What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what she said it was when she handed it over, so I’m taking her at her word! :laugh:

Its almost certainly lilac - perhaps a slip of the tongue on her part?

I like your orchids!
Thank you. Orchids and I go back to my childhood. The UK has an amazing variety of wild orchids that I've driven the entire length of the country to find (but which i mean from Kent in the south east to the very far north on the north west coast of the Outer Hebrides which is a set of islands off the very far north west coast of Scotland...)

I also used to have 30 or more plants growing indoors when we lived in the UK, including some rare blue flowered air orchids. Sadly I had to get rid of them when we went off to cycle around the world. And to my dismay, I've yet to find anywhere in Australia selling anything other than "bog standard" orchids. And the orchids show in Canberra hasn't happened for a couple of years now...

Thank you. Orchids and I go back to my childhood. The UK has an amazing variety of wild orchids that I've driven the entire length of the country to find (but which i mean from Kent in the south east to the very far north on the north west coast of the Outer Hebrides which is a set of islands off the very far north west coast of Scotland...)

I also used to have 30 or more plants growing indoors when we lived in the UK, including some rare blue flowered air orchids. Sadly I had to get rid of them when we went off to cycle around the world. And to my dismay, I've yet to find anywhere in Australia selling anything other than "bog standard" orchids. And the orchids show in Canberra hasn't happened for a couple of years now...
I had no idea that orchids grew wild in the UK, fascinating! I always assumed in cooler climates they would have to be grown in a hothouse.

I had no idea that orchids grew wild in the UK, fascinating! I always assumed in cooler climates they would have to be grown in a hothouse.
Nope, there are hardy orchids growing in quite extreme environments. If you were to look up the machair which is a unique beach environment in the Outer Hebrides, (it's a amazing environment) you'll see it is prime orchid land. The UK is home to around 52 species of wild (native) orchids.

We also used to have several thousand specimens ranging from the Early Purple Orchid (which will be in flower in the UK in the next week or two) to the Southern Marsh Orchid, Common Spotted and Heath Spotted orchids growing in the woodland and lawn where we used to live in the south of England. It wasn't uncommon to find self seeded Orchids (usually common spotted or heath spotted) growing in long standing (aka undisturbed for years) plant pots.

I'd better stop there else I'll go on about them for hours. By the way, I do have tiger orchids flowing close to where we live now. And i found a blotched Hyacinth orchid last summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom