What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My potatoes are growing slowly...I've fertilized them, but they are still slow to grow big, I think the heavy soil is no good....and the ones that are up are being feasted upon by something, probably slugs.

My potatoes are growing slowly...I've fertilized them, but they are still slow to grow big, I think the heavy soil is no good....and the ones that are up are being feasted upon by something, probably slugs.
Potatoes grow underground right? so how do you know when to harvest them? Obviously I've never attempted to grow them, even though I've kept some until the point that they sprouted :shy:

Potatoes grow underground right? so how do you know when to harvest them? Obviously I've never attempted to grow them, even though I've kept some until the point that they sprouted :shy:
I always knew it was time to dig up the potatoes when my dad smacked me in the head and said, “Get on out there and dig them taters up, Egghead!” :laugh:

I think he probably just kept a mental clock going, and we dug them up four or five months after planting, or after first seeing the tops come through, but I can say the dirt around them would start to hump up a little when they were ready.

It depends entirely on if you planted an early, main crop, late main or salad potato variety. Each has a set number of weeks that has been found to be the ideal time but it isn't 100%.

I generally let mine flower and set to seed (and yes they do produce potatoes from the flowers, just not edible ones) and usually they are starting to die back. I'll often leave them in the ground to store unless it is very wet. They store better in the ground if the autumn is a dry autumn but if it is a wet one, get them out else they will rot.

It depends entirely on if you planted an early, main crop, late main or salad potato variety. Each has a set number of weeks that has been found to be the ideal time but it isn't 100%.

To clarify...
  • First earlies 100-110 days of planting not necessarily first growth (14-15 weeks), so you'll see this figure as 10-12 weeks from first growth being visible...
  • Second earlies 110-120 days (15-17 weeks from planting)
  • Early maincrop potatoes 120-125 days (17-18 weeks from planting)
  • Maincrop potatoes 125 and 140 days (18-20 weeks from planting)
  • Late main +140 days, 20 weeks onwards.
This assumes ideal growing conditions, not frosts and weather not getting too hot. Less ideal conditions take longer.

After the potatoes flower, the plant usually yellows and lays down. That's a good time to dig'em up and munch them.

Loads of these growing around here, when we get home will do some research as I would like some of these in our garden. Think they might be a type of hosta.

Loads of these growing around here, when we get home will do some research as I would like some of these in our garden. Think they might be a type of hosta.

View attachment 87012
Yeah, not a hosta. Hostas are delicate leaves directly from the ground, easily eaten by slugs and snails varying in size from 1-2 feet high depending on how well the plant is growing. They don't like direct sunshine, needing shade. Exact opposite of that picture really.

Apparently a Proteus.
Don't know that one. I'll have to look it up.

I bandicoot mine. I only grow new potatoes for xmas day. Cliff kidney type. I plant around show weekend here, around 3 months before xmas.
Ready for xmas lunch. With heaps of butter.

Russ

Yeah, not a hosta. Hostas are delicate leaves directly from the ground, easily eaten by slugs and snails varying in size from 1-2 feet high depending on how well the plant is growing. They don't like direct sunshine, needing shade. Exact opposite of that picture really.

Don't know that one. I'll have to look it up.

I posted this pic on Facebook and had quite a few replies, apparently it from South Africa.
We have had a big problem this year with slugs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom