What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my problem. I have large trees in my garden and some right next door in the same spot which means an area of lawn is in almost constant shade and the soil is also dry - presumably because of the tree roots? Beyond that (I have a very long lawn) it is mostly moss. Moss looks like grass from a distance...

The answer is shade tolerant ground cover. It is low growing, green, and looks as nice (or nicer) than turfgrass, and can grow in shade. It is also lower maintenance than grass.

The front of my house faces North, and I have a big elm tree, so grass couldn't survive there. I used native plants and a shade tolerant ground cover in that area.

FrontYard.jpg

CD

My problems with the lawn are complicated.
1: I reside on a farm. It is 850 hectares or 2,500 acres. It is sheep farming country (merino). So, it's not highly fertile land.
2: I'm in the southern hemisphere as you're aware. So that's temperatures from -10°C to roughly 45°C and we're just having a wet period (by which I mean we've had 120 mm of rain in the last month! No, there's no zero missing 12 cm in all of October and 8cm of that has fallen since Saturday just gone)
3: I'm at an altitude high enough to affect yeast and breadmaking significantly and also affect our weather (2,800 feet) - Usually that means moisture in the form of clouds. Thunderstorms have a tendancy to miss us usually travelling between the mountains and down the plains. We see them, we hear them but we don't (usually) get their much needed water.
4: Australian soil is hydrophilic. I'm not kidding. It hates water. Water just beads on it and runs off or evaporates. The soil doesn't absorb it. Despite all the rain since the weekend, if I dig 5cm down the soil will be dry.
5: Watering has several problems. The 1st is that I'm on a private water supply. If it does not rain, the house has no water. The tank holds 22,000 litres and when it's empty the only option Is water from the dams that sheep (and every wild bird or animal or reptile... ) has access to. If it is allowed into the fresh water tank and hence pipes absolutely everything (tank, pipes ...) has to be sterilised before water coming out of the kitchen tap can be considered sterile and safe to drink again. And if there's no water in the tank, then we have no sanitation. And things like bleach, or hydrogen peroxide can't be used in large quantity because we're an a septic tank that is self draining and that drains into one of the fields.
6: Weeds... we can't remove them on mass because they are the only thing holding the soil down. Once the dry weather arrives, any soil not held down somehow is blown away literally. Dust storms are very common and often reduce visibility to less than 100m and block out the sun for days on end. The weeds are field mallow and Cape daisy mostly. Then there's what is known as Australian runner grass. It is not lawn grass at all! I do have a small patch of good grass. It was sewn when we first moved in. It had to be fenced off all round and from above. Australian birds (and other Aussie wildlife) are grassroot eaters by which I mean they eat the roots of grasses. Some of the Aussie specific wildlife is also root eaters. They evolved that way to cope with droughts when grass is dead above the soil.
7: I have chickens. About 20 of them. They eat grass. They dig holes. They are or would be if I had any, great at removing moss from a lawn. They are also great at removing the lawn.And when they find a dry spot with lovely fine dust for soil... Nothing will get grass growing there ever again. They love to dust bathe and a 4kg bird can dig a hole big enough to completely disappear!

Finally, and as if that's not enough all of the surrounding farmes (all sheep farmers) have given up trying to grow grass, ploughed their fields and sewn winter rye so that the sheep actually have something to eat !

As a rule, I don't feed anything in the veg plot either. But they do get watered. Very little water actually goes into the septic tank. There's an Aussie saying related to the toilet... roughly "if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down ". We've revised it slightly to " if you can smell it, flush it" lol.
All other water Is used somewhere in the garden. The cleanest goes to hebs. Next comes veg and the likes (fruiting trees etc) and finally really filthy water goes over flowers that I would like to keep alive during the hot summer. (When we shower, we stand in a very large tub. That is how much water you are allowed for the shower and once It is cold, it is used to water veg & fruit).

I just don't think I stand a chance.

I learnt to garden in the UK (mostly the north). I'm only just finishing my 5th winter here.
I'll see if I can find you a picture of my lawn! lol though I suspect a certain moderator will turn this into a new thread before long! :whistling:

This is my problem. I have large trees in my garden and some right next door in the same spot which means an area of lawn is in almost constant shade and the soil is also dry - presumably because of the tree roots? Beyond that (I have a very long lawn) it is mostly moss. Moss looks like grass from a distance...
Epsom salts. The garden was south facing as you can see from this spring shot the poplars were tall and cast long shadows when fully leafed. Planting trees near a house is crazy, the first path was built as a root blocker. The trench was 6ft deep and filled with rubble and cement.
1603777016323.png
1603777395615.png

I'm in sheer luxury compared to you. You thought about moving coastal at all.? I have friends in Ulladulla, they love it there.!! Great garden as well.

Russ
Hubby's job is based out of Canberra and a lot of Defence work has to be done onsite and/or in person. We are about as far out on is feasible really. We could probably go another 15 minutes out but no further. Currently it is a 45 minute drive into Canberra (thats approx 65km) each way. Ironically, the road network in Canberra means that commuters in the City can actually spend longer commuting that hubby does, simply because of the shear scale of Canberra (size wise, not population wise ).

I did forget are the point going against anything and everything growing here. The sun. UV is exceptionally high all year round. Thats great for growing if there is the soil and water for it. But Water and the Sun combined is a major problem with leaf scorch. Burn spots on everything and anything in the garden. So no sprinkler unless the sun is going down because each drop of water forms a miniature magnifying glass for the sunshine and the leaf or wood or fabric below gets burnt long before it evaporates.

there's a lot and I mean massive amount of mulching that goes on here - assuming you can afford it. Sadly mulch is just something else for chickens to dig into and spread everywhere!

" Poplar tree roots exhibit some of the characteristics of an invasive root type. The fast-growing trees have their roots that send up suckers which form new poplar trees in all the directions. The undesired stem can germinate from stumps, cut trees, roots and even from the fallen branches. " The trick is to plant veg next to them that likes the environment. In the right hand picture you can see behind the last tree on the right Cara pots, they love well drained soil. We built a very large bonfire on the area. That kill all the surface root and left good drainage . I let the Merry Tiller rip the soil up enough for the spuds to do the rest. You then get a crop of baking pot of uniform size. This is the patch below
1603792013145.png
The next season to rotate I grew courgettes and a few marrow fats fronted with sun flowers. We had plenty of courgettes and fats in the main area. They were planted to be dug in as green compost not for crops but to improve the soil.
1603792421930.png
1603792457065.png
1603792614836.png

We had the sparks in this morning to replace a rotted garden light fitting (amongst other jobs).

That plus upgrading two lounge ceiling lights to LED, replacing two faulty light switches and carrying out an extensive cleaning of the consumer box - 17 quid.

Epsom salts. The garden was south facing as you can see from this spring shot the poplars were tall and cast long shadows when fully leafed. Planting trees near a house is crazy, the first path was built as a root blocker. The trench was 6ft deep and filled with rubble and cement. View attachment 49228View attachment 49229
Epsom salt is a magnesium fertilizer which suits places which are low on magnesium; otherwise it isn't that effective. You have a very nice looking garden! A six feet rubble & concrete trench is a very effective root blocker indeed; usually the depth of household paths is some 25-60 cm - depending on the soil type. Root blocking carpets are often used in landscaping, cable mounting, road construction and earthmoving industries so you've really dug the dirt to keep the roots in order.

Last edited:
My problems with the lawn are complicated.
1: I reside on a farm. It is 850 hectares or 2,500 acres. It is sheep farming country (merino). So, it's not highly fertile land.
2: I'm in the southern hemisphere as you're aware. So that's temperatures from -10°C to roughly 45°C and we're just having a wet period (by which I mean we've had 120 mm of rain in the last month! No, there's no zero missing 12 cm in all of October and 8cm of that has fallen since Saturday just gone)
3: I'm at an altitude high enough to affect yeast and breadmaking significantly and also affect our weather (2,800 feet) - Usually that means moisture in the form of clouds. Thunderstorms have a tendancy to miss us usually travelling between the mountains and down the plains. We see them, we hear them but we don't (usually) get their much needed water.
4: Australian soil is hydrophilic. I'm not kidding. It hates water. Water just beads on it and runs off or evaporates. The soil doesn't absorb it. Despite all the rain since the weekend, if I dig 5cm down the soil will be dry.
5: Watering has several problems. The 1st is that I'm on a private water supply. If it does not rain, the house has no water. The tank holds 22,000 litres and when it's empty the only option Is water from the dams that sheep (and every wild bird or animal or reptile... ) has access to. If it is allowed into the fresh water tank and hence pipes absolutely everything (tank, pipes ...) has to be sterilised before water coming out of the kitchen tap can be considered sterile and safe to drink again. And if there's no water in the tank, then we have no sanitation. And things like bleach, or hydrogen peroxide can't be used in large quantity because we're an a septic tank that is self draining and that drains into one of the fields.
6: Weeds... we can't remove them on mass because they are the only thing holding the soil down. Once the dry weather arrives, any soil not held down somehow is blown away literally. Dust storms are very common and often reduce visibility to less than 100m and block out the sun for days on end. The weeds are field mallow and Cape daisy mostly. Then there's what is known as Australian runner grass. It is not lawn grass at all! I do have a small patch of good grass. It was sewn when we first moved in. It had to be fenced off all round and from above. Australian birds (and other Aussie wildlife) are grassroot eaters by which I mean they eat the roots of grasses. Some of the Aussie specific wildlife is also root eaters. They evolved that way to cope with droughts when grass is dead above the soil.
7: I have chickens. About 20 of them. They eat grass. They dig holes. They are or would be if I had any, great at removing moss from a lawn. They are also great at removing the lawn.And when they find a dry spot with lovely fine dust for soil... Nothing will get grass growing there ever again. They love to dust bathe and a 4kg bird can dig a hole big enough to completely disappear!

Finally, and as if that's not enough all of the surrounding farmes (all sheep farmers) have given up trying to grow grass, ploughed their fields and sewn winter rye so that the sheep actually have something to eat !

As a rule, I don't feed anything in the veg plot either. But they do get watered. Very little water actually goes into the septic tank. There's an Aussie saying related to the toilet... roughly "if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down ". We've revised it slightly to " if you can smell it, flush it" lol.
All other water Is used somewhere in the garden. The cleanest goes to hebs. Next comes veg and the likes (fruiting trees etc) and finally really filthy water goes over flowers that I would like to keep alive during the hot summer. (When we shower, we stand in a very large tub. That is how much water you are allowed for the shower and once It is cold, it is used to water veg & fruit).

I just don't think I stand a chance.

I learnt to garden in the UK (mostly the north). I'm only just finishing my 5th winter here.
I'll see if I can find you a picture of my lawn! lol though I suspect a certain moderator will turn this into a new thread before long! :whistling:
It seems that the soil type and climate in outer Canberra is pretty much unsuitable for growing a lawn . :meh:

The answer is shade tolerant ground cover. It is low growing, green, and looks as nice (or nicer) than turfgrass, and can grow in shade. It is also lower maintenance than grass.

The front of my house faces North, and I have a big elm tree, so grass couldn't survive there. I used native plants and a shade tolerant ground cover in that area.

View attachment 49207

CD
Oh, you have a wonderful house and a neat little garden, caseydog. Crawling shrubs are a good option for low-leaved perennials in challenging areas. Cotoneaster dammeri (Bearberry Cotoneaster, below) is a popular ground cover.
cot.jpg

Bark mulch is often used as ground cover too; it keeps weeds from growing if the layer is thick enough (8-10 cm). If bark mulch is used, some extra fertilizer has to be added as bark mulch uses up nutrients while decomposing.

Foot blocking carpets are often used in landscaping, cable mounting, road construction and earthmoving industries so you've really dug the dirt to keep the roots in order.
The houses were built by my Dads cement company for management. We lived in the old hall near there as kids. Dad had a corridor of poplar trees planted between all the houses and the factory to block noise and dust. Very common practice when building a cement factory, so they new what the roots were capable of. He had the houses built with one outer course of brick then a gap then a double course of bricks not breeze blocks. The factory was virtually closed 35 yrs ago, as the ex management tenants left or died the company sold them off. I swooped when this one came up as it had the biggest garden.
I only started gardening when we moved there about twenty years ago. The garden and lawns were rough. A neighbor said Epsom bath salts, I never question his sage advice because his lawn was like green velvet. This was the first winter after feeding the lawn. As you can see there was no veg patches. I started them the next spring.
1604154926882.png

The houses were built by my Dads cement company for management. We lived in the old hall near there as kids. Dad had a corridor of poplar trees planted between all the houses and the factory to block noise and dust. Very common practice when building a cement factory, so they new what the roots were capable of. He had the houses built with one outer course of brick then a gap then a double course of bricks not breeze blocks. The factory was virtually closed 35 yrs ago, as the ex management tenants left or died the company sold them off. I swooped when this one came up as it had the biggest garden.
I only started gardening when we moved there about twenty years ago. The garden and lawns were rough. A neighbor said Epsom bath salts, I never question his sage advice because his lawn was like green velvet. This was the first winter after feeding the lawn. As you can see there was no veg patches. I started them the next spring.View attachment 49538
Poplars are the worst. My brother has blown his fuse over a large poplar in his backyard. It has lifted the foundations of his house, spread invasive suckers all over the garden - and become the pet of local environmental authorities who won't let him cut it down. Because of the location of the tree next to the house, in between two lots and on a densely populated residential area, growing potatoes or digging cement holes is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom