What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poplars are the worst. My brother has blown his fuse over a large poplar in his backyard. It has lifted the foundations of his house, spread invasive suckers all over the garden - and become the pet of local environmental authorities who won't let him cut it down.
Knowledge is king
Planting trees near a house is crazy,
This is the second lines of root defense, built to the same depth as the first.
1604156618752.png

What's going on in my garden?

Well, this isn't a photo of the garden proper, but the same stuff is going on in the garden, too:

Oct 31 2020.jpg

This stuff fell yesterday, but the photo was taken this morning at 8:30. A lot of it is melting now, with the intense sun, even though the tempurature right now is just a degree above freezing.

Overnight the lows were down to 17 degrees. That's F, not Celsius.

So, I can assure you, nothing much is going on in my garden....

Oh, you have a wonderful house and a neat little garden, caseydog. Crawling shrubs are a good option for low-leaved perennials in challenging areas. Cotoneaster dammeri (Bearberry Cotoneaster, below) is a popular ground cover.
View attachment 49532
Bark mulch is often used as ground cover too; it keeps weeds from growing if the layer is thick enough (8-10 cm). If bark mulch is used, some extra fertilizer has to be added as bark mulch uses up nutrients while decomposing.

I usually top-dress the mulch in that garden every year. This year, I didn't get around to doing it. Not a big deal, as that garden is in shade almost all day. It doesn't dry out in the sun.

CD

Just spent the morning repairing the fencing around the veg plot. wombats, chickens, wallabies, sheep and the occasional cow or two are all part and parcel of living rurally. Also to contend with are kangaroos and other bird life - cockatoos are not only very large but also very destructive.. The birds are a major hazzard my chooks included So I have to make sure that the veg plot fencing is in order and bluntly it was not.
Major repairs were needed and because the ground is once again totally waterlogged, hubby was helping out as well. No cutting the lawn/weeds this morning because the bottom half is under water and the top half is mud! No vehicles allowed anywhere near grass for the next couple of weeks. But the waterlogged ground did have one advantage. It is that soft that the star pickets were loose in the ground around the veg plot. the advantage of this being that I have been able to drive them much further into the ground and they are now all the same height as the veg plot fencing. Some going as much as another meter into the ground. So putting the bird netting over the top will be much easier now but being waterlogged has meant that I could not plant out the seedlings I wanted to get planted into the ground. This means that i'll have to transplant them into pots first tomorrows and then plant them on later. Annoying because I'll have to protect them from the chooks until they are in the ground. And that is often easier said than done.

And with all the rain, the chicks's enclosure is once again under water! Luckily this lot of chicks not being chook raised, don't know that they are not meant to like water so they are just getting on with life and paddling or simply standing knee deep in water!

Can you reach over and pick some?
She is like the Lady on the other side with the massive fig tree. They like you to pick them otherwise they have to pick them up off the floor. Yesterday the big pomegranate tree that overhangs the road below dropped about six. Cars ran over them before we got there. To put it into perspective we were buying 5 kgs of Neretva mandarins from vans in lay buy's for £1.

We thought the season was over but when we visited our summer place today (to cover the vegetable garden with a ground cover spread/textile), we still found several kilos of quality carrots beneath a thin, crispy layer of ground frost. It has been exceptionally warm here so we picked up all relatively solid and straight carrots and gave a bag to my father-in-law for Father's Day. We'll steam the rest tomorrow, cool and freeze them in slivers.
carr_1_.png

Today's visitor - a young cobra.

The female dog dispatched it eventually but received a spit in the eye. The vet has been round and given two injections and eye drops. He reckons that she should be OK which is more than one can say for the cobra.

Whilst we were walking home this morning I stopped to photograph the fruit trees in a neighbors garden. His son who speaks English came out and said Dad said help yourself as the wind has already started to knock the fruit down. We obliged. You can see some of the windfalls in this pic
1605871806198.png
1605871838673.png
nectarines
1605871892341.png
these are super sweet oranges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom