What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad we don't get your conditions satnav, second lot of new potatoes are ready, carnations are out. Wife's dahlias also. Wife took our neighbour (an Indian) a cabbage courgettes and butter beans and a hand full of chillies. He's a good cook and thanked her profusely.

Russ

My garden is dormant. The rosemary and oregano are green, but not growing. They are just waiting for spring to take off. My thyme didn't make it this year. It was already weak from a hot summer where I was out of town a lot, and my irrigation system was sketchy.

The rest of the garden is covered with a thick layer of ground up leaves that is slowly turning to compost.

By this time next month, I should be able to plant new peppers and herbs. We are hitting the swing season. It is 27F outside right now, and is expected to be 79F on Sunday afternoon. 52 degrees in two days. That's winter in North Texas.

I don't know what peppers I'll plant this year, other than 100-percent sure I'll plant cayenne peppers. They are so versatile for so many kinds of cooking. They are a good substitute for a lot of small red peppers. They are my "utility" pepper.

Maybe I'll cut back on pepper plants, and do more herbs. I need to think about it.

CD

The wild garlic has broken the surface, spring is on its way.
...a few daisies on my garden lawn. Thyme has survived through Winter (so far). There is also lots of sage and rosemary and the bronze fennel is throwing up new fronds. Weirdly, I found a black olive on the potted (for ornament only, really) olive tree today.

My garden is dormant. The rosemary and oregano are green, but not growing. They are just waiting for spring to take off. My thyme didn't make it this year. It was already weak from a hot summer where I was out of town a lot, and my irrigation system was sketchy.

The rest of the garden is covered with a thick layer of ground up leaves that is slowly turning to compost.

By this time next month, I should be able to plant new peppers and herbs. We are hitting the swing season. It is 27F outside right now, and is expected to be 79F on Sunday afternoon. 52 degrees in two days. That's winter in North Texas.

I don't know what peppers I'll plant this year, other than 100-percent sure I'll plant cayenne peppers. They are so versatile for so many kinds of cooking. They are a good substitute for a lot of small red peppers. They are my "utility" pepper.

Maybe I'll cut back on pepper plants, and do more herbs. I need to think about it.

CD

We have chillies coming out of our ears ATM. Basil and coriander/cilantro as well. I'll get pics later.

Russ

The Lemon tree survived by the skin of its teeth. We had been watering it along with the Sweet potatoes, potatoes, rhubarb, 2 olive trees (in pots), rosemary, savoury, thyme (may not have survived), grapes, tomatoes and one or two other bits but we lost so much this year. There just wasn't the water to water them all even with the colosal amount of recycling of water that I do.
I simply didn't have anything spare. I'm also not sure what else I can recycle. I might be able to get the water from the washing machine. My washing powder is septic tank friendly and also interestingly "grey water friendly". It only feeds into a hole in the laundry sink in typical Aussie fashion, so I can just lift it out and collect the water. Just have to make sure I'm home until I know how much water each of my main washes uses.

Water restrictions here, of which I totally ignore, as our council granted water rights to Chinese company. In fact I'll prolly use a lot more. Everything still growing well, picking corn and new potatoes. Chillies everyday, green and red for Thai curries later.

Russ

Wife picked 31chillies yesterday, courgettes green and yellow this morning. Cucumber from greenhouse and other summer things are ready, lettuces spring onions and radishes etc.
Daughter is using courgettes for okinomiyaki tomorrow. I'm making a Thai red curry paste for during the week.

Russ

This morning we went to our local garden centre to buy a bird seed feeder so this afternoon I will hang it and top up the 2 fatball feeders.
Not garden related but I also bought a large clear pot because I want to put 4 baby orchids in there to encourage them to do something, also want to take cuttings from our lime trees.

This afternoon I spent some time in the front garden, trimming the edge of the lawn, weeding and general tidying. A glorious sunny day so it was a joy, also got chatted up by the bin lorry driver :wink:

I took a look in my herb garden this morning, and it looks like my chives, sage, thyme, and oregano (and a flower) have survived the winter.

Rosemary, which I figured to be the hardiest, is deader than dead, as is the parsley, basil, and dill.

Ciao,
Greenhouse go well, outside things start. Look forward to pick Dandelion leaf they beautiful in salad. Soon should able to pick.
I took a look in my herb garden this morning, and it looks like my chives, sage, thyme, and oregano (and a flower) have survived the winter.

Rosemary, which I figured to be the hardiest, is deader than dead, as is the parsley, basil, and dill.
My Rosemary look like been in hurricane but still alive.

Sarana x

If you need plants nurseries associated with big box stores are open. So are small independent nurseries. If they sell vegetable plants they are considered essential. At least in Louisiana.

If you need plants nurseries associated with big box stores are open. So are small independent nurseries. If they sell vegetable plants they are considered essential. At least in Louisiana.

They aren't open here. However, some hardware stores are open which have gardening sections attached.

They aren't open here. However, some hardware stores are open which have gardening sections attached.

Our local garden center do a cracking breakfast, hardware stores do not :(

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom