What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That scene is so Australian, lol, I've spent a lot of time travelling over there. We go over nearly every winter here for a few weeks, the climate is better over there.

Russ

D

Winter here is frosts a lot in June July August. Lots of rain, I hate it. 10 days on the Gold Coast suits me.

Russ
I'll get the frosts. -10C and lower is not uncommon where I live and we'll get many many nights of it through July and August mainly at that temp. June is more -5C. We just lack the rain. It tends to come all at once rather than gradually so the land doesn't get chance to soak it in. It just runs off taking the soil with it... Last rain we had was 80-100mm in the space of 2 hrs. Needless to say it didn't top up the ground water much where I was but did create some flash flooding which drained too quickly...

Rain is forecasts for tomorrow with high winds. We'll see.

Nicest morning of the year so far: Pictures taken at 06:00.
IMG_0202.JPG

Blossom on a crab apple tree.
IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Have just been in my pumpkin patch. We had our first proper frost this morning.

Wasn’t expecting much as we’ve had very little rain & I’ve barely used the hose.

Found 3 about the size of grapefruit and one that’s worthy of the name pumpkin.

676604E0-52D2-4AD3-A193-24B9B2E2FFD3.jpeg

8B87010E-E8F5-4C95-9770-7BEEDF04EFFE.jpeg

F745AE44-779F-4F8B-8827-059FC68016BF.jpeg

My question is, do I bring them in? Or do the stems need to dry out?

The overnight temps will be low zero pretty soon.

Have just been in my pumpkin patch. We had our first proper frost this morning.

Wasn’t expecting much as we’ve had very little rain & I’ve barely used the hose.

Found 3 about the size of grapefruit and one that’s worthy of the name pumpkin.

View attachment 15963

View attachment 15965

View attachment 15964

My question is, do I bring them in? Or do the stems need to dry out?

The overnight temps will be low zero pretty soon.
It's leave it as long as possible. The Sunshine will get the skin to harden forming that all important protection barrier from it going bad and allowing you to store it.
Another few days or if possible the weekend coming would be ideal. I had to pick mine. One was still growing and grapefruit sized. We just ate it all, skin seeds the lot. I made a soup from it. Several others were just a touch bigger so I've stored them in the fridge. One is a decent size and it's skin has hardened. It's not big by any standard but it looks like it is meant to which is always a good start!

I have lemon envy. Citrus won’t live through the frosts here. They might make it through a season or but eventually they succumb to some weather event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom