What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took all the tree trimmings to Eco dump yesterday. A big caged trailer full. The wife split a lot of raspberry canes into smaller pots and given about 20 canes away.

Russ

Raspberries are the one thing I haven't yet got going again here in Australia. They are very strict with what you can have and how well it seeds because of birds eating the raspberries. Like **** they will here. They won't get chance. Raspberries are my all time favourite food.

Wife's are in lots as they take over everything. And down side of house where nothing grows except mint. I just looooove raspberry coulis and jam. Grandys also ask for it. Miss 10 asked me the other day for more jam. Hoping for a glut this year.

Russ

Raspberries are the one thing I haven't yet got going again here in Australia. They are very strict with what you can have and how well it seeds because of birds eating the raspberries. Like **** they will here. They won't get chance. Raspberries are my all time favourite food.

How would they know - do 'they' come round and inspect people's gardens?

Too much shade for veges to grow. Now to clean up. Over here waste rubbish depots take green waste free of charge. I'll cut thick bits up got my friends open fire. The rubbish place makes compost out of green waste and sell it so they don't charge to take it off me. I'll get a trailer on Monday and get rid of it.

Russ

My city does the same thing. They compost the the lawn and tree waste, and also make mulch to dress gardens. Every City Utility customer is entitled to a pickup truck load of the stuff per year, and they bag and sell the rest. My trees are way too big for me to prune. They are bigger than my house. I have to hire somebody to prune them. The tree service uses a giant chipper to grind big branches into 1-inch chips.

BTW, that was some pretty aggressive pruning on your trees. :ohmy:

CD

Our two-acre property is lined on two sides with wild black raspberries. MrsTasty eats them every day when they're in season.

Our two-acre property is lined on two sides with wild black raspberries. MrsTasty eats them every day when they're in season.
Sadly here unless fruit (of any kind) is fenced in, it is just fodder for the birds and they are very hungry birds that stand roughly +2 foot high and come in large flocks, Sulphur crested Cockatoos. They and Rosellas (mostly crimson rosellas) can eat a tree empty in a day. Small soft fruit doesn't stand a chance.

Any veg is fodder for possums (brush tailed offer ring tailed here, not the same as those you get but equally as destructive). It can be really hard growing any vegetable at all.

This year will be an experiment. It is the first year growing anything here, except for herbs that it. Last year I was still in hospital after life saving surgery so missed getting the veg plot dug. We've only been here 18 months. It's a 600 acre sheep farm. Not sure how much space we have to use, but I do know it's less than the last place which was 5 acres, but we're not confined to those 5 acres here. We can venture across all 600 acres if we want to.

My city does the same thing. They compost the the lawn and tree waste, and also make mulch to dress gardens. Every City Utility customer is entitled to a pickup truck load of the stuff per year, and they bag and sell the rest. My trees are way too big for me to prune. They are bigger than my house. I have to hire somebody to prune them. The tree service uses a giant chipper to grind big branches into 1-inch chips.

BTW, that was some pretty aggressive pruning on your trees. :ohmy:

CD
My wife's brother is a qualified tree guy, he recommended three trees for us about 15 to 20 years ago. A cherry blossom and those two at the back. He said all would only grow 6 ft. He was wrong. The first one is gone, got to about 20 ft. The back two you can see are lucky to still be here. My b.i.l has a history of mucking up. I shouldn't have listened to him,lmao.

Russ

Planted two types of carrots today, never had much luck with these so we will see. Gerkins and courgettes are up and away. Strawberries are fruiting up with flowers everywhere. Corn planted out along with more lettuces, my friend came round and took home lettuce and spring onion seedlings.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom