What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - bad information.
Do NOT put in direct sun. A warm dry place with good air circulation.
I should have actually done some homework before drying herbs.

Fan folded foil

For dill and thyme

That is going on the dresser in the spare bedroom with the ceiling fan on.

Rosemary and sage

Hanging from a ceiling fan that stays on all day. I think I have the air circulation down on that one.

In my deep south region Rosemary is perennial. So is Thyme. Sage will last two or three years. Basil and Dill are annuals - a misnomer. Annual does not mean that the plant will last for a year. Annuals will last for a season. In my climate Dill and Basil are only good for a couple of months. They bolt (flower and seed) very quickly. I keep seeds sprouting to replenish my plants all spring/summer and fall. I have tried growing oregano unsuccessfully for several years. I am very pleased to say that I have two pots of happy oregano. Parsley and scallions are also doing well. We have had a lot of rain recently so water has not been an issue. I am disappointed with my tomatoes. I love Heirloom tomatoes. The problem is that they are not virus or disease resistant. I think I have a soil born virus issue.😭 The only remedy is to empty my boxes and add new soil next season (fall).

As your basil starts to flower, cut the flowers off. If you keep doing that, the basil can't go to seed, and will keep growing. My basil plant survives until October, or even November. Every time I see new flowering "pods," I snip them off with scissors.

CD

My basil and pepper plants (planted this year) are healthy looking, but are barely growing. It is still May, so hopefully I just need to be patient.

CD

As your basil starts to flower, cut the flowers off. If you keep doing that, the basil can't go to seed, and will keep growing. My basil plant survives until October, or even November. Every time I see new flowering "pods," I snip them off with scissors.

CD
I do but they eventually get out of hand.

CD
I wonder if this works with wild garlic plants?

No headstone? Sorry that was mean. :giggle:

It looks like you have a nice selection of herbs there.
It's funny you should say that. I put this is sometime last year, out of boredom, using leftover pavers, bricks, and block that I had lying around. It's shifted/settled a bit now, but when I first finished it, it was rather sleek-looking, if I do say so myself, and I was quite pleased, because I have a reputation of half-assing projects like that.

MrsTasty was out of town, I did that while she was gone, and I posted a pic and mentioned all that, and someone commented back, "If I were your wife, and I came home to that, I'd be sleeping with one eye open!" :laugh:

There's oregano, thyme, chives, rosemary, parsley, basil, and dill in there, as well as a flower from last year that came back. Oh, and mint. You all warned me about the mint last year, so I pulled it all up, but now it's back.

I'd like to get some flower boxes for the sides as well, I love having a lot of flowers around, but MrsTasty doesn't like spending the scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom