What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours is growing and is giving out new shoots so I snipped them off, dipped the stem in water then in rooting compound and planted in soil mixed with a lot of grit for drainage. Never done it before so fingers crossed.

View attachment 28147

Hmm...not looking too healthy but there are a few new buds so I have cut off the the old dried up dead stuff, see how it goes.

P_20190607_144145.jpg

Nice growing your own plants and crops eh? I will,need to start propagating soon. I start mine in the hot water cylinder cupboard.

Russ

The rain is pouring down, the wind is very strong, the poor iris are being battered.

My front garden is basically a wildlife garden but has a small hazel tree, an elder tree, an apple tree and brambles (blackberries) in there. The back garden has an elder tree and a large hazel tree (which produces nuts every year). I have planted some peas and tomato plants out there this year but am not holding my breath as the dog will probably pinch them. I have a selection of herbs indoors plus a couple of tomato plants which have the grand total of 3 tomatoes on at present but are in flower. I also have some pepper plants sprouting, which will probably remain indoors, and some English rocket. I did get some nice sweet peppers off the pepper plants I grew in my kitchen last time, but the very cold weather killed the plants off as well as the herbs. Hopefully I'll have a bit more luck this year.

We finally harvested our squash from the garden. It was an escapee that had been planted along with our sour cherry trees. The plant has finally died back this week.

I've forgotten what type of squash it is though but its a heritage variety so I'm expecting it to be tasty. I'll save a few seeds. It is fairly heavy for its size!

20190611_131514.jpg

We finally harvested our squash from the garden. It was an escapee that had been planted along with our sour cherry trees. The plant has finally died back this week.

I've forgotten what type of squash it is though but its a heritage variety so I'm expecting it to be tasty. I'll save a few seeds. It is fairly heavy for its size!

View attachment 28460

I can recommend using some of it for this dish from @Herbie (vegan): Warm squash, red onion and brown lentil salad. I made this and was very impressed:

fullsizeoutput_3c7d.jpeg

This afternoon we bought some plants for the hanging baskets and a tomato plant, still in their pots sitting on the patio being well watered with the rain :rain::rain:

I almost bought another orchid :shy:

I planted up the hanging basket, there were more plants than room so the remaining few are in a pot, planted the tomato plant and threw out the failed camelias and started again with fresh cuttings and ericacious compost so fingers crossed.

The two tomato plants I put out in the garden have got over being transplanted and are now starting to thrive. As I suspected might happen, the pea plants have been nobbled by the dog! There are already nuts on my hazel tree in the back garden. About 3-4 months earlier than usual, but the weird weather we've been having is probably to blame. The dog will have to be on squirrel watch - the nuts are a bit too high up for him to reach, luckily :giggle:

I planted up the hanging basket, there were more plants than room so the remaining few are in a pot, planted the tomato plant and threw out the failed camelias and started again with fresh cuttings and ericacious compost so fingers crossed.

Tried hanging baskets here 2 years in a row, dismal failure. Tomatoes never grew despite lots of effort. Strawberries Did grow, very slowly.

Russ

Tried hanging baskets here 2 years in a row, dismal failure. Tomatoes never grew despite lots of effort. Strawberries Did grow, very slowly.

Russ

We bought our plants from the same garden centre as last year because we know they will thrive. Strawberries we have not has success with :(

We bought our plants from the same garden centre as last year because we know they will thrive. Strawberries we have not has success with :(

Strawberries are governed by weather, we had really really hot summer here, I only picked 2 kgs, but the year before I picked 9kgs.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom