What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Strawberries picked
I haven't got any :cry: they wouldn't lady a minute been the rosellas, cockatoos or the chooks.

We've just decided to have a dedicated squashes patch. There a dead area under the roses in the middle of the lawn that is a nuisance to be honest. It is under planted with amarylis that don't really like water but they are spare bulbs so they can live or die accordingly, I've literally hundreds of them here. That area would be ideal for the squash. Lots of sunshine and some shade (last year wilting in the heat was a problem, they'd recover at night, but the hottest part of the day was an issue.) I don't really want them in the fenced in part of the veg plot (same with the courgettes) because of the space they take up but this area is ideal for them and any straying fronds can simply be wrapped back around into the patch. Plus if they want to climb the roses, they can! Now just to sort out where the dill, coriander and parsley are going, oh plus the oregano I forgot about that again and it needed water yet again this morning, poor thing!

This morning we had a lot of beautiful little birds in our garden, no doubt picking bugs off the trees. By the end of this month all the trees will be gone so we will need to have a good think about what we are going to do.

'First day home, plants badly needed watering, lawn mans just been so a soaking is in order. New plants up and ready to go out. 3 more water melon plants up. Carnations ready to repot to bigger pots. They are my fave flowers. Daughter watered garden on Saturday but forgot seedlings on a shelf. Just rescued them in time.

Russ

Well the tomatoes have been picked out and potted on. The dill and the garlic chives split into 3 and potted on. I've sewn the germinated cucumber seeds but hold out little hope. However I did find another courgette seed that is trying to germinate, so it has been replanted and 2 courgette seedlings growing alongside each other are now in separate pots.
The area this side of the first rose had been dug over, organic matter added (curiously smelling of olbas oil! ) and 4 squash plants planted out. Once established they'll be fine not attracting the attention of the chickens, but for now they're coveted over with mesh, not because the chooks want the plants but more that they want to dust bathe in the soil and pick it over for bugs. Finally a few flowering plants have been planted around the base of the veranda (mostly nasturniums because its handy and close for me for eating their flowers and the odd leaf or two. )

Otherwise the remainder of the potatoes were planted out a few days ago. So were some other veg, but I've still got quite a bit to get done. I had hoped to use the cooler temperatures if this week, but a dodgy left hip (no idea it's a new injury) and a torn rotator cuff muscle in my right shoulder are slowing my already slow pace down even further!

:rain: well it is November.
Tell me about it. Spent the day in the garden desperately trying to dig holes and keep chooks out of them whilst I planted out some more veg. Only for tonight to have to light the fire, and cover all my seedlings, tomatoes, dill, fennel, sweet potatoes, and a few other bits like those newly planted out squashes which are not hardy.
4°C tonight expected (range is 2°C to 4°C).

Saturday night they are forecasting 1°C and snow above 1,000m (which means at 860m were are also at risk of some snow as well.)

The rest of the veg plot (runner brands, broad beans, peas, snow peas, carrots, beetroot, spinach and so on) will have to take its chances. Only the potatoes will be safe because they are still tucked safely away underground.

Last edited:
My garden is pretty much done for this season. My rosemary and oregano plants will keep going through the winter, but everything else is done after our first freeze last week. My thyme plant would usually last through the winter, but it was damaged by the arborists who groomed my live oak tree. It was getting pretty leggy, so I didn't make a fuss. I'll plant a new one in the Spring, in some fresh soil and compost.

So, you folks down under will have to take over for us up here for the next few months.

CD

My garden is pretty much done for this season. My rosemary and oregano plants will keep going through the winter, but everything else is done after our first freeze last week. My thyme plant would usually last through the winter, but it was damaged by the arborists who groomed my live oak tree. It was getting pretty leggy, so I didn't make a fuss. I'll plant a new one in the Spring, in some fresh soil and compost.

So, you folks down under will have to take over for us up here for the next few months.

CD

Yeah, it seems me and satnav are the only two planting out. 30 deg c here few days ago, now 14 deg c.
Coriander/ cilantro growing like mad in the greenhouse, basil just starting to take off, cucumber plants planted out along with gerkins/ pickles. Watermelons in a day or so.tomatoes are flowering and strawberries being picked. Summer starts here 1st December. Peas being picked.
It's happening in wife's garden.

Russ

In a couple of weeks time the trees in our back garden are being cut down and taken away so this morning my husband was sorting out a few things and he moved the stand with the bird feeders so I have just given them a good clean and filled up, 1 with seed 2 with fat balls.
I now sat on the sofa thawing out :cold:

rascal, exact opposite here.
Managed to get 2 hours digging in this morning from 7am to 9am before it got too hot.

I was able to eat what needed watering. But couldn't plant out what needed planting out. But very hot dry weather isn't a good time to be planting out. Hopefully I'll get chance to divide a few plants this afternoon, but I'm hiding in the house at the moment at least until the sun leaves the veranda. Then I may sit out or I may revarnish the patio table. I've also got the gas BBQ to clean now I have the suitable cleaner.

Otherwise the garden is getting left to itself today. I'll get another couple of hours in tomorrow as well hopefully. But tomorrow is meant to be hotter, drier and windier and generally not a good day to be out.

rascal, exact opposite here.
Managed to get 2 hours digging in this morning from 7am to 9am before it got too hot.

I was able to eat what needed watering. But couldn't plant out what needed planting out. But very hot dry weather isn't a good time to be planting out. Hopefully I'll get chance to divide a few plants this afternoon, but I'm hiding in the house at the moment at least until the sun leaves the veranda. Then I may sit out or I may revarnish the patio table. I've also got the gas BBQ to clean now I have the suitable cleaner.

Otherwise the garden is getting left to itself today. I'll get another couple of hours in tomorrow as well hopefully. But tomorrow is meant to be hotter, drier and windier and generally not a good day to be out.

We had weird sun yesterday, red glow from nsw fires. All that fires and smoke is unbelievable the strength of it. 65 huge fires along the coast. Sounds like you're ok??

Russ

Russ

Sounds like you're ok??
Not sure. They've upgraded our local fire risk from severe to extreme, so from level 4 to level 5 out of 6. It's only been that high once before whilst we've been living here in Australia. Basically if there's a fire, there is a distinct chance of loss of life.
Extreme is the get out before it is too late. Level 6 is you've left it too late, do what you can to survive but don't use a motor vehicle.

Our whole area is bone dry. It's a tinder box. We've lost huge old eucalyptus trees over winter because of the lack of water. Too little, too late.
We need to talk it over tonight as to whether I stay here tomorrow or visit a friend in the city. She'll be working but I can stay if I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom