What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone grow culinary herbs indoors, like in the kitchen? Whenever I watch this or that cooking show, they've always got pots of herbs up on the window sill or on the counter somewhere, and they just casually snip off what they need.

I've made half-hearted attempts at growing them indoors in the past, but never had much luck. Then again, I have one tiny window in my kitchen, so not a lot of natural light.
I have grown them in my windowsill before, but you know how Ohio winters go. Not much sun from October to March. Although we have a lot of windows, we also have a lot of trees, so I would basically have to move them from the front window facing E in the morning to the W side of the house in late afternoon if I wanted them to be able to get the sun they need to survive. I had bought tarragon, oregano, and something else (maybe it was basil, can't remember) in September. They were all dead by December.

Now I will chop off a large branch of basil and keep it in a vase on my sink to use in the course of a few days so I don't have to go out and cut and wash what is needed each day. My MIL did that with a large branch I gave her and it rooted, so she planted it and now has a basil plant of her own.

Does anyone grow culinary herbs indoors, like in the kitchen? Whenever I watch this or that cooking show, they've always got pots of herbs up on the window sill or on the counter somewhere, and they just casually snip off what they need.

I've made half-hearted attempts at growing them indoors in the past, but never had much luck. Then again, I have one tiny window in my kitchen, so not a lot of natural light.
I'm going to have to figure this out in a month or so, I think. I've been happy with how robust my sweet basil, Thai basil, oregano, and serrano peppers have been with the hot summer. It looks like the chives will last longer before they need to be transplanted, but none of them will survive a Michigan winter outdoors.

I'm going to have to figure this out in a month or so, I think. I've been happy with how robust my sweet basil, Thai basil, oregano, and serrano peppers have been with the hot summer. It looks like the chives will last longer before they need to be transplanted, but none of them will survive a Michigan winter outdoors.
I've had chives come back after some harsh winters. We do get temps below 0 F here on occasion, though not as often as where you are.

I've had chives come back after some harsh winters. We do get temps below 0 F here on occasion, though not as often as where you are.
If we have a normal winter, I think the chives will be fine. If we have a winter like last year, when temps fell to -10°F (-23°C)? Not a chance. I suspect, by the time I make a decision to transplant, the ground will be so cold that I won't be able to break it with a shovel.

No need here, herbs about 10 steps from my back doors.

Russ

I have a great window for growing herbs in my kitchen. It is big, faces South, and the tree that shades it in the summer loses all its leaves in the winter. Problem is, they always end up with gnats or fruit flies in them -- and all over the house.

CD

No need here, herbs about 10 steps from my back doors.

Russ

Same thing here, except for tender herbs like basil. But, I use basil more in summer foods than winter foods. It is a "fresher" tasting herb.

I can get oregano, thyme and rosemary all year long -- even if it snows. Rosemary is my most used "winter" herb. It is good in soups, braises and stews -- winter food.

CD

Same thing here, except for tender herbs like basil. But, I use basil more in summer foods than winter foods. It is a "fresher" tasting herb.

I can get oregano, thyme and rosemary all year long -- even if it snows. Rosemary is my most used "winter" herb. It is good in soups, braises and stews -- winter food.

CD

Snap.

Russ

My garden is still alive. That's about all I can say. My basil plant just won't give up. It is small, and the leaves are small, but they taste good. My pepper plant was attached by caterpillars, but has some leaves left, and even a few peppers.

The oregano, rosemary and thyme are doing fine. This heat doesn't get to them.

CD

Basil is the only thing I could grow at home, that plant seems to never die. I gave up growing it a home because I don't use a lot of basil and that plant grows a lot and it seemed like it was going on forever if I didn't get rid of it.

TastyReuben I've had basil indoors and it gets along really well with low maintenance. I've also had parsley, cilantro and thyme. The thyme dies very easily, the parsley and cilantro weren't very fragrant and once again died easily. I've also had small pepper and they get along well with low maintenance.

Were those petunias? I really like those flowers and they are easy to keep at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom