What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not freeze the peas?

Russ

I've never grown peas before. I suppose if I succeeded and got loads then I would freeze them. But quite honesty, shop bought frozen peas are excellent. The dried peas I planted are the type sold to make mushy peas.

I've never grown peas before. I suppose if I succeeded and got loads then I would freeze them. But quite honesty, shop bought frozen peas are excellent. The dried peas I planted are the type sold to make mushy peas.

Just not the same as home grown. We buy frozen as well as we only grow enough for the Xmas period.

Russ

Its all summery and lush out there:

Lawn full of lapsana communis, the common (unfortunately named) nipplewort. Which I've learned is a species of the sunflower family.

fullsizeoutput_4dd8.jpeg

I sat reading.

fullsizeoutput_4dd2.jpeg

The canna lily has blossomed.

fullsizeoutput_4ddb.jpeg

We seem to be a bit behind in the garden this year - I think its because we went on holiday at the end of April for 3 weeks so everything was delayed planting out until mid May, then June was pretty cold.

In the greenhouse we're growing a few different varieties of tomato this year: Chocolate Cherry, Gardeners' Ecstasy, Latah, Purple Ukraine and Orange Banana - I like to try something new each year :) We have quite a few immature fruits, hopefully they'll start to ripen soon!
O2v5cFUl.jpg

Elsewhere, the spring onions, leeks and beetroot are going well, but the pak choi has bolted :( and the cucumbers are really really behind - though there are a few flowers now.

Although we're not doing so well on the veg front in the garden this year, the flower beds are looking great - we've had lots of roses and lillies, and the Agapanthus has decided to flower this year (sadly no photos as its a bit wet out there right now!).

^^^ It's a clearwing hummingbird moth. Not rare, but I'd never seen one.

Propagating more lettuces (iceberg) radishes and spring onions. These are 3 weeks after the last ones planted. Wife planted dahlias and lilies. Last year we had the most beautiful Lilly off one bulb. She bought about another dozen.

Russ

I cleaned the lounge so put the house plants outside for some air with views to watering them when finished-mother nature is doing the job for me

:rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain:

Here's a lesson in buying flowers.

1. Planter with no new flowers, just what came back up from last year:

243EA068-0619-4232-AB0E-109FF718B860.jpeg

2. Flowers bought from the mega DIY center in town ($30US):
81B6072C-2547-4BB1-AC75-A373EC6A7D2A.jpeg

3. Flowers bought at the local family-owned greenhouse ($45):
05177705-5A3E-49AA-9AC5-D9952A247BC1.jpeg

4. Flowers bought at the posh suburban garden center ($70):
A7EEE8E6-9961-4298-A308-B019564270FE.jpeg

All flowers bought and planted within 30 days of each other, and same number of plants in each box.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for!

Here's a lesson in buying flowers.

1. Planter with no new flowers, just what came back up from last year:

View attachment 30027

2. Flowers bought from the mega DIY center in town ($30US):
View attachment 30028

3. Flowers bought at the local family-owned greenhouse ($45):
View attachment 30029

4. Flowers bought at the posh suburban garden center ($70):
View attachment 30030

All flowers bought and planted within 30 days of each other, and same number of plants in each box.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for!

Have you ever thought of propagating your own,? I do flowers here then when they are a couple of inches high the wife takes over and plants out. Last year we had amazing carnations for like $2. Also other flowers as well.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom