What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardiness Zones look at the average first and last frost dates and the extreme lows temperatures for a particular region. Most fruit and vegetable plants sold in the U.S. have the hardiness zone on the tag. The Hardiness Zone is really just a general guide. Depending on the chart I am in either zone 9a or 9b. Those zones stretch all across the continental U.S.
Different regions within the same zone can not all grow the same crops - especially fruit trees. The best source of information is the local Extension Office.
In the U.S. each state has a Land Grant University. The Universities receive land and financial grants to establish an agriculture research program to study the proper way to grow crops and develop new hybrids. Each county in each state has an extension office. LSU is my Land Grant University. They have published a Louisiana Vegetable Planting Guide. In Texas A&M is the Land Grant University. The LSU research station in in the Baton Rouge area. Their planting guide is spot on for me. Gardeners in the northern part of the state have to adjust/delay planting dates b y 2 or 3 weeks. Texas is another story. A&M's research center is in College Station. Gardeners in West Texas are better served by following the planting guidelines established by New Mexico.
Are you confused yet?

Great post! It explains things well. Texas A&M has multiple research centers. There is one in Plano (just North of Dallas). That works well for me.

CD

I don't know how big your garden is, but if its only small and/or you don't have the space to store a hose on a reel then a cheap expanding hose is a really good solution.

Its the width of the house (terraced Victorian) so quite narrow but extremely long and mainly grass (or rather moss, grass and bare patches!).

This was taken a month or so back when cherry trees were in blossom. You can see it goes right back and there are steps up to another bit which is covered on bark.

And the bit you can't see above looking back at thehouse:

Its the width of the house (terraced Victorian) so quite narrow but extremely long and mainly grass (or rather moss, grass and bare patches!).

This was taken a month or so back when cherry trees were in blossom. You can see it goes right back and there are steps up to another bit which is covered on bark.

Those blossom trees are really lovely :okay: but you'd need a very long hosepipe to reach all the way to the bottom!
Established grass doesn't actually need watering though - it'll go brown after a period of dry weather but it'll come back green again when it rains. Given they're talking in the news at the moment about possible water shortages (due to a huge increase in demand because everyone is at home all day) unless you really want it to be green then I'd be tempted to just leave it.

View attachment 41468

View attachment 41469

View attachment 41470
Your yard/garden is lovely. I love the feel of privacy and intimacy.

Established grass doesn't actually need watering though - it'll go brown after a period of dry weather but it'll come back green again when it rains. Given they're talking in the news at the moment about possible water shortages (due to a huge increase in demand because everyone is at home all day) unless you really want it to be green then I'd be tempted to just leave it.

Thank you - I will see how it goes then and wait. There is possibly a little rain tomorrow but not much forecast after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom