What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you're asking. I got rosemary, basil, and parsley today to plant, so yeah, it's growing now. I had thyme, sage, oregano, mint, and chives make it through the winter. The rosemary, parsley, and basil didn't. That's why I had to buy some today. I would normally had bought some dill, but they didn't have any.

Sorry, my bad, I thought you bought it fresh to cook. Didn't realise you were planting. Opposite season. I must grow dill,this season too. :)

Russ

Sorry, my bad, I thought you bought it fresh to cook. Didn't realise you were planting. Opposite season. I must grow dill,this season too. :)

Russ
My big issue with herbs is that cooking for two, even a couple of small plants of each variety can be too much. I've got so much thyme growing right now, it's crazy, and just from two plants.

In my deep south region Rosemary is perennial. So is Thyme. Sage will last two or three years. Basil and Dill are annuals - a misnomer. Annual does not mean that the plant will last for a year. Annuals will last for a season. In my climate Dill and Basil are only good for a couple of months. They bolt (flower and seed) very quickly. I keep seeds sprouting to replenish my plants all spring/summer and fall. I have tried growing oregano unsuccessfully for several years. I am very pleased to say that I have two pots of happy oregano. Parsley and scallions are also doing well. We have had a lot of rain recently so water has not been an issue. I am disappointed with my tomatoes. I love Heirloom tomatoes. The problem is that they are not virus or disease resistant. I think I have a soil born virus issue.😭 The only remedy is to empty my boxes and add new soil next season (fall).

My big issue with herbs is that cooking for two, even a couple of small plants of each variety can be too much. I've got so much thyme growing right now, it's crazy, and just from two plants.

TR - quit crying, be happy and dry your herbs. You will have a wonderful supply for the winter.

Our plots just for us 2, however we supply dried herbs for our friends and family. Sage grows crazy, my wife mentioned it on a poo pourri book page, some woman comes around and takes excess. I think she said its for her rabbits? Coriander and basil we buy at start of the summer.

Russ

I have not had much luck with coriander (cilantro). I always forget to plant in the fall. In my region it is more of a cool weather crop.

I have not had much luck with coriander (cilantro). I always forget to plant in the fall. In my region it is more of a cool weather crop.

My wife read out the seed packet, keep planting in Autumn /fall. So we have extended our season. Winter starts next month and we still have it growing well ATM. Along with basil. I have home made pesto here ATM.

Russ

Not sure what you're asking. I got rosemary, basil, and parsley today to plant, so yeah, it's growing now. I had thyme, sage, oregano, mint, and chives make it through the winter. The rosemary, parsley, and basil didn't. That's why I had to buy some today. I would normally had bought some dill, but they didn't have any.
Our rosemary and sage are useable all year round. Mint, thyme, oregano and chives die back over winter but come back again in spring. Basil and coriander don't survive so have to be replaced each spring.

No such thing as too much. If so I'd have to fell my huge sage bush and rosemary bush. But why would I do that? They look pretty, especially now when in flower. Same with the thyme. The only one to watch is mint which can go rampant. I plant that in a pot.

Our rosemary and sage are useable all year round. Mint, thyme, oregano and chives die back over winter but come back again in spring. Basil and coriander don't survive so have to be replaced each spring.

Exactly the same here. Plus lemon balm which comes up again each Spring. Hyssop also overwinters but has limited culinary use*. Epazote which I planted last year (CraigC mentioned it - I'd never come across it before) died back last winter. It was supposed to be annual - but the stalk is putting out new shoots.

* Must do more research on that.

Epazote which I planted last year (CraigC mentioned it - I'd never come across it before) died back last winter. It was supposed to be annual - but the stalk is putting out new shoots.
I think last winter was pretty mild - we totally forgot to protect our tarragon (and a few other non-culinary plants) and they all made it through :okay:

TR - quit crying, be happy and dry your herbs. You will have a wonderful supply for the winter.
I'm tryin', but it's not dryin'!

I've got oregano and thyme hanging up at the moment, the oregano is coming up on three weeks and is slightly shriveled, but that's it.

I'm tryin', but it's not dryin'!

I've got oregano and thyme hanging up at the moment, the oregano is coming up on three weeks and is slightly shriveled, but that's it.
:scratchhead:
Where are they hanging and how large is the bunch? My herbs dry best in a west facing window in small bunches, stems tied, foliage down. You can also dry just the leaves on cooling racks. Probably not a good idea unless you have spare racks. You can fan fold foil and lay the leaves across the folds. Make the folds small enough to accommodate the leaves. You can keep it out of the way by setting up a table in front of a window in a spare room. If you really have a lot of herbs to dry you may want to invest in an inexpensive dehydrator. I have one that has been in the attic for several years because it is used so seldom. I may pull it down. I do have a lot of herbs and I can also use it to dry cayenne peppers.

:scratchhead:
Where are they hanging and how large is the bunch? My herbs dry best in a west facing window in small bunches, stems tied, foliage down. You can also dry just the leaves on cooling racks. Probably not a good idea unless you have spare racks. You can fan fold foil and lay the leaves across the folds. Make the folds small enough to accommodate the leaves. You can keep it out of the way by setting up a table in front of a window in a spare room. If you really have a lot of herbs to dry you may want to invest in an inexpensive dehydrator. I have one that has been in the attic for several years because it is used so seldom. I may pull it down. I do have a lot of herbs and I can also use it to dry cayenne peppers.
I've got them hanging up under my bar, from the hooks for the Christmas lights. :)

Here're a couple of pics:

That's two weeks apart in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom