What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mum used to grow strawberries in her garden. We knew they were ripe when my lurcher came in with juice all over her snout :laugh: I've cheated and ordered some strawberries with my shopping. I am going to have to hide them from the canine member of the family,

A bit of weather damage
P_20190615_185409.jpg

Family around yesterday, daughter was sitting at the table looking out towards the back garden. Says to my wife brassicas are looking good. Lol, she's a gardener as well, I grow seeds for all my kids. Anyway I went out and had a look, cabbages nearly ready, sprouts ready next weekend. Yum. Still picking lemons. I'll start a thread on lemons shortly.

Russ

Still picking lemons. I'll start a thread on lemons shortly.
I have a tree bent double covered in lemons. Some are last year's, some are green and small, some are this years just gone and large ripe and sour, some are large over ripe and almost sweet and some are on the ground rotting. I have a freezer full of them and am at a loss as to know what else to do with them. We give them away by the kilo!

I have a tree bent double covered in lemons. Some are last year's, some are green and small, some are this years just gone and large ripe and sour, some are large over ripe and almost sweet and some are on the ground rotting. I have a freezer full of them and am at a loss as to know what else to do with them. We give them away by the kilo!

Yeah wife takes to her workmates and kids take some home on Sunday's.

Russ

IMG_1351a.jpg

The giant pink poppies are finished, the mauve ones are nearing their end, and the bright red and purple ones are in full swing.

This morning we spent at least 3 hours gardening, my husband was in the back cutting down taking out, 2 trips to the tip got rid of a lot and I worked on the front, mowed the lawn and did a lot of weeding, with us having so much rain lately the lawn and weeds have gone wild so want to get back on top of it before the next lot of rain comes.

Right now, its pruning time. I'm trying to get the fruit trees more productive and better suited to being netted. They have been left feral for decades and some have infections or have responded with very convoluted growth instead of nice straight branches. This is a good indicator that leaves on these branches will be infected and carry on with the diseases, so I've been pruning and taking 50-75% of branches off the worst affected fruit trees. Given we had not fruit from them last year, except for figs, lemons and apricots, I'm not too worried about pruning the apples, pears and soft fruit to within an inch of their lives if it gets rid of the infections they have - probably fungal, so now is the time to deal with them (winter). I can get rid of all of the infected wood and leaves before spring and hopefully get the ground underneath them sprayed with a copper solution. The result is a lot of wood going into the trailer. I don't want to compost it because of the possible fungal infection and I haven't got any safe ground to burn it, so it will get taken to the tip once the trailer is very full. Luckily we now have a battery operated chainsaw which makes life a touch easier for me. I can't lift petrol operated ones because they are too heavy for my bad back - more accurately I can lift them safely but pay for it the next day or that afternoon.... so its not worth it.

I'm also in discussion with my OH to get some raspberry canes in. I have a location, I just need the approval from the CFO!

Potatoes have gone beresk this year, getting good crop of strawberries, peas and broad beans going well, tray of leeks, spring onions, some sweet marjoram coming along, but for some reason my purple basil never germinated or it is extremely slow.

Right now, its pruning time. I'm trying to get the fruit trees more productive and better suited to being netted. They have been left feral for decades and some have infections or have responded with very convoluted growth instead of nice straight branches. This is a good indicator that leaves on these branches will be infected and carry on with the diseases, so I've been pruning and taking 50-75% of branches off the worst affected fruit trees. Given we had not fruit from them last year, except for figs, lemons and apricots, I'm not too worried about pruning the apples, pears and soft fruit to within an inch of their lives if it gets rid of the infections they have - probably fungal, so now is the time to deal with them (winter). I can get rid of all of the infected wood and leaves before spring and hopefully get the ground underneath them sprayed with a copper solution. The result is a lot of wood going into the trailer. I don't want to compost it because of the possible fungal infection and I haven't got any safe ground to burn it, so it will get taken to the tip once the trailer is very full. Luckily we now have a battery operated chainsaw which makes life a touch easier for me. I can't lift petrol operated ones because they are too heavy for my bad back - more accurately I can lift them safely but pay for it the next day or that afternoon.... so its not worth it.

I'm also in discussion with my OH to get some raspberry canes in. I have a location, I just need the approval from the CFO!

Hope you get raspberry canes, we did a few years ago. Havnt looked back, home made jam and Coulis is a real treat. The taste is so different. My granddaughter took my last coulis a week or so ago. She loves it on ice cream. Looking forward to this summer.

Russ

Potatoes have gone beresk this year, getting good crop of strawberries, peas and broad beans going well, tray of leeks, spring onions, some sweet marjoram coming along, but for some reason my purple basil never germinated or it is extremely slow.

Do you make strawberry jam??

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom