What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I weeded the veggie garden this weekend, got a couple of cucumbers so far. My fave tomato variety is laden with fruit, but none ripe yet. Just gotta be patient, I guess.

We had one patch of “garden” by the path to the backyard that we neglected for a few years, so it was basically just a giant weed patch. This year I wanted to clean it up, so I yanked all the weeds, but one very persistent box-elder stump just kept sprouting, year after year (I’ve been cutting it back since we moved in, it just regrows).

So I decided to do the “whack it with an axe” method. So I got my axe out, whacked it a bunch of times, managed to cut it down quite a bit and break it up a little, and proudly showed husband my progress. He grabbed the axe, and had the rest of it out in about 5 min (I’d been at it for half an hour at that point!)

In any case, I laid down a few layers of newpaper and some mulch, which will hopefully smother any remaining weeds. I’m hoping to be able to plant some nice groundcover in a couple years.

I also managed to twist my ankle and fall on my face while I was putting my tools away, so currently sitting here with an ice pack on my ankle.

3592AE4E-84D2-4903-84D0-0B75970404D7.jpeg

I weeded the veggie garden this weekend, got a couple of cucumbers so far. My fave tomato variety is laden with fruit, but none ripe yet. Just gotta be patient, I guess.

We had one patch of “garden” by the path to the backyard that we neglected for a few years, so it was basically just a giant weed patch. This year I wanted to clean it up, so I yanked all the weeds, but one very persistent box-elder stump just kept sprouting, year after year (I’ve been cutting it back since we moved in, it just regrows).

So I decided to do the “whack it with an axe” method. So I got my axe out, whacked it a bunch of times, managed to cut it down quite a bit and break it up a little, and proudly showed husband my progress. He grabbed the axe, and had the rest of it out in about 5 min (I’d been at it for half an hour at that point!)

In any case, I laid down a few layers of newpaper and some mulch, which will hopefully smother any remaining weeds. I’m hoping to be able to plant some nice groundcover in a couple years.

I also managed to twist my ankle and fall on my face while I was putting my tools away, so currently sitting here with an ice pack on my ankle.

View attachment 88517
That looks great, but I hope your ankle doesn’t give you too much trouble!

View attachment 88517

Ouchy, hope you ankle feels better soon :hug:

We've started with more rain today. It's due to rain heavily today and tomorrow. Anything between 30-60mm of rain forecast. But last time it was forecast to rain 1-5mm and we got 20mm so we're all holding our breath! We don't need anymore anywhere along the east coast of Australia right now... The garden and fields around me are still flooded from the previous rain. More simply doesn't have anywhere to go to. Gravity doesn't seem to consider water to be worth the effort right now. I'm at 860m, and my garden is flooded.

I'll not plant the veg plot up. The seedlings can stay on the veranda where they won't drown.

Growing quite slowly then...

The packet says harvest in 12 to 14 weeks so they will have to hurry.

It also says 22°C to 28°C is the ideal temperature for growing. The temperature only drops that low overnight here. Although it's been overcast through recent days hardly reaching 33°C.

When we grow chilli plants we put them in pots so they focus on growing upwards rather than laying down long roots.

They were in small pots for around 5 weeks then larger pots for another 5 weeks then relocated to the garden.

The packet says harvest in 12 to 14 weeks so they will have to hurry.

It also says 22°C to 28°C is the ideal temperature for growing. The temperature only drops that low overnight here. Although it's been overcast through recent days hardly reaching 33°C.
Strange really - your temperature is about right and they should be much larger and flowering. Where did you get the seeds?
It's probably too warm for them.

The RHS says that temperatures over 30°C reduce fruiting (RHS - Chilli peppers) and I have noticed that when I've grown them here, they don't flower or fruit until autumn when my temps start dropping to sensible temperatures.

Chilli plants will tolerate a minimum night temperature of 12ºC (54ºF), but better results are achieved above 15ºC (59ºF), and avoid temperatures over 30ºC (86ºF) as this can reduce fruiting.

It's probably too warm for them.

The RHS says that temperatures over 30°C reduce fruiting (RHS - Chilli peppers) and I have noticed that when I've grown them here, they don't flower or fruit until autumn when my temps start dropping to sensible temperatures.

My chili peppers will flower in too hot weather, but not set fruit. The flowers just fall off after a few days. I get my best chilis October through November.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom