What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually pock a few veggies every other day. I have not harvested since Thursday. Today's haul.

Green beans to be scalded, vacuum sealed and frozen. Cucumbers - eat a lot and maybe do a quick pickle. Jalapenos, Purple Bells, Serranos and Sweet Banana Peppers. There are a couple of Anaheims that will be ready in a day or two and some Green Bells.
I can cut them and freeze. I was considering a mixed pepper venison chili. I did that last summer. It was delish and G loved it.
morning glory you can see why I am interested in your pepper sauce.
Sadly my tomatoes are not doing well at all. I have only a few and do not know if they will ripen. The draw back of Heirlooms is that they are not virus resistant. They are suffering from a soil born virus. I have a few watermelon and cantaloupe. I have to get out early tomorrow morning. Everything needs watering and feeding. The watermelon and cantaloupe are growing vertically. The fruit needs to be supported with slings. I will take pics so you can see what I am talking about.

I usually pock a few veggies every other day. I have not harvested since Thursday. Today's haul.
View attachment 41392

Green beans to be scalded, vacuum sealed and frozen. Cucumbers - eat a lot and maybe do a quick pickle. Jalapenos, Purple Bells, Serranos and Sweet Banana Peppers. There are a couple of Anaheims that will be ready in a day or two and some Green Bells.
I can cut them and freeze. I was considering a mixed pepper venison chili. I did that last summer. It was delish and G loved it.
Sadly my tomatoes are not doing well at all. I have only a few and do not know if they will ripen. The draw back of Heirlooms is that they are not virus resistant. They are suffering from a soil born virus. I have a few watermelon and cantaloupe. I have to get out early tomorrow morning. Everything needs watering and feeding. The watermelon and cantaloupe are growing vertically. The fruit needs to be supported with slings. I will take pics so you can see what I am talking about.

How fantastic - good photo too! :okay:

View attachment 41392

My sister in Houston is having problems with her tomatoes, too. She is getting some fruit, but not near as much as usual. The leaves are browning on most of her plants.

She also has some banana peppers that are huge, but dark green instead of yellow. They should be yellow by now.

As for my garden, the plants are still growing at a snail's pace. I don't know why. I'm doing everything I normally do.

CD

I"m just getting started with my garden. I have 16 pepper seedlings that I'm growing in bags. About that many tomatoes but I know some of them won't make it. And will plant cucumbers this week sometime, along with some Jakuri melons that a friend sent me seeds for. Also some canteloupe, so I am very interested in the sling method ElizabethB is using. I have lettuce growing in the sunroom upstairs and will sow some spinach soon as well. I'm a pretty haphazard gardener though. I once dug up my entire front yard but it was too much to take care of.

Here in the UK we have had the sunniest Spring since records began in 1929. Rainfall has been approximately 1/3 of what it was during the last spring drought of 2018. Despite the extensive rainfall and flooding we had during the winter it appears we may be about to run out of water. I am currently irrigating, in anticipation of a bumper fruit crop. Raspberries, loganberries, black currants and apples are looking really good, but some rainfall would be appreciated.

Here in the UK we have had the sunniest Spring since records began in 1929. Rainfall has been approximately 1/3 of what it was during the last spring drought of 2018. Despite the extensive rainfall and flooding we had during the winter it appears we may be about to run out of water. I am currently irrigating, in anticipation of a bumper fruit crop. Raspberries, loganberries, black currants and apples are looking really good, but some rainfall would be appreciated.

My lawn is going brown. I don't have a hosepipe. Looked them up yesterday and go totally bewildered by the different types and the reviews saying they get twisted or spring leaks or whatever. Any recommendations from UK folk appreciated.

My lawn is going brown. I don't have a hosepipe. Looked them up yesterday and go totally bewildered by the different types and the reviews saying they get twisted or spring leaks or whatever. Any recommendations from UK folk appreciated.
Gardena are pretty good. We have one on a reel. I wouldn't recommend an enclosed reel though as they are not easy to sort out when the hose doesn't wind in evenly. The push on connectors are good, and pretty universal. Don't buy B&Q own brand, it's rubbish.

I had to look up "hosepipe" to be sure of its meaning. We'd call it a garden hose.

Anyway, I went industrial grade last time I bought hoses. Mine are made by Continental, the tire company... or tyre company. It is rather heavy, but is does not kink like most garden hoses... or hosepipes.

CD

I don't know how big your garden is, but if its only small and/or you don't have the space to store a hose on a reel then a cheap expanding hose is a really good solution. We bought one in Aldi last year and use it as an extension when we need to get the hosepipe round to the front of the house, or for filling the motorhome water tank - its lasted fine so far but I wouldn't expect any expanding hose to last very long with regular use (hence going for a cheap one) as they do tend to weaken with prolonged use and then split.

Gardena are pretty good. We have one on a reel. I wouldn't recommend an enclosed reel though as they are not easy to sort out when the hose doesn't wind in evenly. The push on connectors are good, and pretty universal. Don't buy B&Q own brand, it's rubbish.
I actually quite like the enclosed auto-reel ones and never have a problem with it winding in evenly, though our Hozelock one has an arm inside it that distributes the hose across the drum as it winds in so that probably helps.....its far easier to use than our old manual exposed reel one. I find Hozelock and Gardena are pretty similar in terms of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom