What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very pleasantly tired, sweaty and dirty . I took care of my herb pots except for 2 pots of rosemary that need soil refreshed.
Tomorrow, early I will begin work on refreshing the soil in my garden boxes. Then plant. I found all of the herbs that I wanted. I did not find any eggplant and would like a couple each Anaheim and Fresno peppers.
Lucked out and found heirloom tomato plants. 🌱
I forgot how good digging in the dirt makes me feel. Wonderful therapy.
🤗

Silly me. I seriously overestimated my stamina and my ability to work in this heat 87 degrees F
Thankfully the humidity is low. This morning I fiddled with my herb pots.
They sit on round concrete stones. After moving the pots I found lots of St. Augustine (lawn grass) and dollar weed (penny wort) growing under and around the pavers. Removed the pavers and treated the area with boiling water . I could have used chemicals but I am adverse to chemicals in the yard especially around culinary plants. I sometimes have to resort to biologics for tomato horn worms.
So after the boiling water treatment I used the weed eater. Then move the stones back into place. Then moved the herb pots .
George is almost through mowing the lawn. When done he will back the trailer of soil close to my garden boxes. Then I can work on refreshing the soil .
I can now see that I will be lucky to finish this project tomorrow. Actually not a bad thing. Working outside, being a "dirty girl ", sweating buckets and using muscles that have not been used in a while is wonderful therapy . So is anticipating the beautiful vegetables and herbs that I will harvest
G is almost done with the mowing . Back to work soon .

my ability to work in this heat 87 degrees F

Blimey! All I can say is that I simply can't imagine doing anything in that temperature, let alone physical work. Last time it was that temperature here I had to sit in front of a fan with wet flannels (face cloths) draped over me all day.

When you live in south Louisiana you adapt. Temperatures this high in March is a little unusual but not unheard of. Later in the summer you will hear me b!tching. Temps in the upper 90' with an equal amount of humidity.
Killer.
Utility bills in the winter are very low. Through the roof in the summer
🙄

Silly me. I seriously overestimated my stamina and my ability to work in this heat 87 degrees F
Thankfully the humidity is low. This morning I fiddled with my herb pots.
They sit on round concrete stones. After moving the pots I found lots of St. Augustine (lawn grass) and dollar weed (penny wort) growing under and around the pavers. Removed the pavers and treated the area with boiling water . I could have used chemicals but I am adverse to chemicals in the yard especially around culinary plants. I sometimes have to resort to biologics for tomato horn worms.
So after the boiling water treatment I used the weed eater. Then move the stones back into place. Then moved the herb pots .
George is almost through mowing the lawn. When done he will back the trailer of soil close to my garden boxes. Then I can work on refreshing the soil .
I can now see that I will be lucky to finish this project tomorrow. Actually not a bad thing. Working outside, being a "dirty girl ", sweating buckets and using muscles that have not been used in a while is wonderful therapy . So is anticipating the beautiful vegetables and herbs that I will harvest
G is almost done with the mowing . Back to work soon .

I know exactly what you mean, I picked fresh basil yesterday, the smell on my hands is amazing. I made fresh pesto for our cheese platter last night. Daughter put it all together. Toasted pine nuts the pesto was beautiful.

Raining here again, so I'll only duck outside for a while.

Russ

Lovely spring flowers abound. First cut of the grass yesterday. Fruit trees coming into flower, and there's enough rhubarb to make a decent pudding.

It rained here as well. 20mm of rain in roughly 8 hrs. My veg plot flooded.
I ended up digging a trench through the middle of it to channel water away from my potatoes which were drowning in water! I kid not.

Mind you I've refound the rhubarb, it's flowering and had masses of leaves, fresh young ones...

I've still got several wheelbarrow loads of wild rocket, some fresh peas, chillies and sorrell.

I must get my winter crop in soon though because whilst we are forecast several days of 28°C next week, we are also forecast several nights and early mornings of 3°C. But my prediction is that only 1 of those will happen, not both!

A storm blew through last night. Fierce winds and a possibility of hail. Fortunately we did not get the hail. That would have messed up my tender young plants.
The tomatoes will soon be ready to start tying up on the string .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom