What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever thought of propagating your own,?
Not seriously, no. I really, really, well and truly, do not like gardening, and buying the flowers each year is about the easiest on me as far as effort goes.

I did six planters this year, and that was more than enough effort on my part. I love the look of nice flowers, but the wife couldn't give a rat's about it and doesn't see the point.

This is out front:
02C1E235-3193-4E67-BC0F-5AEEDA54DA3A.jpeg

Lawn man was here yesterday, no growth so it's been 4 weeks since last time. Seeds are growing in the greenhouse.

Russ
Not seriously, no. I really, really, well and truly, do not like gardening, and buying the flowers each year is about the easiest on me as far as effort goes.

I did six planters this year, and that was more than enough effort on my part. I love the look of nice flowers, but the wife couldn't give a rat's about it and doesn't see the point.

This is out front:
View attachment 30053

I too hate gardening, that's why I grow seeds, the wife loves gardening so she plants everything out to suit her. Your flowers look amazing. My fave are carnations, by a street. My wife has fond memories of her and her dad in the garden for long periods. I think she misses those moments, her dad passed away when she was about 9 or 10. She is a good gardener, I'm not, I do plant new potatoes for Xmas day though.

Russ

Our kids also take plants from me when they are ready to plant out. They just took home strawberry plants my wife divided up yesterday.

Russ

Thanks! My wife doesn't do any gardening whatsoever, so whatever gets done outside, I'm the one who does it, and I don't like doing it, either. :)

Thanks! My wife doesn't do any gardening whatsoever, so whatever gets done outside, I'm the one who does it, and I don't like doing it, either. :)

I'm the same - but I pay a gardener to do the boring bits. He isn't a professional gardener he is a retired baker. His name is Gordon Baker -so he used to be Baker the baker and now he's Gordon the gardener! He's brilliant and doesn't charge a lot.

but I pay a gardener to do the boring bits. He isn't a professional gardener
In the '90's, when we lived in England (near Huntingdon), we rented a little village house that included the services of a gardener. For a dumb hillbilly American boy, it felt like I was lord of the manor!

It wasn't an ostentatious house, it's just that the owners were living abroad and they wanted the garden maintained, so they hired a guy to come around once every week or so to tend to things.

It was so nice having a professionally-maintained garden - there was always color somewhere year-round, it seemed.

I'm the same - but I pay a gardener to do the boring bits. He isn't a professional gardener he is a retired baker. His name is Gordon Baker -so he used to be Baker the baker and now he's Gordon the gardener! He's brilliant and doesn't charge a lot.

Lol, my lawn man also does tree trimming etc as well. He's really good, after last time he txt me and said he sprayed some moss in my driveway, no charge!!

Russ

n the '90's, when we lived in England (near Huntingdon), we rented a little village house that included the services of a gardener. For a dumb hillbilly American boy, it felt like I was lord of the manor!
When we used to live in the south of England, we rented a place with 2½acres of land. Misty of it was woodland with some magnificent old oak trees in there (one had a huge 20m length swing off one of its lower branches). It also had a couple of very large lawns which would take 2-3hrs to cut once a fortnight. Part of three rent included the services of a gardener. After the gardener came the first time and cut the lawn, he left all of the lawn clippings on the lawn! We rang up and complained because it took us longer to rake up all the clippings than it would have done to have cut the lawn ourselves using one if the 2 lawnmowers in the shed. So they agreed to service the lawnmowers once a year and we'd cut the lawn. Better still, not knowing what to do with the money the gardener had been getting and after a few months of us doing to gardening, we find a cheque through the letterbox in the backdoor. To balance the books and meet the owners requirements, we started being paid for doing our own gardening! We lived there for nearly 12 years and once a season we received around 1½ months rent back.

Mind you when we lived in the lake district (the farmhouse we rented came with 999 acres of land, not joking) if we wanted the back lawn cutting (useful for making your way to the washing line) we just let the sheep in for a day. The farmer didn't mind because it was access to fresh grass and he knew there was nothing poisonous to sheep in the garden.

Mind you when we lived in the lake district (the farmhouse we rented came with 999 acres of land, not joking) if we wanted the back lawn cutting (useful for making your way to the washing line) we just let the sheep in for a day. The farmer didn't mind because it was access to fresh grass and he knew there was nothing poisonous to sheep in the garden.

Spent a week in Penrith Lake District, loved exploring around there. Keswick beautiful part of the country.

Russ

Spent a week in Penrith Lake District, loved exploring around there. Keswick beautiful part of the country.

Russ
Penrith was where we used to do our shopping, was where our doctors was and where the nearest (minor injuries only) hospital was. It was a half day's drive round trip and very much an 'outing. It was also the closest petrol station. Where we lived, it was the end of the road and we used to tell people 'if you haven't run out of tarmac, you've not gone far enough'. One road in, one road out, single car width, lined on both sides by a dry stone wall. It was mayhem in the summer months with tourists, especially those who decided that the 6 foot 6 inch width limit didn't apply to their motorhome or caravan... one journey to work once took me an hour and a half to cover 8 miles. Sometimes (days when i could walk more than 500m and was a lot fitter), I'd walk the 13 miles and 1,250m climb) to work if I was on the 3pm to end shift (usually midnight). Hubby worked the 9am to 3pm shift and would walk home. We'd exchange car keys at work!

Penrith was where we used to do our shopping, was where our doctors was and where the nearest (minor injuries only) hospital was. It was a half day's drive round trip and very much an 'outing. It was also the closest petrol station. Where we lived, it was the end of the road and we used to tell people 'if you haven't run out of tarmac, you've not gone far enough'. One road in, one road out, single car width, lined on both sides by a dry stone wall. It was mayhem in the summer months with tourists, especially those who decided that the 6 foot 6 inch width limit didn't apply to their motorhome or caravan... one journey to work once took me an hour and a half to cover 8 miles. Sometimes (days when i could walk more than 500m and was a lot fitter), I'd walk the 13 miles and 1,250m climb) to work if I was on the 3pm to end shift (usually midnight). Hubby worked the 9am to 3pm shift and would walk home. We'd exchange car keys at work!

Yeah we stayed in a massive like motel units about 3 story high.?
I could live there easy.

Russ

Yeah we stayed in a massive like motel units about 3 story high.?
I could live there easy.

Russ
We had a 5 bedroomed farmhouse with 2 sitting rooms. Running water sometimes in the wrong places, meant 1 room was permanently closed due to having it's own personal swimming pool. The sitting room had three only heating, an open fire which even in summer was needed at night. The kitchen was interesting but there was a wonderful pantry. We had cold water only in the kitchen. Unpresurised, filtered through a sand trap only to remove sediment. The wiring was best described as lethal 1 light actual had 3 separate switches so depending pin what the other 2 were on depended on if you turned yours on or turned on/off a.n.other light somewhere in the house (the only guarantee was it was either any upstairs light or just 1 light downstairs...) problem was that you could only get this 1 light to turn back off if another stitch was... there were something like 16 different combinations and only 1 had everything off as it should be and only 1 had it on add is should be... but the matter bedroom had 3 windows, one of which looked up the valley to the valley head and all of the land out could see, came with the house, plus it looked stunning... The veg plot was a disaster though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom