What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referencing those two posts above, that’s a month in from getting these planted.

You can see that while they look ok, they don’t look better than that, and that’s down to the murderous heat we’ve had.

I’ll also point out that last photo in the first post, the one with petunias all one color - I haven’t planted that for years; they just keep popping up on their own, year after year!

Habaneros after 14 days. Sun virtually overhead.

Single habanero plant after eight weeks. It hasn't grown much in the last seven days.

The packet says that they should be ready for "harvest" after 12 to 20 weeks. It's going to have to pull it's socks up.

Err, We're under water again.
We're actually having to run water out of one of our tanks next to the house because the ground is that waterlogged that the outlet is effectively blocked by water!. It's so bad that it's running out of the inlet which is next to the house. The outlet is on the far side away from the house. The tank has a bulge in it ⅖rds of the way up.

I'm using a hose to get the water the other side of the veg plot because it is under water yet again. We were forecast 5mm of rain today. After 18hrs we're at 28.5mm of rain with a week of rain forecast. Guessing we may not actually be going out tomorrow if the road floods in the valley or our dirt road gets washed away.

Referencing those two posts above, that’s a month in from getting these planted.

You can see that while they look ok, they don’t look better than that, and that’s down to the murderous heat we’ve had.

I’ll also point out that last photo in the first post, the one with petunias all one color - I haven’t planted that for years; they just keep popping up on their own, year after year!

Do you dead head them?

Nothing better than rain for your crops. Our zucchini is not doing well. Not close enough to cross pollinate. Tomatoes, OK. DH the challenger will not let me prune the tomato plants and they're getting leggy. My bought flower planters are thriving and look gorgeous. Basil is growing like crazy.

Our zucchini is not doing well. Not close enough to cross pollinate.
Courgettes/zucchini are pollinated by byes primarily, then any flying insect. They are not wind pollinated. Plus the first set of flowers on the plant are usually male (on a long thin stem with no fruit at the base). You have to wait for your plant to start producing female flowers before you'll get fruit.

Hot dry weather also triggers the plant to produce only male flowers, so make sure they have enough water.

It is possible to pollinate the female flowers yourself.
How to Pollinate Zucchini by Hand - FineGardening (this site restricts how many times you can visit it for free, so don't close the tab/window down until you're sure you understand the article or are not integrated in pollinating by hand to get courgettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom