What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cucumbers growing, ready to pick in next day or so. Picked enough strawberries so made more jam./jelly. Gerkins/ pickles not far from bottling as well.
Things looking good despite the cold weather.

Russ

I have neighbors like that -- Longhorns...

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 5.58.46 PM.png

Brinkmann Ranch, Frisco, Tx

CD

When it comes to gardens, there's one that I can no longer consider 'my garden' that I did a lot of work in and spent some dollars on.

I stayed a couple years at the Veterans Home in Yountville, California, just north of Napa and while I was there cleaned up a Dorm's garden and improved it quite a bit. I figured I was doing something for my fellow Vets as well as keeping myself busy and both physically and mentally active.

IMG_4530.JPG

A previous Vet had invested a lot of time and cash in this garden, but he must have passed and it was buried in leaves and falling apart when I started to salvage it.

One of the things I did, besides adding a lot of exotic plants, was to build a system of Trellis works to allow Vines to grow on.

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

CB will only allow uploading 6 images, so this is the best I can show.

The garden was heavily shaded, so Shade Plants were put in often. I particularly like Clivia. There were sunny spots in the garden, so things were a good mix.

I left the Veterans Home as it proved to be too difficult on me. Most of the older WWII Vets were wonderful classy people, but the Viet Nam Vets were commisserates, self abusive, alcoholic and doing dope. It is not permitted at the home, but I soon found that the State workers administering there were corrupt and pushing the dope. As I did not do dope, I took a lot of abuse, including being poisoned twice in the chow hall. When I got my opportunity to get out, I did. So, the garden is no longer mine.

I learned one thing. Never allow yourself to be institutionalized and that includes any kind of old age retirement home, as far as I am concerned. Keep free.

When it comes to gardens, there's one that I can no longer consider 'my garden' that I did a lot of work in and spent some dollars on.

I stayed a couple years at the Veterans Home in Yountville, California, just north of Napa and while I was there cleaned up a Dorm's garden and improved it quite a bit. I figured I was doing something for my fellow Vets as well as keeping myself busy and both physically and mentally active.

View attachment 54005

A previous Vet had invested a lot of time and cash in this garden, but he must have passed and it was buried in leaves and falling apart when I started to salvage it.

One of the things I did, besides adding a lot of exotic plants, was to build a system of Trellis works to allow Vines to grow on.

View attachment 54006

View attachment 54007

View attachment 54008

View attachment 54010

View attachment 54011

CB will only allow uploading 6 images, so this is the best I can show.

The garden was heavily shaded, so Shade Plants were put in often. I particularly like Clivia. There were sunny spots in the garden, so things were a good mix.

I left the Veterans Home as it proved to be too difficult on me. Most of the older WWII Vets were wonderful classy people, but the Viet Nam Vets were commisserates, self abusive, alcoholic and doing dope. It is not permitted at the home, but I soon found that the State workers administering there were corrupt and pushing the dope. As I did not do dope, I took a lot of abuse, including being poisoned twice in the chow hall. When I got my opportunity to get out, I did. So, the garden is no longer mine.

I learned one thing. Never allow yourself to be institutionalized and that includes any kind of old age retirement home, as far as I am concerned. Keep free.
Amazing job good sir.

Russ

I don't have the patience, but my wife will like this. I'll show her later. I'm more into propagating.
You a nam vet?

Russ

No. I'm not a Nam Vet. I was entirely peace time. Went down to join before the Viet Nam Conflict ended, but was sworn in after. I left the military before the Beruit Bombings. They don't count the Cold War.

No. I'm not a Nam Vet. I was entirely peace time. Went down to join before the Viet Nam Conflict ended, but was sworn in after. I left the military before the Beruit Bombings. They don't count the Cold War.

Sorry I didn't want to open any bad memories for you. I worked with a woman who's husband was a nam vet, he used to disappear only to be found camping up trees. Very sad.

Russ

Sorry I didn't want to open any bad memories for you. I worked with a woman who's husband was a nam vet, he used to disappear only to be found camping up trees. Very sad.

Russ

Some Vets legitimately suffer PTSD (Post Traumatic Shock Disorder). Others fake it, I suppose. Having the gore of War hanging on a person day after day and not knowing whether you will buy the farm, is not an easy thing and in all Wars, never has been. You see things and experience threats that the average person never does, even if they are in a street gang or suffer family turmoil that causes stress. Even the gore of War Movies cannot prepare a soldier or a person who lives in a War Torn environment, to adjust to this. It takes a special type of person to tolerate and live through the facts of War. And there are some who can do it. I've always expected that I would be able to tolerate it, going into it with a mindset of expectation of those facts. But you never know.

Those who suffer PTSD deserve respect and compassion, although they might not be willing to accept either. Yet, turning to self abuse is not something I like to see in Vets and it is not restricted to PTSD Vets. There are Vets and people in general who have never seen the tragedies of War who decline and debase themselves with alcoholism and recreational drug use.

But enough on that topic.

This thread is about gardening.

Yesterday in the garden I saw 3 fan tails, I've never seen more than 1 at a time. A cat was also taking interest until I scared it off. Amazing little native bird. Maori name for it is pea-woka-woka.
Do you have native birds in your garden.?

Russ

Yesterday in the garden I saw 3 fan tails, I've never seen more than 1 at a time. A cat was also taking interest until I scared it off. Amazing little native bird. Maori name for it is pea-woka-woka.
Do you have native birds in your garden.?

Russ
We're inundated with cardinals, blue jays, and purple finches right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom