What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure. They've upgraded our local fire risk from severe to extreme, so from level 4 to level 5 out of 6. It's only been that high once before whilst we've been living here in Australia. Basically if there's a fire, there is a distinct chance of loss of life.
Extreme is the get out before it is too late. Level 6 is you've left it too late, do what you can to survive but don't use a motor vehicle.

Our whole area is bone dry. It's a tinder box. We've lost huge old eucalyptus trees over winter because of the lack of water. Too little, too late.
We need to talk it over tonight as to whether I stay here tomorrow or visit a friend in the city. She'll be working but I can stay if I need to.
Good luck, I'd err on the side of caution. I have the utmost respect for fire and water.

Russ

Good luck, I'd err on the side of caution. I have the utmost respect for fire and water.

Russ
The biggest problem is that almost the entire state is on a raised or very highly elevated state of emergency. In fact I think a state wide emergency had been declared. The state is larger in size than Texas (80.9444 million ha verses 69.5662 million ha) and something half the size of Wales (UK) is currently on fire (or has been this last week), roughly 1 million hectares.
Where do you send that many people, even when they're are relatively few of us?

4°C this morning and rising when I got up. Tbe wind had blown the frost covers off just about everything overnight and the wind chill is well below zero. Hopefully...

I've done an hour in the garden already, digging in the veg plot. I've got a 10 minute break and then I'm on planting things. That will leave a 2-3m by 1.5m gap between the sorrell and the rhubarb and a 1m by 1.5m gap by the runner beans still to dig and plant. I'm getting there slowly.

Thay said it is still only 8°C outside... brrr

4°C this morning and rising when I got up. Tbe wind had blown the frost covers off just about everything overnight and the wind chill is well below zero. Hopefully...

I've done an hour in the garden already, digging in the veg plot. I've got a 10 minute break and then I'm on planting things. That will leave a 2-3m by 1.5m gap between the sorrell and the rhubarb and a 1m by 1.5m gap by the runner beans still to dig and plant. I'm getting there slowly.

Thay said it is still only 8°C outside... brrr

Beautiful day yesterday, today a bit overcast but Good for horse racing

Russ

Well the peppers and the chillies were not looking too happy after the frosty overnight bit I think they'll recover. No huge loss if they don't.

Everything I dug this morning is now planted. Onions, leeks, bak choi, sorrel, strawberries, chillies, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and a few other things. Still plenty to get into the ground sp I don't have to keep watering them every evening... I'll post photos later, though there isn't much to see

Well the peppers and the chillies were not looking too happy after the frosty overnight bit I think they'll recover. No huge loss if they don't.

Everything I dug this morning is now planted. Onions, leeks, bak choi, sorrel, strawberries, chillies, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, and a few other things. Still plenty to get into the ground sp I don't have to keep watering them every evening... I'll post photos later, though there isn't much to see

How's the fires?

Russ

How's the fires?

Russ
we were lucky. Others were not.
100km away they were not good yesterday but the wind blew the smoke away from us thankfully. However it also lifted a huge amount of dust into the air to the point of blocking out the sun dropping 10°C off the temp. Better today but there's one 43km away, bush fire, that's in a direct line up wind of me sho one to keep an eye on. They can cover that distance in an hour in tbe right circumstances but I think it would be a 2-3hrs today.

This is Brisbane to Sydney right now... all od those yellow were red yesterday and that's around 1 million hectares (2.5 million acres) burnt in those boxes.

Slightly zoomed in on the coast shows the extent.

But I think everyone wad lucky yesterday except for Port Albert (?).

we were lucky. Others were not.
100km away they were not good yesterday but the wind blew the smoke away from us thankfully. However it also lifted a huge amount of dust into the air to the point of blocking out the sun dropping 10°C off the temp. Better today but there's one 43km away, bush fire, that's in a direct line up wind of me sho one to keep an eye on. They can cover that distance in an hour in tbe right circumstances but I think it would be a 2-3hrs today.

This is Brisbane to Sydney right now... all od those yellow were red yesterday and that's around 1 million hectares (2.5 million acres) burnt in those boxes.
View attachment 34654

Slightly zoomed in on the coast shows the extent.

View attachment 34655
But I think everyone wad lucky yesterday except for Port Albert (?).

I've been watching those same pictures of the fires. My friend from Ulladulla has been keeping me up to date. He goes back on the 22 nd. He can't wait to get back.

Russ

I am simmering a dutch oven full of Cuban black beans. For peppers, I used the tiny jalapeños I harvested right before the first freeze. They were barely over an inch in length. I had three of them that I finely diced, and sweated with my onions and garlic.

Holy Moly! I stirred and tasted my simmering beans, and set my mouth on fire. Those tiny peppers packed a big punch.

I should have taste tested a bite of one of the peppers. My last hot peppers of the season are always the hottest.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom