What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it so much that but for covid we would be off to Serbia to be with relatives in January for Orthodox Christmas and New Year. Thermal double trap door long johns and santa sex

, you can't beat it

Just finished the almost daily ritual of removing new growth from my grape vine. I had never before grasped the fact that grape vines need such constant attention is they are to produce grapes bigger than small peas!

Mine, it would seem, would prefer me to harvest vine leaves the size of plates than any grapes and with such a short season for a tender crop despite being in a cold vine region (in fact the area I'm in is actually known for several excellent wines including one named after the very location I'm 'at'.)

In order to encourage it to produce fruit it has to be constant cut back removing new growth and leaving only a small number of stems and leaves for the grapes to form on. Right now mine has only just started to flower! So any be buds and all new growth now has to be removed to get the flowers to fruit and then the bunches have to be thinned to get the fruit to form any size. Mine are a seeded red grape with some wonderful flavour if you get fruit. We didn't last year anywhere in the area due to all fruit (not just grapes, but olives and many others as well) being tainted with the smoke from the bush fires.

Last edited:
I bought the seeds as naga morich but found that they are some kind of hybrid green chillies. (After that I took seeds from actual naga morich to plant.)
View attachment 52077

I always think of Naga chillies as red, round shaped and super hot. These are very different. Are the hot?

Ah - I checked the link. They should have been round (lantern) shaped so yes, what you have must be hybrid or some other kind of chilli.

We've had cardinals (Ohio state bird) all over the back yard, dozens of them, so I bought sunflower seed for them and scattered it all over the back deck...nothing. Finicky! :laugh:

I always think of Naga chillies as red, round shaped and super hot. These are very different. Are the hot?

Ah - I checked the link. They should have been round (lantern) shaped so yes, what you have must be hybrid or some other kind of chilli.
Naga chillies are red and super hot yes. Even the green ones are really hot. Ones in the photo are much milder. I have naga chillies too. Will take a photo tomorrow if there are any red ones.

Naga chillies are red and super hot yes. Even the green ones are really hot. Ones in the photo are much milder. I have naga chillies too. Will take a photo tomorrow if there are any red ones.

Nagas are one of my favourite chillies along with Scotch Bonnet which are similar.

Please can you post some recipes from Sri Lanka (preferably with chilli)?

We've had cardinals (Ohio state bird) all over the back yard, dozens of them, so I bought sunflower seed for them and scattered it all over the back deck...nothing. Finicky! :laugh:

Mice got into wife's sunflower seeds, ate the lot, so we have no sunflowers. I grew two types the yellow and moulin rouge, a red sunflower. I've asked her to,stock up,again. And store in metal containers.

Russ

All of the chili peppers I grew both in the UK garden and on the balcony in Znjan ripened and turned red. To Quote "When growing, most chili peppers start off green, and then turn red, orange or purple as they ripen. ... Chili peppers generally get hotter as they ripen, but a lot of varieties are also picked and sold when they are still green and with only mild heat, such as the jalapeño." I am not sure what these were called but when red they were very hot.

All of the chili peppers I grew both in the UK garden and on the balcony in Znjan ripened and turned red. To Quote "When growing, most chili peppers start off green, and then turn red, orange or purple as they ripen. ... Chili peppers generally get hotter as they ripen, but a lot of varieties are also picked and sold when they are still green and with only mild heat, such as the jalapeño." I am not sure what these were called but when red they were very hot.View attachment 52125

View attachment 52127

View attachment 52128

I have seafood Thai curry that uses yellow chillies. I'm growing them ATM.

Russ

Russers mate the weird thing in Croatia is that the traditional cuisine is bland. So a plate of small chili's is a normal side to be eaten raw in conjunction with the main or cheese course. I asked my relatives why the don't add them when cooking, the response was tradition. They love our spicy food, when they visited us in the UK the loved going to Indian and Chinese restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom