What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's basically just to level the land. It's deteriorated over the last few years and my wife finds it difficult to mow the grass. She'll probably do some planting also but up to now everything that has been planted has died.

Autumn has really started here and it's exceptionally dry. We've pretty much not had any rain except for 1 day when it rained that much the land couldn't manage the 20cm that happened in 90 minutes. Since then we're back to the really dry barren look again.

From where I'm sitting now on the veranda. As you can see the grass is totally dead.
DSC_2971.JPG

Then the front of the house with a few flowers, the courgettes and a couple of rugs drying...
DSC_2975.JPG

I've got a bottle brush bush that's trying to flower again in the veg plot. Incidentally this is the view from the bathroom/laundry. Some leaves, carrots and beetroot are still doing well in the new veg beds.
DSC_2980.JPG

The remains of the veg plot, pumpkins, kale, beetroot, carrots, fennel, rainbow chard, more kale, chilli, potatoes and leeks are to be found in the veg plot as well, plus this escapee I spied is doing well... An Atlantic pumpkin. I'll leave it as long as I can before harvesting it just as we leave on the 16th.
DSC_2981.JPG

DSC_2985.JPG

DSC_2989.JPG

DSC_2987.JPG

The view from the veg plot, more of our land...

I was wondering if this was the new or old place until I read your last line.

No wonder you'll miss it. It's won't be long and you make the new place yours.

I was wondering if this was the new or old place until I read your last line.

No wonder you'll miss it. It's won't be long and you make the new place yours.
The new place appears to get more rain, it's much greener than here but it's only 75-100m higher in elevation. But crucially it's the otherwise of the Great Dividing Range and closer to wetter areas. Hopefully the veg garden with more rain and less things eating it except for humans will be more productive!

We had a few Hoopoes visiting today. Unfortunately circumstances dictated that I shot into the sun. They are insect hunting amongst the fallen leelawadee blossoms.

hoopoo lelawadee 1 s.jpg

hoopoo lelawadee 2 s.jpg

This evening I took advantage of the delightful weather and mowed the front lawn and did a fair bit of weeding, it is still work in progress but we are getting there. The rain comes back tomorrow so won't get any more done for a while :(

I've never seen those birds before. They must be across a huge region if they can be seen in Thailand and the U.K.

Good on you Lullabelle. I need to do some tidying up in my veggie patch today and plant fresh kale plants & snow peas.

I spent some time at Xmas with my family about 5 hrs north of me and I encountered for the first time welcome swallows, they had a nest in the balcony outside the house we stayed in. They were amazing to watch, mum n dad feeding them and the young ones leaving the nest. It really was amazing for the wee ones to see. The nest was only a few feet from us. I'd never heard of welcome swallows but apparently they migrate to the pacific islands.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom