What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they need pollinating to produce fruit?
Yes. Some fruits are self-fertile (ie. can use their own pollen to fertilise) and others need a pollination partner - but in all cases someone (or something.....usually bees) needs to physically transfer the pollen to the stigma. That's why you'll often see tomato growers gently shake their plants.

Great pic of your allotment. Do you not have your own land? I don't think I'd like to travel to do some gardening.?

Russ
Yes we have a garden, and its a reasonable size by British standards (about 130 sqm) but that's too small to grow many things if you also want to have an attractive place to sit out and enjoy the sunshine. The allotment on the other hand doesn't need to be pretty - just functional.

Got a quote for removing a tree, cutting and taking away for $80. It's between the greenhouses and wife wants more room so it was a nice day today, did a few things that needed doing then sat down on the deck outside. Nice day about 18 deg c so I decided to get the chain saw out. An hour later job done, $80 saved. Drilled holes in stump and poured diesel into stump.

Russ

This morning TVC was out in the front garden weeding and tidying, I mowed the lawn and tidied the edges. A good morning's work whilst still cool, can now see this so much easier.

So far the redcurrant bush (also in its third year) has produced nothing. No flowers even. Is it too early?
How's your redcurrant doing now - any signs of flowers?
I checked our's on the allotment yesterday and the redcurrant is way behind the white- and blackcurrants.

Blackcurrant Ben Connan - flowered a couple of weeks ago and now has lots of baby blackcurrants:
AKnd7FQl.jpg

Blackcurrant Ebony - same as the other blackcurrant, if anything the baby blackcurrants are slightly bigger:
Aak5pXMl.jpg

Whitecurrant Blanka - this one is covered in long trusses of tiny whitecurrants
JKR7ULSl.jpg

Redcurrant Rovada - at first I thought there was nothing, but I finally found a couple of flower trusses down near the bottom - its too early to tell if these are fertilised or not:
eyn3Xigl.jpg

... Hey! I have some. One truss of berries and a few odd berries. They were right at the back of the bush lower down. I'm bending the branches forward here to show them I would never have spotted them if you hadn't posted about yours MrsDangermouse.
Yay :woot: Looks like they're pretty well advanced too - they're a lot bigger than any of ours!

Is it summer there yet? You must be getting good weather for growing. We have winter crops growing , I miss the summers.

Russ

Its Spring here. Very good weather recently though little rain. Here in Kent (which often has the best weather in the UK it seems) we are getting lots of blue skies and sunny days. Temperatures are a pleasant 15 to 20 C.

I've managed to raise some rocket seeds and saved them in the nick of time before the squirrels started digging around in the pots. Unfortunately they managed to dig around in the pot of coriander seedlings and only a few survived. I've now put string criss-cross over the pots to stop them. What are the squirrels looking for I wonder?

I did manage to get some rosemary, basil, and parsley today. The only thing I'm really lacking is dill, but I can get that later or live without it.

I did manage to get some rosemary, basil, and parsley today. The only thing I'm really lacking is dill, but I can get that later or live without it.

I have all those growing in the garden ATM. Can you not grow your own? Rosemary and basil grow year round there don't they?? Basil is the same here, only grows for about 9 months a year? I have cilantro growing here ATM which my wife is trying in the greenhouse. Winter is next month so it's unreal it's still growing here. I guess varmints get yours??

Russ

I have all those growing in the garden ATM. Can you not grow your own? Rosemary and basil grow year round there don't they?? Basil is the same here, only grows for about 9 months a year? I have cilantro growing here ATM which my wife is trying in the greenhouse. Winter is next month so it's unreal it's still growing here. I guess varmints get yours??

Russ
Not sure what you're asking. I got rosemary, basil, and parsley today to plant, so yeah, it's growing now. I had thyme, sage, oregano, mint, and chives make it through the winter. The rosemary, parsley, and basil didn't. That's why I had to buy some today. I would normally had bought some dill, but they didn't have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom