here if they’re no more than a year old, and they insist on a receipt and you have to bring in the dead plant.

The dianthus was just over a year, and the coral bell was replaced for free three years ago, but died again, probably helped along by me forgetting it was there and hitting it with the weed-whacker. :laugh:

Just getting going. Will plant more this week.

337C8D43-DC7C-4884-A128-D38CF88EBBDC.jpeg

Get some hay. Usually a bale, but for a pond, fill (as in jam packed) a half pillow case or so and drown (brick or 2) the hay in the pond.... or just get a fine fishing net and skim the algae off the surface but ensure that you dump everything on the side of the pond overnight for longer so that anything accidentally caught can crawl back in...

My previous property had 3 ponds that were badly neglected when we first moved in. We started with 3 very sick goldfish and within 2 years had a population of 22... (We rehomed them before we left to someone we knew would look after them).

We use a fishing net and we have some liquid that is supposed to work the same as hay but clearly doesn't. We need a visit to the garden centre so will look at picking up some lily pond plants, maybe there is too much water exposed to the sun.

As Mango season ramps up, so do the pests! Birds, squirrels, and even rats. Hoping to deter them with these mesh bags. Or at least make it easier on myself to spot them when they drop off the tree...
View attachment 86412

View attachment 86413
I'm curious why you've not tied the bags to the branch using the red cord? The rats and pests around here would suss that they can get access to the fruit through the hole at the top once the fruit is on the ground. Tying it on would pull the draw string cord tight when it falls and might reduce that issue. Rosellas, Aussie magpies and cockatoos are exceptionally intelligent though. My lot actually deliberately pick the fruit off the tree if they can get anywhere near the tree. Netting has to be well away from the sides of the tree or any branches. Just netting off individual branches has the birds landing on the netting ones still picking the fruit for me, long before it is even vaguely ripe.

I'm curious why you've not tied the bags to the branch using the red cord? The rats and pests around here would suss that they can get access to the fruit through the hole at the top once the fruit is on the ground. Tying it on would pull the draw string cord tight when it falls and might reduce that issue. Rosellas, Aussie magpies and cockatoos are exceptionally intelligent though. My lot actually deliberately pick the fruit off the tree if they can get anywhere near the tree. Netting has to be well away from the sides of the tree or any branches. Just netting off individual branches has the birds landing on the netting ones still picking the fruit for me, long before it is even vaguely ripe.
good points, and I may yet do that.
This is the very basic of deterrents for the critters and I think the most use I will get out of this will be to highlight the fruit as they drop to the ground so I can retrieve it before the critters come for a free meal. The tree is right outside my bedroom window, so I stand a chance of actually getting to some fruit before they do.

good points, and I may yet do that.

We're planning to relocate our habanero plants into an old cat's cage when the fruits appear. Mainly to prevent the birds gaining access.

They are currently at 5 weeks and have today been replanted.

Not sure about the little runt.

Last edited:
We're planning to relocate our habanero plants into and old cat's cage when the fruits appear. Mainly to prevent the birds gaining access.

They are currently at 5 weeks and have today been replanted.

Not sure about the little runt.
I grow my peppers in a pot inside the house because of the pests (whiteflies & aphids). Every time my mom sees the plant she is amazed it is still alive. If all you have to worry about it birds, then your idea of the outdoor cage is a winner.

First month of winter and still picking chillies. Lemons ripened daily. Good with my gin. Rest of garden is waiting for spring. Cabbages and broccoli are ready atm.
Not really cold yet for winter.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom