What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew black tomatoes last year.
I always stuck to marmand for big salad toms and sun gold for cherry salad toms. For sauce toms outside Amish Paste always performed.

Wow....I had no idea you had such a massive amount of basil! How do you use it all?
I make pesto, I use it in tomato-based pasta sauces, stuffed mushrooms, lemon-basil-butter-wine-cream sauce for seafood pasta dishes, caprese salads, bread crumb-basil toppings for baked fish, basil butter for fresh-baked bread, and then of course, I give it away to my stepkids, inlaws, and the neighbors across the street.

I always stuck to marmand for big salad toms and sun gold for cherry salad toms. For sauce toms outside Amish Paste always performed.View attachment 45754

View attachment 45755
We've never got on with growing Marmandes. They always seem to go a bit mutant. We have a few plants growing at the moment but half the fruit is unusable, maybe our level of care is not good enough for them.

I grew black tomatoes last year. I found I had to leave them a long time on the vine before they ripened. The one I grew (Black Prince) looked ripe and totally black before they were ready.
This must have been a challenge: with most plants, you can get a gauge of how ripe the fruit is by looking at it. Did you wait until there's no green in the coloring? And, how can you tell if they're overly ripe?

We've never got on with growing Marmandes. They always seem to go a bit mutant. We have a few plants growing at the moment but half the fruit is unusable, maybe our level of care is not good enough for them.
My garden would be pretty much full of weeds if it were left up to me, as I don't tend with as much care as my DH does. He waters twice a day and pulls the weeds. I think I even caught him sweet-talking one of the tomato plants last week.

It rained most of the day Tuesday, and all that night. Good, soaking rain that should have penetrated deep into our black clay soil.

My basil looks great! Leaves are still a bit smaller than usual, but perky and green.

I'm actually going to have to mow my small patch of lawn for the first time in almost a month. It is actually growing!

CD

Does anyone grow culinary herbs indoors, like in the kitchen? Whenever I watch this or that cooking show, they've always got pots of herbs up on the window sill or on the counter somewhere, and they just casually snip off what they need.

I've made half-hearted attempts at growing them indoors in the past, but never had much luck. Then again, I have one tiny window in my kitchen, so not a lot of natural light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom