What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021-01-08 17.25.02.jpg

Turmeric. Boiled and ready for sun drying.

When it comes to gardens, there's one that I can no longer consider 'my garden' that I did a lot of work in and spent some dollars on.

I stayed a couple years at the Veterans Home in Yountville, California, just north of Napa and while I was there cleaned up a Dorm's garden and improved it quite a bit. I figured I was doing something for my fellow Vets as well as keeping myself busy and both physically and mentally active.

View attachment 54005

A previous Vet had invested a lot of time and cash in this garden, but he must have passed and it was buried in leaves and falling apart when I started to salvage it.

One of the things I did, besides adding a lot of exotic plants, was to build a system of Trellis works to allow Vines to grow on.

View attachment 54006

View attachment 54007

View attachment 54008

View attachment 54010

View attachment 54011

CB will only allow uploading 6 images, so this is the best I can show.

The garden was heavily shaded, so Shade Plants were put in often. I particularly like Clivia. There were sunny spots in the garden, so things were a good mix.

I left the Veterans Home as it proved to be too difficult on me. Most of the older WWII Vets were wonderful classy people, but the Viet Nam Vets were commisserates, self abusive, alcoholic and doing dope. It is not permitted at the home, but I soon found that the State workers administering there were corrupt and pushing the dope. As I did not do dope, I took a lot of abuse, including being poisoned twice in the chow hall. When I got my opportunity to get out, I did. So, the garden is no longer mine.

I learned one thing. Never allow yourself to be institutionalized and that includes any kind of old age retirement home, as far as I am concerned. Keep free.
If you use the media gallery you can upload as many as you want to an album in the MG. Then use the camera icon in the toolbar to add them into your post. There should be no limits on additions in to posts that way. You'll also find file upload sizes are larger both in pixels and in Mb.

If you use the media gallery you can upload as many as you want to an album in the MG. Then use the camera icon in the toolbar to add them into your post. There should be no limits on additions in to posts that way. You'll also find file upload sizes are larger both in pixels and in Mb.
Thanks for the heads up.

Nice lastmanstanding, how much better are they compared to normal, bought ones? Stay healthy
There isn't much difference in strength but these are fresh and I can dry it to the degree I like them. Or can be used green too. These are what is found under the clove trees every morning. Our cloves are not yet harvested. But maybe in two or three days.

Not a very good pic, but this was yesterday, a couple of cardinals and some juncos having a snack:

Some sad news, I think: we've watched a family of deer come through our yard several times over the last few weeks. We always laugh because the youngest is the slowest/laziest, always a few minutes behind the rest, looking around like he's lost, then he catches up.

A few days ago, they came through again, and one of them was trotting on three legs, the fourth being cut and covered in a good bit of blood.

I fear that one is no more. The family came through today...one animal short. We watched and waited quite a while, but it never appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom